Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cole... glad to hear about the insurance coverage! Thanks for sharing all the details, cost, process, etc...

Speaking of which... this snorkel from Dobinsons looks really good. Any reason why this wouldn't fit my '13?

Amazon:
Dobinsons 4x4 Snorkel Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series 2008-2015

(For some reason I couldn't include the link but it's under that listing title on Amazon USA)

Cole... glad to hear about the insurance coverage! Thanks for sharing all the details, cost, process, etc...

Speaking of which... this snorkel from Dobinsons looks really good. Any reason why this wouldn't fit my '13?

Amazon:
Dobinsons 4x4 Snorkel Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series 2008-2015

(For some reason I couldn't include the link but it's under that listing title on Amazon USA)

Thanks! I don’t know much about the Dobinson’s snorkel but am inclined to try the recently-released 5.7 Safari snorkel from ARB.

Wasn't Kurt saying the new snorkel properly fits the airbox now too?

I'm not one for snorkels--yet.

Sorry to hear about the engine Cole, but happy to hear your insurance is going to cover it!

this snorkel from Dobinsons looks really good. Any reason why this wouldn't fit my '13?

I have it. It fits my 2013. Mostly. Pros and Cons below...

Pros:
  1. Half the cost of the ARB
  2. Says "Land Cruiser" on the side (which IMO is cooler) instead of "Safari"
  3. Two years later and so far it's held up well
Cons:
  1. Like the original ARB the airbox tube is shaped differently for the diesel than the petrol V8. The Dobinson's kit comes with the extra long hose clamp required (a pro). I did a lot of swearing but I did manage to get it on and it's fine been fine for 2 years. AFAIK all the snorkel kits have this issue but maybe the newest ARB is different?
  2. Once you rivet the L bracket to the A pillar, the rivet heads stick up and prevent the snorkel from fitting tightly against the A pillar. Maybe you could use flat head rivets instead? Because I had already riveted mine I opted to dremel the holes on the bracket so that the bolts would actually line up with the nuts which are embedded in the snorkel. Maybe @crikeymike will chime in and Dobinson's has fixed that? BTW I put a bit of silicone around the rivet holes before attaching the L bracket in order to 100% prevent water intrusion... I'd definitely recommend some silicone or RTV since I imagine any water being driven into the A-pillar airbag area could be bad.
  3. The two bolts used to secure the snorkel to the L bracket on the A pillar weren't even zinc coated, I think, as they started to rust within a week. I bought replacement stainless steel bolts from Home Despot for a couple bucks. Hopefully Dobinson's now includes these.
  4. The snorkel doesn't quite fit flush where the front quarter panel and A pillar meet, so there's a small gap (see below). I haven't noticed any excessive wind noise because of it, so that's a plus, but the Dobinson's kit also didn't come with a snorkel-to-body gasket like the ARB does either. So between the gap and the A pillar fitment issue in #2 which pushes the snorkel tube slightly away from the body I find that leaves sometimes end up between the snorkel and the quarter panel, which results in a bunch of smegma falling out every time I go to the self-service car wash.
Overall it was about half the cost of the ARB and mechanically it works just as well so for the money I'm happy with it.

I have it. It fits my 2013. Mostly. Pros and Cons below...

Pros:
  1. Half the cost of the ARB
  2. Says "Land Cruiser" on the side (which IMO is cooler) instead of "Safari"
  3. Two years later and so far it's held up well
Cons:
  1. Like the original ARB the airbox tube is shaped differently for the diesel than the petrol V8. The Dobinson's kit comes with the extra long hose clamp required (a pro). I did a lot of swearing but I did manage to get it on and it's fine been fine for 2 years. AFAIK all the snorkel kits have this issue but maybe the newest ARB is different?
  2. Once you rivet the L bracket to the A pillar, the rivet heads stick up and prevent the snorkel from fitting tightly against the A pillar. Maybe you could use flat head rivets instead? Because I had already riveted mine I opted to dremel the holes on the bracket so that the bolts would actually line up with the nuts which are embedded in the snorkel. Maybe @crikeymike will chime in and Dobinson's has fixed that? BTW I put a bit of silicone around the rivet holes before attaching the L bracket in order to 100% prevent water intrusion... I'd definitely recommend some silicone or RTV since I imagine any water being driven into the A-pillar airbag area could be bad.
  3. The two bolts used to secure the snorkel to the L bracket on the A pillar weren't even zinc coated, I think, as they started to rust within a week. I bought replacement stainless steel bolts from Home Despot for a couple bucks. Hopefully Dobinson's now includes these.
  4. The snorkel doesn't quite fit flush where the front quarter panel and A pillar meet, so there's a small gap (see below). I haven't noticed any excessive wind noise because of it, so that's a plus, but the Dobinson's kit also didn't come with a snorkel-to-body gasket like the ARB does either. So between the gap and the A pillar fitment issue in #2 which pushes the snorkel tube slightly away from the body I find that leaves sometimes end up between the snorkel and the quarter panel, which results in a bunch of smegma falling out every time I go to the self-service car wash.
Overall it was about half the cost of the ARB and mechanically it works just as well so for the money I'm happy with it.

Wow Linux... Thanks so much for the info. You were so thorough I think that really answers my questions. I'm thinking as long as they have adjusted it so that it fits flush to the body panels that I can live with the other issues since it's half the price of the others.
Thanks so much!
(Sorry @indycole for the hijack)

Wow! I hadn't been on the forum for a couple of weeks and didn't see this, Cole. So sorry to hear about your engine. Your attitude has been awesome. And I am so glad that your insurance company is working with you. That has got to take some of the sting out of the accident. Here's hoping you will be back on the trails soon. See you at LCDC?

I’m still working through the details with Bighorn, but I did learn today that the oil leak was the result of a hole in the bottom of the crankcase caused by the extra pressure generated while the engine contained water.

So, yeah, completely blown engine. I asked about keeping the engine (thought @orangefj45 may want it?) and it apparently has to go back to Mr. T in this situation.

I’m still working through the details with Bighorn, but I did learn today that the oil leak was the result of a hole in the bottom of the crankcase caused by the extra pressure generated while the engine contained water.

So, yeah, completely blown engine. I asked about keeping the engine (thought @orangefj45 may want it?) and it apparently has to go back to Mr. T in this situation.
I’d say Mr. T can have it after giving a little love getting the motor replaced.

The replacement motor is en route to Bighorn and installation should commence tomorrow or Thursday. They're expecting the truck to be done by the end of next week, but I'm not booking a plane ticket until they've taken it for its first test drive. So far so good all around.

On a different topic, I'll be updating my ongoing classified thread with some gear that's not seeing much action or has been / will be replaced by new stuff I'm trying out. Here's a preview... just shoot me a PM if you're interested in anything.

Yaesu FT-8800 — I replaced this with an Icom 5100 but actually miss the simplicity of this unit. This is a great 2m/70cm radio. It's in good condition though I'll note that the power wires are notably short.

Eezi-Awn Black Hard-Case Series 2000 2.5 Awning — This is a great awning but I haven't been using it as an attempt to reduce roof loads. There are some mounting brackets included. The awning is in good shape though the case could use cleaned/waxed.

Frontrunner 10.6 gallon Footwell Water Tank — No longer using this as the custom water tank has arrived.

Ronco Plastics 14 gallon RV3W Water Tank — Utilitarian tank. IMO, this needs new inlets/outlets/vents to be installed as Ronco put them in places that only allow 8-10 out of 14 gallons to be usable.

The replacement motor is en route to Bighorn and installation should commence tomorrow or Thursday. They're expecting the truck to be done by the end of next week, but I'm not booking a plane ticket until they've taken it for its first test drive. So far so good all around.

Wow that was fast! Let me know if you want some help coordinating picking up the truck. My office is right by DEN, and depending on the weekend I could likely give you a ride to Glenwood. I haven't taken the Telsa on a road trip yet, so this could be a good opportunity to try it out!

I received a the good news this morning that the truck has received its transplant engine and is showing no signs of rejection. There's still some testing and paperwork stuff to sort out but it looks like I may be able to pick it up this weekend or next.
If you need any help @indycole let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom