In Memory of Kevin, Tools R US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone have any information about the funeral? Time and place? I’m sure Mud Members near and far would want to pay their respects.
^^^ This.
as far as I know, a trail ride is planned to honor Kevin - location has not been determined yet, tentative date is November 30
There are no plans for a formal service. Family is spending time together and sharing stories. TRAL is planning a memorial run.

Hey everyone,we (TRAL, Tonto Recreation Alliance) are in the process of setting up a public memorial event along with some trail stuff. Right now we are looking at Saturday, 11/30/19. I will post up with details as soon as I have them.

@Tools R Us you will be sorely missed. My deepest condolences to his family.

RIP

My wife & I have had the pleasure on knowing and being around Kevin for the last 9 years. He was, as said, a veritable Cruiser genius.
But I'd like it not to be ignored that Kevin was a kind, gentle, compassionate man. He made everyone in TRAL welcome. He played a great part in making my wife feel comfortable on the "outings with the guys". She still participates and credits Kevin's attitude with her comfort. So whilst the Cruiser World has a great loss, the world in general - especially here in AZ - have lost a great man.
He is physically gone, but will live forever in our hearts and minds.

Like everyone, very sorry to hear the news and condolences to Tool’s family and friends. Never met but benefitted from his knowledge for a decade, he will be missed.

He always had damn good information. I never met him in person, but have gained much knowledge from his posts. And just when you thought he might have let you slide by not poking fun at you or making some remark about unnecessary items, there he was ribbing you. His humor was always great to see on here.

Man that sucks. He has helped me numerous times over many many years. Super nice guy as well. I swear I would be reading a thread, not know the answer, and think "maybe tools will comment" and sure enough he did. Bummer. RIP.

I appreciate all the help from @Tools R Us throughout the years. His passion for helping others and looking after our trails is commendable. Thank you, Kevin.

Our condolences to his loved ones.

RIP

On behalf of our family, I'd like to thank all of you for sharing, and for the thoughts and prayers. We've all been following this thread. Hearing what Kevin meant to so many has been a source of comfort, pride and a few tears for all of us during this difficult time.

Since Kevin's tech posts have been so helpful to so many, maybe we can convince @woody to create a library of his tech advise so some of us klutzes can benefit from his wisdom indefinitely. What do you guys think?

and even with the many posts Kevin accumulated here on MUD over the years, typing didn't come easy to him (he used to make fun of that himself):

his relationship to the keyboard was the 2-finger-search-and-hit method :hillbilly:, with the fingers of one hand at an odd angle due to a bad injury in his adolescence - never typing very fast to begin with (I happen use that same method myself)

while posting he was often interrupted by phone calls, PMs or e-mails, or people walking in, calling him to attend to some wrenching detail - so when you see just those two or three sentences in a post, in real life it might have taken him over an hour to compose that response - and he always did get back to it, no matter the distraction, that's how important it was to him

it was always fun to get his explanation what it was he was responding to right now, comments on the underlying technical problem, and even inspection of said condition in a truck in the shop or parked outside - that's how I came to accumulate a lot of "non-formation" (I called it that when I was just a 40s person and 80-forum details weren't really relevant to me back then yet)

Last edited:
and even with the many posts Kevin accumulated here on MUD over the years, typing didn't come easy to him (he used to make fun of that himself):

his relationship to the keyboard was by the 2-finger-search-and-hit method :hillbilly:, with the fingers of one hand at an odd angle due to a bad injury in his adolescence - never typing very fast to begin with

while posting he was often interrupted by phone calls, PMs or e-mails, or people walking in, calling him to attend to some wrenching detail - so when you see just those two or three sentences in a post, in real life it might have taken him over an hour to compose that response - that's how important it was to him

it was always fun to get his explanation what it was he was responding to right now, comments on the underlying technical problem, and even inspection of said condition in a truck in the shop or parked outside - that's how I came to accumulate a lot of "non-formation" (I called it that when I was just a 40s person and 80-forum details weren't really relevant to me back then yet)
Pretty sure poor typing runs in the family. Still don't know how Kevin managed to put out so much material.

"poor" is not the label I would use - my intention was to point out how much effort went into every post he made

Last edited:
On behalf of our family, I'd like to thank all of you for sharing, and for the thoughts and prayers. We've all been following this thread. Hearing what Kevin meant to so many has been a source of comfort, pride and a few tears for all of us during this difficult time.

Since Kevin's tech posts have been so helpful to so many, maybe we can convince @woody to create a library of his tech advise so some of us klutzes can benefit from his wisdom indefinitely. What do you guys think?
That would be a great thing to do and am all for it.

Thats sounds really cool!

Dang - I'm sorry to hear but thank you for sharing the unfortunate news, I hope his family is doing alright. I've only been on the forum a few years but deeply appreciated his posts and always hoped I'd see a message by him when trying to deal with a thorny issue. He didn't seem to care whether you were a newbie or expert and I grew to trust his advice. RIP Tools, thank you for all your contributions.

Dang - I'm sorry to hear but thank you for sharing the unfortunate news, I hope his family is doing alright. I've only been on the forum a few years but deeply appreciated his posts and always hoped I'd see a message by him when trying to deal with a thorny issue. He didn't seem to care whether you were a newbie or expert and I grew to trust his advice. RIP Tools, thank you for all your contributions.

Such sad news. We lost a Legend. Happy Trails @Tools R Us .

It has taken 5 days for me to open this thread. I knew I would need a roll of paper towels. Thank you all for your posts. I have lost my best friend, my wrench partner of nearly 8 years, my teacher, an amazing wheeler, a great spotter, a phenomenal mechanic, a passionate and creative OHV supporter. We went to the NOHVCC trail building program TWICE, just to make sure that the Forest Service would admit that WE know more about it than THEY do. And it WORKED!

Kevin would always put down his wrenches to answer the phone. He didn't want to miss the chance to help out another wheeler. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom