Warn XD9000i with factory bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn’t create a build thread, since I didn’t do anything unique or innovative; just your standard OME lift, 315’s, 4.88 gears etc. But this was kind of different, so I thought I’d share.

I would have used an M8000, but I put a used Warm M6000 on my ‘85 Toyota pickup about 15 years ago. I’ve had to go through the control box and clean all the electrical connections a number of times, so I liked the idea of and integrated and sealed electronics. Plus, the extra capacity was a bonus.

It turns out it isn’t as straight forward to fit such a tall winch into the space.

The Harbor Freight generic winch plate was easy to fit. Two holes even lined up with the tow hook holes, so that made it easier. As soon as that was done I realized there were a few problems.

Both the vertical support that the transmission cooler bolts to and the cooler itself were in the way. It was easy to trim off the offending parts of the support, but I couldn’t move to cooler up without contacting the hood latch, so I moved the horn to the drivers side and the cooler to the passenger side.

Then I stuck all of the cosmetic junk back on with minimal modification and cut out a spot for the winch line and fairlead. It was more of a hastle than I expected, but it worked out okay. I can plug in the remote by reaching behind the grill and can disengage/engage the winch by reaching under the bumper and over the frame. Not ideal, but it works and I saved a ton of money and weight and I like the more subtle look

Last edited:
That's awesome! A zoom in pic of the cutout in the bumper would be good to see. I would be interested to see how you set that part up.

I didn’t create a build thread, since I didn’t do anything unique or innovative; just your standard OME lift, 315’s, 4.88 gears etc. But this was kind of different, so I thought I’d share.

I would have used an M8000, but I put a used Warm M6000 on my ‘85 Toyota pickup about 15 years ago. I’ve had to go through the control box and clean all the electrical connections a number of times, so I liked the idea of and integrated and sealed electronics. Plus, the extra capacity was a bonus.

It turns out it isn’t as straight forward to fit such a tall winch into the space.

The Harbor Freight generic winch plate was easy to fit. Two holes even lined up with the tow hook holes, so that made it easier. As soon as that was done I realized there were a few problems.
View attachment 1924027

Both the vertical support that the transmission cooler bolts to and the cooler itself were in the way. It was easy to trim off the offending parts of the support, but I couldn’t move to cooler up without contacting the hood latch, so I moved the horn to the drivers side and the cooler to the passenger side. View attachment 1924030
Then I stuck all of the cosmetic junk back on with minimal modification and cut out a spot for the winch line and fairlead. It was more of a hastle than I expected, but it worked out okay. I can plug in the remote by reaching behind the grill and can disengage/engage the winch by reaching under the bumper and over the frame. Not ideal, but it works and I saved a ton of money and weight and I like the more subtle look View attachment 1924031
Thanks for reposting. This helps a lot. The appearance when completed looks great. I did not see any duct tape - impressive. Thanks again for the tip on the generic mount. I’ve reached out to HF already.

Nice job getting the XD9000i to fit. You made it look easy. Nice write up. Would like to hear your impressions after using for a while now.

It works well for me. I like the hidden look, the light weight, and cost. I think I had about $50 into it. I painted the rear bumper and rock sliders in the factory gray to match and I think that all looks good.

There are two disadvantages. It is a little inconvenient to have to open the hood to plug in the winch and engage/disengage the clutch. The other disadvantage is the factory bumper is not the strongest. I haven’t bent the bumper, but I have bent the brackets that connect it to the frame twice. Finally I made new brackets out of plate steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom