Installing e-lockers and regearing: DIY or take it into a shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 LX450 200K miles, 295/75/16, mild lift kit with OME BP51's. I'd like to put in the eaton E-lockers and possibly regear to 456. I did an install of a Trutrac on my front D60 axle for my 93 F350 so I have a good idea of what I am getting into with this but wanted to get input here on whether it might be better to take it in for this job. I got one quote and it was about $2k for the labor. What are the trusted shops in the San Diego area that would be a good choice if I decide to take it in?

You could order pre-built diffs from East Coast Gear Supply with the gears and lockers you desire. When the diffs arrive, you pull yours and put then into the boxes the rebuilt ones came in and ship them back to ECGS to satisfy the core charge. Easy Peazy and you're rig is only down for how long it takes you to swap out the diffs. ECGS has an excellent reputation in the industry. You won't find a better company than them.

If you're still not sold, check out the interview I did with the CEO, Chase Perry, and the tour he gave us of his facility which is like walking through a Costco. Their facility is 100,000 square feet and is stocked floor to ceiling with parts.

Send it to Zuk.

I just did this. 4.56 and Eatons. I sent the 3rds off to East Coast Gear Supply. There is still a decent amount of work on your end with all the wiring.

Dealing with ECGS was about as easy as it gets. They had them back to me in like 7-10 days. Would definitely recommend them and doing it that way.

I did a regear of my 91 several years ago (perhaps a decade?) when I was less experienced. It's fairly easy.

I posted pictures of my lash pattern on here. People helped guide me through it.

You'll want to build or borrow a third member clamp/holder (shamlessly stolen image
1704216248740.png
)
if you do it yourself. They are a concentraded chunk of iron and difficult to work on without the holder.
Other than that, its not that bad a job if you can follow instructions and have the tools already.

The single most expensive tool I had to purchase was a seekonk 80oz. in" beam type torque wrench for checking preloads.
Now that Fix-it-sticks has pre-set torque limiters, you can do the preload with a set of these at the high-low limits and you'd be money ahead. Small Torque Limiters | Fix It Sticks - https://store.fixitsticks.com/products/small-torque-limiters?variant=19343420981305

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom