In need of a rebuilt distributor for my 1985 FJ60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows of another source other than cruiserparts.net who offers OEM rebuilt distributor for the 4.2 liter 6 cylinder engine? I've tried all my local parts distributors (Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc with no luck and none available). My current distributor has bad vacuum advances and has moisture damage and Cardone has declared it unrebuildable. Maybe one of you has one that you are willing to sell? The $450 dollar price tag from cruiserparts.net is a little more than I hoped to spend.
Thanks,
Al

I searched for awhile for one. Expect to pay more than you expected unless you find a friend in a local club or something. The vacuum advances are no longer available, and my experience is to work around the bad one bcs most wont be good or won’t last if they were good. Anyway now that I’ve dispensed with that, Sigfrid and sons are selling their house and have a bunch of stuff on sale. Call him and see if he’s got one. If you can’t find him by searching mud, look up his facebook. Also, put a wanted ad up like the previous poster suggested or just pm the people who are parting out their 60s but you have to be quick they usually go first. What about your local junk yard? We have a couple toyota specific yards, they might have something.

I have found them on ebay with working vac advance, in the $150 range. Just make them test BOTH diaphragms before you commit to buy. :cheers:. EDIT, just saw one on ebay for $299 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Jim C in Ohio rebuilds them www.TLCperformance.com if you find a good one, then tests them on a SUN distributor machine.

The CityRacer distributor will work with the 2F engine but is not smog legal for Kalifornia and will cause you to fail visual if the tech knows what they're looking at. It will also, then cause some of the other smog systems not to work.

Last edited:
Jim C in Ohio rebuilds them www.TLCperformance.com if you find a good one, then tests them on a SUN distributor machine.

The CityRacer distributor will work with the 2F engine but is not smog legal for Kalifornia and will cause you to fail visual if the tech knows what they're looking at. It will also, then cause some of the other smog systems not to work.
He doesn’t rebuild the vacuum adv and correct me if I’m wrong, he won’t recurve the diz if the vac adv is not functioning. I did a ton of research on rebuilding the vac adv diaphragms but being that they are dual and opposing to each other it’s pretty unheard of to find anyone who CAN rebuild them.

"if you find a good one..."

Details.

bad vacuum advances and has moisture damage and Cardone has declared it unrebuildable
There is a mud member who last I knew had a few handfuls of brand spanking new vacuum advances. If you ask here, maybe he’ll pm you a reasonable offer to buy one.

Seems like you could just replace the vac advance diaphragm....there are a ton of them out there to be bought new. Have to plot the vacuum vs travel of the stock one and then compare it to others available...imagine there is something out there close.

I of course say this blindly and potentially ignorantly of all the complexities that this may suggest :cheers:

Last edited:
Cannot be certain.....but it looks like the vacuum advance on the Toyota Corolla looks the same:

For Toyota Corolla 82 Standard Intermotor Ignition Distributor Vacuum Advance | eBay

Seems like you could just replace the vac advance diaphragm....there are a ton of them out there to be bought new. Have to plot the vacuum vs travel of the stock one and then compare it to others available...imagine there is something out there close.
I gutted one. They oppose each other which apparently is very rare. I spoke to a guy who rebuild vac adv in NJ for vehicles up to early 80’s but he can’t do ours. I sent my gutted one plus a bad one to the company in TX to try to figure out. The contact never let me know if he was able so I took it that he couldn’t.

From Rockauto:

Here’s a bit of candy. It’s my spare. But the member I mentioned last I knew had far more than one spare.... post length much longer than Corolla.

image.jpg

If the operation/travel is correct but its just a post length issue I'd think the post could be modified. Thinking about the future when maybe something like the corolla is the best option.

Interesting....ebay auction shows "302" stamped on it....wonder if there is any significance there or if just some generic stock number.

That Corolla one has part number 029450 - 4761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom