Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ended up finding a deal on a Torqit exhaust and installed it this weekend. Shipping from Australia was fast and easy, straight from Torqit.

I would have liked an exhaust that routed through the frame but those were all 4xx stainless. This exhaust is 304 and a work of art, really great construction.

umtlpoB.jpg

Sa95zE8.jpg

Removing the old exhaust was fine, just tedious getting to some of the more obscure bolts. Ratcheting wrenches and flex joints made it much easier. Soaked everything in liquid wrench for an hour or so and everything came right off.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear section that routes over the frame/axle so I just chopped it in half.

jDLtA9w.jpg

Stock was pretty squashed in some areas

LZcuTd1.jpg

9b5UMVa.jpg

sBw6fdx.jpg

3V7oPyk.jpg

b03H6a9.jpg

9YJat5c.jpg

Yiev1vB.jpg

Very happy with it so far. I went with the louder option, straight through with just a small resonator. It sounds awesome but I will be careful when driving around my neighborhood at night, it's loud. haha. I'll make a video soon

Looks great! I looked it up, and it looks like it runs around $1200 U.S. Dollars. I didn't see one on their site that's routed through the frame. Was that one available somewhere else? Also wondering why you didn't choose that one. Look forward to see (or rather hearing) the video.

Last edited:
That's the factory installed, high performance exhaust option :lol:

They are all squashed in that section
No way?? I'd like to see the standard version if that's true

Looks great! I looked it up, and it looks like it runs around $1200 U.S. Dollars. I didn't see one on their site that's routed through the frame. Was that one available somewhere else? Also wondering why you didn't choose that one. Look forward to see (or rather hearing) the video.
Yes, you're right, they only have one option routed like stock. I looked at a bunch of different options - the only exhausts that routed through the frame were Manta, Redback and one other I can't remember now. They looked great but they were all 400 series stainless, which I don't think would hold up well to US winter weather.

I wanted to go with 304 stainless for the winters here, so that limited me to PPD, Beaudesert and Torqit. PPD seems to be made in China, but Beaudesert and Torqit are both made in Australia and really well made from what I can tell.

Looks good, definitely considering this for mine.

Yes, you're right, they only have one option routed like stock. I looked at a bunch of different options - the only exhausts that routed through the frame were Manta, Redback and one other I can't remember now. They looked great but they were all 400 series stainless, which I don't think would hold up well to US winter weather.

I wanted to go with 304 stainless for the winters here, so that limited me to PPD, Beaudesert and Torqit. PPD seems to be made in China, but Beaudesert and Torqit are both made in Australia and really well made from what I can tell.

It was a facetious comment ;)

I've built a couple of exhausts for my diesel cruisers, it surprised me to discover how flattened the stock exhaust is at the rear cross member.

That system looks really sharp.

I personally prefer to run it inside the frame, you can eliminate all the sharp bends and really straighten out the exhaust pathway a lot.
I think what you have is still gonna give a good upgrade.

It was a facetious comment ;)

I've built a couple of exhausts for my diesel cruisers, it surprised me to discover how flattened the stock exhaust is at the rear cross member.

That system looks really sharp.

I personally prefer to run it inside the frame, you can eliminate all the sharp bends and really straighten out the exhaust pathway a lot.
I think what you have is still gonna give a good upgrade.
Haha yeah I figured. Agreed on running it inside the frame, wish I could have found a 304 system that did that. Down the road I'll look into a custom setup but yeah for now it's a great updrade.

So i've got basically no knowledge of running exhaust on the diesel models. (or gas for that matter) What is involved in running one inside the frame?

I ended up finding a deal on a Torqit exhaust and installed it this weekend. Shipping from Australia was fast and easy, straight from Torqit.

I would have liked an exhaust that routed through the frame but those were all 4xx stainless. This exhaust is 304 and a work of art, really great construction.

umtlpoB.jpg

Sa95zE8.jpg

Removing the old exhaust was fine, just tedious getting to some of the more obscure bolts. Ratcheting wrenches and flex joints made it much easier. Soaked everything in liquid wrench for an hour or so and everything came right off.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear section that routes over the frame/axle so I just chopped it in half.

jDLtA9w.jpg

LZcuTd1.jpg

9b5UMVa.jpg

sBw6fdx.jpg

3V7oPyk.jpg

b03H6a9.jpg

9YJat5c.jpg

Yiev1vB.jpg

Very happy with it so far. I went with the louder option, straight through with just a small resonator. It sounds awesome but I will be careful when driving around my neighborhood at night, it's loud. haha. I'll make a video soon

I can't lie there was a little part of me hoping for a hood stack.... *snail noises* tsu tsu tsu tsu tsu psshhhhh *coal trail*

So i've got basically no knowledge of running exhaust on the diesel models. (or gas for that matter) What is involved in running one inside the frame?

The stock exhaust crosses from engine, to the outer side of the frame rail, then loops back over to run on the inner side of the frame rail before passing up over the rear diff and out the back.
Its a fairly convoluted pathway, and has lots of tight bends which slows gas flow.

Running between the trans and the frame rail ("inside the frame") is a lot straighter path. Far fewer and shorter bends needed. Less restrictive gas flow, and better performance and efficiency.

Toyota changed to running inside the frame on later models for the same reasons.

IMG_20170430_124031.jpg

That respray full desert dune looks amazing! I suggest go for it. Tempting me to do mine too....

I can't lie there was a little part of me hoping for a hood stack.... *snail noises* tsu tsu tsu tsu tsu psshhhhh *coal trail*

haha how about my next build will be a Saudi style dune truck with a hood stack

That respray full desert dune looks amazing! I suggest go for it. Tempting me to do mine too....
Do it!!

umtlpoB.jpg

Sa95zE8.jpg

jDLtA9w.jpg

LZcuTd1.jpg

9b5UMVa.jpg

sBw6fdx.jpg

3V7oPyk.jpg

b03H6a9.jpg

9YJat5c.jpg

Yiev1vB.jpg

That's a beautiful piece of kit there!

Can't wait to hear it..

Small upgrade today. I bought Roadsafe recovery points from The 4WD Shed in AU. They were easy to work with and the shipping was fast.

cW3HTEF.jpg

The fronts bolted right up after a thread clean up with a M12x1.25 tap.

Before:

dS8VAtr.jpg

After:

tq3RF1N.jpg

49oNc54.jpg

For the rear, I don't have any immediate plans to buy a bumper, and as far as I can tell you shouldn't use the 4 holes on the rear bumper for a recovery point. Right?

I've seen a few guys running these recovery points on the rear: (photos taken from Australian FB groups)

d9WvE00.jpg

uVCxQUN.jpg

They claim they mounted right up so I bought an extra set. However, the stock bumper gets in the way -

H37Qd8d.jpg

zSWISYJ.jpg

The first hurdle as you can see is that the welded bumper mount makes it so I can't mount these flush with the frame rail. I could hammer that down a little and use a 1/4" spacer - it wouldn't need to be too big. Thoughts?

9r9ih1N.jpg

(That flat piece of metal directly behind the left hole.)

The second hurdle is that the holes are threaded on the LHS, but on the RHS, the holes are not threaded. I could potentially use some of these nuts on a stick provided with the Roadsafe kit, if I can get them in the frame.

ioJieb9.jpg

LQU1lRJ.jpg

lzqKxBg.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Easiest thing would probably be to sell this second set and just pick up a more standard type like a Trail Tailor recovery point.

Small upgrade today. I bought Roadsafe recovery points from The 4WD Shed in AU. They were easy to work with and the shipping was fast.

cW3HTEF.jpg

Before:

dS8VAtr.jpg

After:

tq3RF1N.jpg

49oNc54.jpg

For the rear, I don't have any immediate plans to buy a bumper, and as far as I can tell you shouldn't use the 4 holes on the rear bumper for a recovery point. Right?

I've seen a few guys running these recovery points on the rear: (photos taken from Australian FB groups)

d9WvE00.jpg

uVCxQUN.jpg

They claim they mounted right up so I bought an extra set. However, the stock bumper gets in the way -

H37Qd8d.jpg

zSWISYJ.jpg

The first hurdle as you can see is that the welded bumper mount makes it so I can't mount these flush with the frame rail. I could hammer that down a little and use a 1/4" spacer - it wouldn't need to be too big. Thoughts?

9r9ih1N.jpg

The second hurdle is that the holes are threaded on the LHS, but on the RHS, the holes are not threaded. I could potentially use some of these nuts on a stick provided with the Roadsafe kit, if I can get them in the frame.

ioJieb9.jpg

LQU1lRJ.jpg

lzqKxBg.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Easiest thing would probably be to sell this second set and just pick up a more standard type like a Trail Tailor recovery point.
Looking good. For the rear bumper recovery, can you find a piece of metal to be made into a spacer? Thickness would be for how low the recovery points you would want for them to hang down. That to me seems to be the easiest solution looking at the pictures. Also, you wouldnt happen to have a contact email with the person you worked with at Torqit would you? I emailed them and the person replied with…”we don’t have any exhaust systems compatible with your vehicle.” Thank you.

Looking good. For the rear bumper recovery, can you find a piece of metal to be made into a spacer? Thickness would be for how low the recovery points you would want for them to hang down. That to me seems to be the easiest solution looking at the pictures. Also, you wouldnt happen to have a contact email with the person you worked with at Torqit would you? I emailed them and the person replied with…”we don’t have any exhaust systems compatible with your vehicle.” Thank you.
I'll PM you

0B5e9u1.jpg

Got out to the desert the other day so I put together a short video of the exhaust. Just an iPhone so nothing too special:

UJVHYW2.jpg

Filled up before I headed out, got 18mpg on the last tank.

Also as most here probably already know, the JDM cruise control is limited to 70 mph. With 35s, I found that it tops out right around 75 now:

dMZ33tB.png

I originally thought I would look into modifying/removing that speed limit but the more I drive it, I think I'll just leave it at 75mph. The fastest roads around here are 80mph but I only drive on those once or twice a month. Most roads are 70mph so I'll just stick to the speed limit (and get better gas mileage anyway.)

I was able to get up to about 90 mph no problem though.. not something I want to do regularly in this truck though. ha.

dCB1YEQ.jpg

Qy3c7Y3.jpg

duiXwmo.jpg

cW3HTEF.jpg

Before:

dS8VAtr.jpg

After:

tq3RF1N.jpg

49oNc54.jpg

d9WvE00.jpg

uVCxQUN.jpg

H37Qd8d.jpg

zSWISYJ.jpg

9r9ih1N.jpg

ioJieb9.jpg

LQU1lRJ.jpg

lzqKxBg.jpg

Dude I have the exact same issue with rear recovery points.

I tried to use the Trail Tailor recovery set but had the same problem with the welded portion getting in the way and one of the holes not being threaded. I'm looking into rear bumper replacements but the OEM swingout is an issue for most of them.

cW3HTEF.jpg

Before:

dS8VAtr.jpg

After:

tq3RF1N.jpg

49oNc54.jpg

d9WvE00.jpg

uVCxQUN.jpg

H37Qd8d.jpg

zSWISYJ.jpg

9r9ih1N.jpg

ioJieb9.jpg

LQU1lRJ.jpg

lzqKxBg.jpg

Edit: @mods please delete this duplicate reply.

Last edited:
Dude I have the exact same issue with rear recovery points.

I tried to use the Trail Tailor recovery set but had the same problem with the welded portion getting in the way and one of the holes not being threaded. I'm looking into rear bumper replacements but the OEM swingout is an issue for most of them.

Interesting. Yeah I'm not in a rush to add a rear bumper. I wouldn't mind one, but I like the simplicity of the OEM carrier setup.

Here's what I'm thinking I'll try:
d4Sx3Yw.jpg

Mocking it up with some washers, I think that a 3/16" spacer will be the right size. On the other side (RHS) I'll use the nuts on a stick for the unthreaded holes.

po4bJuL.jpeg

It looks alright. Kind looks like it sticks out a bunch but realistically it only sticks out less than an inch:

wxO8wCq.jpg

Pz7hIlu.jpg

Thoughts? Cool? Stupid? Function over form?

How is everyone else doing their rear recovery points?

I think J @TRAIL TAILOR made some spacers to solve this exact issue, if I am not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom