How to remove OEM electric winch? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would anyone have any advice how to remove the OEM electric winch? I want to take mine out to replace the seals and so on. I can see the way to do it from Absolute Wits End rebuild pics, but I think it’s very heavy, right - so since I’m doing it alone, should I jack it up somewhere to support it, or do I need some extra jacking equipment, etc.

I feel like I read somewhere I need a transmission support add on to the jack but just checking if that’s the right tool or not.

Thanks!

You can do it with a regular floor jack and some wood blocks. Just support the winch plate/cradle with the jack while you remove the bolts that hold it to the frame, then slowly lower it to the ground. It is quite heavy and having a second person to help keep it steady certainly helps.

If you have the space, a hydraulic lift table is an amazingly helpful tool for jobs like this. I have an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight that has paid for itself many times over.

Thanks guys. I'll have to see if I can get a lift table - might not have space for it, but it does seem like a pretty cool tool.

Am I right that the winch would need support where the green line is, and then undo the red bolts? Or are the front facing bolts also supporting? (major thanks to Absolute Wits End, as that's the guide I'll be following to disassemble the rest of the winch)

1710125091545.png

You should be able to remove the bolts circled in red as well as the front bolts that hold on the front crossmember and fairlead. Removing those will lighten the winch and make it easier to handle. Then the winch will just be held in by the four bolts on the bottom of the winch cradle that is bolted to the underside of the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom