I'm screwed? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you find a minute tell me if you know how to interpret what the color is or this one. Thanks.
309 color red?

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 4.12.59 PM.png

Also, once you get the screws out, I'd verify that the thread pitch is correct on them. IIRC, it should be 8 x 1.25mm. You may want to clean out the screw holes with a tap and blow out chips with compressed air. Then add a dab of anti-seize on the threads as the metals are dissimilar.

Definitely verify that the existing screws are correct and in fact metric.The ones in the pic are not original.Someone may have very well rammed them in and cross threaded the tapped hole:meh:

I have had very good luck getting the proper screw driver bit, hammering it into the screw and then putting a ratchet on the bit with the right socket on it. Hasn't failed me yet.

Definitely verify that the existing screws are correct and in fact metric.The ones in the pic are not original.Someone may have very well rammed them in and cross threaded the tapped hole:meh:
That’s important to know. Surprised you see them to not be original. Clearly possible. Would stock have likely been painted the body color?

33816780-0AED-4E1A-B500-990B6135DD86.jpeg

The screws in your pic appear to be pan head.The attached shows jis oval head.The underside of the oval head fits the countersunk hole in the hinge.The flat underside of the pan head will not :meh:

Everything you need to know about JIS

View attachment 2065535

The screws in your pic appear to be pan head.The attached shows jis oval head.The underside of the oval head fits the countersunk hole in the hinge.The flat underside of the pan head will not :meh:
You are correct. The ones on the car appear to be flat I’m going to take a closer look when I’m back to the vehicle

Looks like you could get vice grips on the sides of the heads , give you lots of leverage but could snap them off ... then its drill and tap

The hinges on 9/78-newer FJ40s are not countersunk, and matching panhead JIS screws that are used from that point on are stainless (Finally!)
The pictured hinges and screws go together. When the pan screws are used on countersunk hinges, the edge of the countersink is visible.

I had to remove some stubborn screws and tried lots of lube and time but still couldn’t get them out. Ended up heating with torch without effecting paint and was able to get them out.

I had to remove some stubborn screws and tried lots of lube and time but still couldn’t get them out. Ended up heating with torch without effecting paint and was able to get them out.
Thanks. Thought about that and don't rule it out but concerned about the heat just expanding the tightness. Might be better to heat the zerks but hard to reach. There are a lot of good suggestions that have been offered. I'll start with getting the proper Japanese Philips head and ratchet or impact to see if that does it. Its a week or more before I can get back to the project. Gives me time to get my tools in order.

The hinges on 9/78-newer FJ40s are not countersunk, and matching panhead JIS screws that are used from that point on are stainless (Finally!)
The pictured hinges and screws go together. When the pan screws are used on countersunk hinges, the edge of the countersink is visible.
You are both correct. I just compared both of my 78's and one is countersunk into the a recessed on the hinge and the hinge is different with the surface flat on this red one. Interesting to learn about this.

Thanks. Thought about that and don't rule it out but concerned about the heat just expanding the tightness. Might be better to heat the zerks but hard to reach. There are a lot of good suggestions that have been offered. I'll start with getting the proper Japanese Philips head and ratchet or impact to see if that does it. Its a week or more before I can get back to the project. Gives me time to get my tools in order.
Sorry. Sent that reply to the wrong comment.

You may have seen this comment, I'm stumbling a bit on the thread...You are both correct. I just compared both of my 78's and one is countersunk into the a recessed on the hinge and the hinge is different with the surface flat on this red one. Interesting to learn about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom