I'm sure this question has been beat to death, but ... want a winch bumper, winch, and rear bumper, but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ARB's look nice , but look really heavy, likewise their rear ones do too. I have a 96 LX450, and H8 weight... ha ... or too much added weight . So i was thinking about the Trail Gear rock defense with or without the stinger, cause its looks lighter with the less metal , etc. Your Thoughts ?

I also want a winch , hence the above bumper... and I know most will say Warn ... however I see the smittybilt ones that are 10K rated , waterproof, and wireless remote seems like a better deal ! Also your thoughts ?

Then the rear I'd just prefer a pipe... or the trail gear rear ... Your thoughts too ?

I know lots of folks put those heavier arb's etc. on... but we all know the "Brick" worthiness of our 80's on power.... so I'm thinking less weight=more power, etc.

I just want the added capability of a recovery winch but not too much added weight !

Thanks in Advance !

New cruiser pic 1.jpg

ok scratch the Failgear one ... a buddy told me they $uck ... and I guess I'm on to an arb winch or a TJM winch bumper... just want the winch bumper part , not the bars over the bumper, does arb make a barless front winch bumper ?

ok I guess I answered my own deal ... ARB winch bumper and a Warn VR series 10k winch ... still thinking on which rear one ?

Take a look at the Metal Tech front tube bumper, it’s offered with a small or large stinger. Mine has taken beating against rocks and trees for about five years with no issues.

My 4x4Labs rear with dual swing outs weighs about 170 pounds. It’s a nice looking bumper that offers decent protection and the best departure angle around. If you don’t want swingouts for a tire and cargo basket then just go and have a shop build a simple, custom tube bumper.

Look at that TJM T17 (or whatever number it is) it looks incredibly light and holds a winch.

Sounds like you want a different direction, but speaking in favor of the ARB, it's not as heavy as it looks. IIRC, someone compared the weight of the stock bumper vs the ARB and the difference was not that large, about 100 pounds net. The only time I really needed to rely on it, the upper hoop did it's job and kept things above the bumper from going CRUNCH! when it otherwise would've been a big mess.

I'd do Delta, Slee or the easy route of ARB for the front - all depends on $$ avail and protection wanted. The ARB offers a bit more deer resistance.... and Slee wasn't in stock when I wanted to do the front...

for rear.... Delta is really impressive if the budget will take it... Slee would be second unless you want the really minimal depart angle of the 4x 4 labs and are willing to live with the quirks of a 15 year old design.

E

Bump-It Offroad makes a nice tube bumper for cheap!

I also don't think there's anything wrong with the trailgear front bumper other than it sticks out a lot farther than necessary (to mount a 20,000lb winch?). A lot of folks running that bumper with no complaints. I would probably go that route if it weren't for the afore-mentioned sticky-outiness. Bad for approach angle and for squeezing into a tight garage.

Trail gear rear bumper is beyond fugly.

Take a look at the Metal Tech front tube bumper, it’s offered with a small or large stinger. Mine has taken beating against rocks and trees for about five years with no issues.

My 4x4Labs rear with dual swing outs weighs about 170 pounds. It’s a nice looking bumper that offers decent protection and the best departure angle around. If you don’t want swingouts for a tire and cargo basket then just go and have a shop build a simple, custom tube bumper.

Nope. No dice. They stopped making it and will not make anymore, unfortunately.

I'm running an ARB. They aren't too heavy. I was able to easily mount it myself (without a winch). IMO, it's not the beefiest or best bumper for approach angles or clearance, but I hit a large deer once going pretty slow, and that sucked!

Headlight and radiator protection are my first priority, if not, I'd choose the 4x4 Labs DIY kit.

I bought the NWTI kit and built it myself. They sell them complete as well and their customer service is 1st rate :clap:
I can't imagine having a more solid front bumper. I mounted the winch solenoid behind the grill.
IMG_8551.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the Trail Gear bumper. People that say they suck either just don't like the company in general, or they just prefer a plate style bumper over a tube one. Having had a Trail Gear bumper in the past I can tell you they are plenty strong and pretty light. If you like the style, go for it. There are definitely better bumpers out there in terms of strength, protection, aesthetics and if you really want one of those, just save your pennies and get the one you really want.

Personally, I would NEVER waste money on a Smittybuilt winch. I've seen and heard of too many issues with them and knowing the reputation of many other Smittybuilt products (as well as experiencing a few firsthand) I just wouldn't trust it. Sure, it may work for a while but I'd always be wonding whether or not it would keep working when I needed it. IMO, a winch is one of those items that it's worth paying a bit more for a quality piece that you can have total confidence in and never have to wonder if it's going to work when you need it. With equipment like a winch, I'm too poor to buy cheap parts. I know there are plenty of people that will disagree and I'm sure a number of people with Smittybuilt winches or other cheap ones will pipe up and say they've never had a problem. That's fine. I'm glad they are working for some people.....for now. Again, just my personal feeling and recommendation based on experience is that COMEUP and Warn are really the only two serious options for winches. I've had a few Warns, but currently I have a COMEUP which has been every bit as good as any of the Warns. In fact I'm on my third COMEUP winch (not because I've needed to replace but I've had them on 3 different trucks.)

This is what I did, primary to avoid added weight, but I also wanted a better approach angle than most have. Also had the added benefit of low cost. For the rear I did 4X4 labs, because I wanted high and tight.

Save weight where ya can and dump the heavy steel cable. Put in a synthetic line. It’s safer than steel, lighter than steel, and easier to wind up when your winch breaks. Not that I take my own advice, but it’s next on the list to do.

That’ll afford you a little more weight for the protection your 80 deserves.

I like my ARB front and Labs rear. They fit my needs, but I don’t think there’s a “bad” bumper available for the 80 (failgear May be the exception...)

I bought the NWTI kit and built it myself. They sell them complete as well and their customer service is 1st rate :clap:
I can't imagine having a more solid front bumper. I mounted the winch solenoid behind the grill. View attachment 2176172
I live one mile from Cory. Super cool and talented guy. Bumper looks good on your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom