Builds Ikarus' HDJ81 Offroad Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quite likely.

I want to replace my unkown springs with something that'll ride well and flex but not lift it anymore. That's why I asked.
Yeah I recommend them so far. I actually flexed it a little in my driveway the other day. ha

ertcWK6.jpg

gBlrbbz.jpg

F81hud1.jpg

They were doing well on the trails this weekend too. Other than that, @Box Rocket introduced me to Slinky a while ago, and I had a setup on my 100. Not sure where to buy them anymore though, that was 5 years ago. But I really liked the dual rate springs.

JfPEFaM.jpg

Right, I want to build it but I also don't...

All I can figure is that since my cruiser is RHD and these springs are from Dobinsons USA, maybe they needed to flip sides?
Mislabeled perhaps? I ordered mine from Dobinsons USA in FL.

Question for the exhaust gurus out there -

My ideal setup for my HDJ81 would be 304 stainless, routed inside the frame rails. I haven't found that exact setup yet though. I've spoken to a few companies in AU so far:

- I can get 3 different 409 systems shipped to the US: Manta, Redback and Legendex
Manta and Redback route inside the frame.

- 304 is proving to be more difficult. Beaudesert said they would not ship to the US and Torqit has not responded to 2 different emails and a FB chat.
Both are routed outside the frame (stock)

- 304: PPD is incredibly cheap. Looks like an Alibaba special. But it would ship to the US.
Routed outside the frame (stock)

End of the day, I'd like to order a complete system and rather not fab something locally. I'm leaning toward Manta or Redback to get the benefit of the inside the frame routing. However - has anyone run a 409 exhaust setup in a place with a real winter and salted roads? I'm wondering if I should hold out for 304 for longevity.

Last edited:
Question for the exhaust gurus out there -

My ideal setup for my HDJ81 would be 304 stainless, routed inside the frame rails. I haven't found that exact setup yet though. I've spoken to a few companies in AU so far:

- I can get 3 different 409 systems shipped to the US: Manta, Redback and Legendex
Manta and Redback route inside the frame.

- 304 is proving to be more difficult. Beaudesert said they would not ship to the US and Torqit has not responded to 2 different emails and a FB chat.
Both are routed outside the frame (stock)

- 304: PPD is incredibly cheap. Looks like an Alibaba special. But it would ship to the US.
Routed outside the frame (stock)

End of the day, I'd like to order a complete system and rather not fab something locally. I'm leaning toward Manta or Redback to get the benefit of the inside the frame routing. However - has anyone run a 409 exhaust setup in a place with a real winter and salted roads? I'm wondering if I should hold out for 304 for longevity.

Legendex claims the 304 gets to brittle with the diesel heat and that's why they won't build it.

Small projects this weekend. Removed the old steering wheel cover:
GdrKjeh.jpg

kHjULlq.jpg

Popped off the wheel:
eYol8Jy.jpg

I was talking to an upholsterer I know and he recommended trying to sand down the original steering wheel because it was so degraded and uneven. It's not perfect, but it worked out pretty well:

F4NkV7h.jpg

The cover I bought is a Loncky. I installed one in my 100 years ago. The color match for the brown is ok. It's lighter than stock.

Amazon product ASIN B00QLYA3XS
zR6MPhd.jpg

I wrestled it on, took a good amount of stretching, and added double sided tape all around.

AIqe7fc.jpg

Then got to work sewing. The Loncky kit comes with 5x as much thread as you'll need and a couple needles.

dvAKTfd.jpg

Loncky has videos on youtube that are ok, but I followed this method of sewing:

I would say it's not necessarily difficult but it is time consuming to make sure you get everything lined up right, stretch it together properly, make sure you're not pulling too hard etc. Once you get the technique down to start with a knot, figure out your pattern, and how to tie it off, it turns into a nice meditative exercise.

4-6 hours later:

pI4Kigs.jpg

JuCGpxf.jpg

I give the kit a 3.5 / 5 stars. It's nice enough, the material feels good and it generally goes on well but there were a few parts that just didn't have the right amount of material:

5HvBPIK.jpg

But having said that it's a huge upgrade over an old steering wheel cover. Feels great in your hands. If you just want to spend $60 and a half a day of your time, go for it. Next time I might try one of those Saudi eBay specials or have a shop do it since my steering wheel is a little lumpy underneath.

4KKSuNk.jpg

Wheel back on, no airbag accidents... (don't forget to disconnect the battery before doing any of this)

y26lOER.jpg

x3mfn3B.jpg

d3jdp0e.jpg

Last edited:
Also slowly working on cosmetic stuff. Removed what was left of the Active Vacation badging:

teCwN6T.jpg

QLt5c71.jpg

The plan now is to go to town with a 3M wheel. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

ppOliHm.jpg

These wheels are like magic - this is just after 20 sec of use on the "A." I think to fully remove all trace though it's going to take some paint correction.

diIZJdA.jpg

De-JDMing some stuff -

mZysLpO.jpg

yYzwIP7.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the gutter trim? Mine is in bad shape so I removed it for now. Refinish it/paint it? Buy new from Toyota? Leave it off and paint the gutter?

N2LpMG5.jpg

I was hoping it would be body color underneath but it's a little of body and a little black

PNHUqKi.jpg

I'll hang onto the old trim for now until I find out if I can get it new from Toyota. I see it's on Partsouq but I imagine shipping would be crazy for such an odd shaped part and I might be better off checking with my local dealer.

Gs4XupH.jpg

Removed the rest of the weatherguards. I was conflicted about these, I do like the JDM look but these were right at my eyeline when sitting inside. Also I was driving through 40+ mph winds the other day and I could hear the wind catching underneath and physically see the top of the door frame flexing.

GILdcR5.jpg

n0UyK5l.jpg

The old adhesive is really gonna take some work as well. And the guards messed up some of the window runs pretty good. But I need to replace those anyway. Just land cruiser money pit stuff ya know

M1hPecJ.jpg

FQj4vWR.jpg

Anyway that's about it for now. All the little cosmetic stuff is adding up in my mind - paint chips, old badging, paint correction, doors, gutter trim, marks from a spoiler on the top of the hatch, small surface rust bubble on the back hatch etc. etc. and it's got me thinking about potentially doing a respray. I love the desert dune pearl up top and I've always liked single color trucks in that shade...

I threw together a quick photoshop. I think I might have to do this

PjPk2Hx.jpg

The gutter trim is still available. Recommend going with your local dealer as you will get murdered on shipping otherwise. Mine fell off, I’m not replacing it. No use. It’s getting painted underneath and looks good without it. You may need to add more self leveling compound in the gutter depending on the condition of what remains.

Also slowly working on cosmetic stuff. Removed what was left of the Active Vacation badging:

teCwN6T.jpg

QLt5c71.jpg

The plan now is to go to town with a 3M wheel. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

ppOliHm.jpg

These wheels are like magic - this is just after 20 sec of use on the "A." I think to fully remove all trace though it's going to take some paint correction.

diIZJdA.jpg

De-JDMing some stuff -

mZysLpO.jpg

yYzwIP7.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the gutter trim? Mine is in bad shape so I removed it for now. Refinish it/paint it? Buy new from Toyota? Leave it off and paint the gutter?

N2LpMG5.jpg

I was hoping it would be body color underneath but it's a little of body and a little black

PNHUqKi.jpg

I'll hang onto the old trim for now until I find out if I can get it new from Toyota. I see it's on Partsouq but I imagine shipping would be crazy for such an odd shaped part and I might be better off checking with my local dealer.

Gs4XupH.jpg

Removed the rest of the weatherguards. I was conflicted about these, I do like the JDM look but these were right at my eyeline when sitting inside. Also I was driving through 40+ mph winds the other day and I could hear the wind catching underneath and physically see the top of the door frame flexing.

GILdcR5.jpg

n0UyK5l.jpg

The old adhesive is really gonna take some work as well. And the guards messed up some of the window runs pretty good. But I need to replace those anyway. Just land cruiser money pit stuff ya know

M1hPecJ.jpg

FQj4vWR.jpg

Anyway that's about it for now. All the little cosmetic stuff is adding up in my mind - paint chips, old badging, paint correction, doors, gutter trim, marks from a spoiler on the top of the hatch, small surface rust bubble on the back hatch etc. etc. and it's got me thinking about potentially doing a respray. I love the desert dune pearl up top and I've always liked single color trucks in that shade...

I threw together a quick photoshop. I think I might have to do this

PjPk2Hx.jpg
I have the window weather guards on my LC as well. I thought about removing them but I like the look and after seeing your example of after removal, I will leave well enough alone. No rush to get them off for me.

I have the window weather guards on my LC as well. I thought about removing them but I like the look and after seeing your example of after removal, I will leave well enough alone. No rush to get them off for me.
Yeah I wish they were in better shape and smaller. I do like this look:

HIC-T01.jpg

Yeah I wish they were in better shape and smaller. I do like this look:

HIC-T01.jpg
No kidding……
Driving today to get Krome anti rust put on, 30-40 mph winds on the highway and the drivers door weather guard is loose and flapping at the front base edge.
😩😩

No kidding……
Driving today to get Krome anti rust put on, 30-40 mph winds on the highway and the drivers door weather guard is loose and flapping at the front base edge.
😩😩
Ahh that sucks! What a coincidence. You might be able to stick some sort of adhesive in there if it's only the front?

Got tint today. I actually liked the fishbowl look but after some time in the spring sun I started to feel the heat coming in. I figure this will help the AC do a better job in the summer.

Az8gyVO.jpg

I had it done at Pro Tint Sandy, they were highly recommended and did an awesome job.

Sides and back: 35% all around, Xpel XR Plus
Windhsield: 80% Xpel XR BLue

pg8EpAN.jpg

QM1bVz5.jpg

lttquRL.jpg

Looks great so far!
I got a 1992 HDJ81 about a year ago as my first non-German car ever. I found it on Mud for cheap.
So far, so good.
Following along for ideas, etc.

:beer:

Looks great so far!
I got a 1992 HDJ81 about a year ago as my first non-German car ever. I found it on Mud for cheap.
So far, so good.
Following along for ideas, etc.

:beer:
NIce! I love German cars too - last one for me was an E36 M3.

I ended up finding a deal on a Torqit exhaust and installed it this weekend. Shipping from Australia was fast and easy, straight from Torqit.

I would have liked an exhaust that routed through the frame but those were all 4xx stainless. This exhaust is 304 and a work of art, really great construction.

umtlpoB.jpg

Sa95zE8.jpg

Removing the old exhaust was fine, just tedious getting to some of the more obscure bolts. Ratcheting wrenches and flex joints made it much easier. Soaked everything in liquid wrench for an hour or so and everything came right off.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the rear section that routes over the frame/axle so I just chopped it in half.

jDLtA9w.jpg

Stock was pretty squashed in some areas

LZcuTd1.jpg

9b5UMVa.jpg

sBw6fdx.jpg

3V7oPyk.jpg

b03H6a9.jpg

9YJat5c.jpg

Yiev1vB.jpg

Very happy with it so far. I went with the louder option, straight through with just a small resonator. It sounds awesome but I will be careful when driving around my neighborhood at night, it's loud. haha. I'll make a video soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom