Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I get another 100 I will import one from Japan. Pricing and condition are so much better.
So I haven't seriously looked into it, but I think there might be a loophole to get a slightly newer 100 into the US. As far as I know the 100 series (not 105) is exempt from the DOT/NHTSA 25 year rule since it's the same vehicle as a US 100:

And the EPA requires only 21 years for importing engines/cars with non US engines. Has to be stock/unmodified.

So in theory you could bring in a 2002 HDJ100 right now. Maybe? It could be a good way to get ahead of the 25 year price increases as vehicles become available to the US.

But then.. you have torsion bars. Ok so hear me out, import a 105 and a 100 at the same time and build the ultimate HDJ105. Or just bring in an FTE. IDK

Why would the 100 series be different from the 80 series in this regard?

Why would the 100 series be different from the 80 series in this regard?
Are you talking about importing?

80s were similar - it appears that there was an exemption for importing 1990-1996 land cruisers:

So again in theory you could have been exempt from the 25 year DOT rule, but still obeyed the EPA 21 year rule and brought in a 1996 HDJ80 legally in 2017. But that’s all in the past of course.

Are you talking about importing?

80s were similar - it appears that there was an exemption for importing 1990-1996 land cruisers:

So again in theory you could have been exempt from the 25 year DOT rule, but still obeyed the EPA 21 year rule and brought in a 1996 HDJ80 legally in 2017. But that’s all in the past of course.
I feel like there is a reason that I have never heard of anyone using this exemption. Every single imported cruiser I have seen is 25 years old. Maybe it doesn't apply to Diesels?

I feel like there is a reason that I have never heard of anyone using this exemption. Every single imported cruiser I have seen is 25 years old. Maybe it doesn't apply to Diesels?
I think it's just a niche within a niche. Not many people looking into it or doing it if at all. Plus it would only apply to vehicles sold in both US markets and international markets. So you could bring in an IFS 100 series but not a 105 series. @gilmorneau mentions it here in the importing forum:

I think there might be a loophole to get a slightly newer 100 into the US. As far as I know the 100 series (not 105) is exempt from the DOT/NHTSA 25 year rule since it's the same vehicle as a US 100:

And the EPA requires only 21 years for importing engines/cars with non US engines. Has to be stock/unmodified.

So in theory you could bring in a 2002 HDJ100 right now. Maybe?

But then.. you have torsion bars. Ok so hear me out, import a 105 and a 100 at the same time and build the ultimate HDJ105. Or just bring in an FTE. IDK

Hi @ikarus

The foreign-market 100-series isn't strictly speaking exempt from the DOT/NHTSA regulations regarding imports, and the models sold overseas may not be the same (in the eyes of the US DOT) as the ones sold here. The reason you can import a 2002 100-series Landcruiser (yes, it's possible) is that the US version is considered to be "substantially similar" to the foreign-market versions, and therefore it's possible to modify the foreign ones to be compliant with US FMVSS. What that would entail would depend on the car you're trying to import--for instance, does it have airbags? ABS? Side impact protection? It would need all that and more to be FMVSS compliant, because the US-spec cars had all that. In order to bring in a 21 year old car it would need to be imported and modified by a Registered Importer. That is, you can't do it yourself like you can a 25 year old car. The plus is that after 21, the EPA grants an exemption, so no worries about diesel vs petrol, or emissions requirements (so long as the vehicle hasn't been modified).

The 105 version is only now becoming legal to import since their first year of production was 1998 (25 years ago). Not many of the first year ones available yet, but every month that passes increases the potential pool of candidates. Re: importing a 105 and a 100 and swapping bits until you have the ultimate HDJ105 (and an HZJ100?), you could certainly do that (and it's only a matter of time before someone does), but you'd be in violation of the Clean Air Act and potentially subject to the wrath of the EPA. The EPA only grants the import exemption for vehicles with "original unmodified" engines and emissions equipment. Whether a guy would want to shoulder that risk would be up to him.

Nice truck, BTW. I might steal some ideas from that Active Vacation package for my 80.

Last edited:
Hi @ikarus

The foreign-market 100-series isn't strictly speaking exempt from the DOT/NHTSA regulations regarding imports, and the models sold overseas may not be the same (in the eyes of the US DOT) as the ones sold here. The reason you can import a 2002 100-series Landcruiser (yes, it's possible) is that the US version is considered to be "substantially similar" to the foreign-market versions, and therefore it's possible to modify the foreign ones to be compliant with US FMVSS. What that would entail would depend on the car you're trying to import--for instance, does it have airbags? ABS? Side impact protection? It would need all that and more to be FMVSS compliant, because the US-spec cars had all that. In order to bring in a 21 year old car it would need to be imported and modified by a Registered Importer. That is, you can't do it yourself like you can a 25 year old car. The plus is that after 21, the EPA grants an exemption, so no worries about diesel vs petrol, or emissions requirements (so long as the vehicle hasn't been modified).

The 105 version is only now becoming legal to import since their first year of production was 1998 (25 years ago). Not many of the first year ones available yet, but every month that passes increases the potential pool of candidates. Re: importing a 105 and a 100 and swapping bits until you have the ultimate HDJ105 (and an HZJ100?), you could certainly do that (and it's only a matter of time before someone does), but you'd be in violation of the Clean Air Act and potentially subject to the wrath of the EPA. The EPA only grants the import exemption for vehicles with "original unmodified" engines and emissions equipment. Whether a guy would want to shoulder that risk would be up to him.

Nice truck, BTW. I might steal some ideas from that Active Vacation package for my 80.
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it! Importing has so many ins and outs. HDJ105 would be awesome for sure. HZJ100 maybe not so much.

Last edited:
VL9sjrX.jpg

it's time for my annual dad joke about how my Honda actually does better in the snow than my Land Cruiser...

It cleaned up nicely. Looking into mats now - I have some JDM carpet mats but I'd like something a little more like a weathertech. I'm looking at Sandgrabba out of Australia right now

mF4ykHj.jpg

oBUvhZV.jpg

I was initially concerned about registration given some of my past experiences trying to make some of my BMW/track oriented builds street legal. Fortunately as it turns out, diesels up to 1997 in Utah are exempt from emissions - 10 minutes in and out of the DMV. Easiest registration ever.

n75u7R4.jpg

I usually don't worry about MPGs mainly cause it's too depressing to think about haha but this one interests me. Last tank I got about 300 miles til the light turned on (uncorrected for 35s) and according to my calculations 16 mpg. That's not bad at all for 25% freeway, 75% trips up and down the mountain (45mph, 4500' - 6000')

Z9Bh2HT.jpg

Slowly working on a master list of all the things I'd like to get working on. I need to open things up and see how dirty the EGR has made it.

ertcWK6.jpg

Flexed out in the driveway, trying to impress my neighbors

And finally, looking into wheels. I have this additional set which is very clean. The PO said he put them through a chemical bath to strip them down and remove the clear coat. I'm wondering if I could polish and clear coat them rather than powder coating or painting. Anyone else gone down that road? I also need to refinish the center caps.

AewRFoC.jpg

JsRK51G.jpg

Last edited:
VL9sjrX.jpg

it's time for my annual dad joke about how my Honda actually does better in the snow than my Land Cruiser...

It cleaned up nicely. Looking into mats now - I have some JDM carpet mats but I'd like something a little more like a weathertech. I'm looking at Sandgrabba out of Australia right now

mF4ykHj.jpg

oBUvhZV.jpg

I was initially concerned about registration given some of my past experiences trying to make some of my BMW/track oriented builds street legal. Fortunately as it turns out, diesels up to 1997 in Utah are exempt from emissions - 10 minutes in and out of the DMV. Easiest registration ever.

n75u7R4.jpg

I usually don't worry about MPGs mainly cause it's too depressing to think about haha but this one interests me. Last tank I got about 300 miles til the light turned on (uncorrected for 35s) and according to my calculations 16 mpg. That's not bad at all for 25% freeway, 75% trips up and down the mountain (45mph, 4500' - 6000')

Z9Bh2HT.jpg

Slowly working on a master list of all the things I'd like to get working on. I need to open things up and see how dirty the EGR has made it.

Also if my understanding is correct, I'll be deleting EGR and the crossover pipe when I add an intercooler - does that sound right?

ertcWK6.jpg

Flexed out in the driveway, trying to impress my neighbors

And finally, looking into wheels. I have this additional set which is very clean. The PO said he put them through a chemical bath to strip them down and remove the clear coat. I'm wondering if I could polish and clear coat them rather than powder coating or painting. Anyone else gone down that road? I also need to refinish the center caps.

AewRFoC.jpg

JsRK51G.jpg

Last I checked I couldn't find anyone to ship the sand grabba. Post up if you do

I need to open things up and see how dirty the EGR has made it.
Might not be as bad as you think if everything's working correctly. Mine has just under 100k miles on it and when I took it apart there was a very thin film of oil/soot, but nothing alarming at all.

Very nice rig. It's in phenomenal shape too. Great base for a build.

Out of all the states I've delt with DMVs in, Utah is by far the best, especially the Farmington DLD and DMV. I was just at the DLD in Farmington yesterday, in and out in 20 mins with my new license. If I was at a Boston DMV, I'd be there for 5 hours and leave with a stab wound.

Last I checked I couldn't find anyone to ship the sand grabba. Post up if you do
Will do - I've been looking at package forwarding services in AU too. I bet they'd be able to handle some mats
Might not be as bad as you think if everything's working correctly. Mine has just under 100k miles on it and when I took it apart there was a very thin film of oil/soot, but nothing alarming at all.
I like to hear that! I've just been reading horror stories of people with massive globs of oily soot. Everything is working fine right now.
Very nice rig. It's in phenomenal shape too. Great base for a build.

Out of all the states I've delt with DMVs in, Utah is by far the best, especially the Farmington DLD and DMV. I was just at the DLD in Farmington yesterday, in and out in 20 mins with my new license. If I was at a Boston DMV, I'd be there for 5 hours and leave with a stab wound.
Yeah I'm excited to get the build started. Are you back in the states for good then?

I needed to get the cruiser leveled out from L-R but wanted to try a simple fix before buying spring spacers. It was sitting at 1" higher on the passenger side.

L5NBS2W.jpg

Gotta love working on a rust free vehicle. No issues with any nuts or bolts yet.

TLeJyAx.jpg

The Dobinson's springs were installed correctly according to the tags on the springs. The longer spring had the "left" tag, on my passenger side (US driver side) and the shorter "right" was on my driver's side (US passenger side).

I swapped them with the longer going on my driver's side and it leveled out the front perfectly. Both sides are now sitting at 22.5" hub to fender.

I didn't touch the rear springs yet - the rear passenger side is now .5" higher than the driver's side. I may leave that as-is since the fuel tank is on that side.

Then took it for a Sunday drive. Averaging 16-20 mpg between 45 mph back roads, 65 mph canyon roads and some trails.

Aq3Ifr2.jpg

YJ5QNnJ.jpg

9z2ez1O.jpg

What Dobson springs?
I'm not sure, PO installed them. I should have looked for a model number but the tags were a little torn.

I would guess they're the 2.5" lift no load:

I love the stock looking rigs with no over the top outside mods. Looks more impressive and distinguished!

I'm not sure, PO installed them. I should have looked for a model number but the tags were a little torn.

I would guess they're the 2.5" lift no load:
Interesting that the Dobinson springs would allow for leveling. I ordered a full set plus shocks for mine. No lift however. I haven’t noticed any kind of lean to one side or the other. Is the “lean” something that is common?

I love the stock looking rigs with no over the top outside mods. Looks more impressive and distinguished!
Right, I want to build it but I also don't...

Interesting that the Dobinson springs would allow for leveling. I ordered a full set plus shocks for mine. No lift however. I haven’t noticed any kind of lean to one side or the other. Is the “lean” something that is common?
All I can figure is that since my cruiser is RHD and these springs are from Dobinsons USA, maybe they needed to flip sides?

Right, I want to build it but I also don't...

All I can figure is that since my cruiser is RHD and these springs are from Dobinsons USA, maybe they needed to flip sides?

Quite likely.

I want to replace my unkown springs with something that'll ride well and flex but not lift it anymore. That's why I asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom