If you had an 80 series... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you had a well running 80, would you sell it or transfer key components to a 40?

What are the components to transfer over?
Off the top of my head:
- Lockers/axles
- 1fzfe
- rims / wheels
- WRX seats
- radio
- a442 transmission?

I’m flirting with the idea of moving to a 40 series from an 80 series. I’m asking myself: do I sell the 80 buy the 40, or do I part out the 80 / donor it to the 40?

If you had a well running 80, would you sell it or transfer key components to a 40?

What are the components to transfer over?
Off the top of my head:
- Lockers/axles
- 1fzfe
- rims / wheels
- WRX seats
- radio
- a442 transmission?

I’m flirting with the idea of moving to a 40 series from an 80 series. I’m asking myself: do I sell the 80 buy the 40, or do I part out the 80 / donor it to the 40?

You'd be money and time ahead by selling the 80 and using the proceeds to build the 40 with 40-specific components.

The axles are wide for a 40, unless that is you want of course.

The A442 transmission is too long for the short wheelbase and drive train of the 40.

There are much easier and probably better engine swaps for a 40 than the 1FZ.

Ham radio, or a stereo? There is no single DIN, much less a double DIN stereo that will fit in the 40 radio opening.

The 80 wheels would fit no problem.

I would say, all the running gear would be an upgrade...depending on how you look at it and are willing to spend the time to convert all the gear over...

What purpose would u use the 40 series for?

Wheeling, commuting, driving to trailhead, salvating over, etc.

I’ve come to really enjoy the performance of the 80 (lockers) but have never really been into luxury bits on the 80 and am wanting to go for what I really wanted in the first place.

I would say, all the running gear would be an upgrade...depending on how you look at it and are willing to spend the time to convert all the gear over...

I’ll poke my head into the hardcore forum and ask about narrowing the axles and housings etc. it seems pretty straightforward maybe not worth the trouble though

Is it a FF rear disk brake 80 axle? That's worth the swap.

Front axle with small high pinion, not so much, unless the knuckles are mated to a Ruff Stuff, Front Range or FJ62 housing.

Lots of crap to cut off the axles and stuff to add back. Definitely not a weekend project. Narrowing is a lot of work for something you can add to a 40 axle, such as rear disk brakes.

I have an 80 FF in the rear of my 40, and am building a 80 front axle using a 62 housing.

Last edited:

I’ve come to really enjoy the performance of the 80 (lockers) but have never really been into luxury bits on the 80 and am wanting to go for what I really wanted in the first place.
Look I the Aqualu tubs that drop onto the 80 frame. For the price of 40 in today’s market- you’d be money ahead and have a brand new body. I know there’s been some builds on here that did just that.

Look I the Aqualu tubs that drop onto the 80 frame. For the price of 40 in today’s market- you’d be money ahead and have a brand new body. I know there’s been some builds on here that did just that.

If I could get a hardtop I’d be real interested

How are your fab skills? @A10Driver is finishing one up right now in the hardcore section. I’m not saying it would be easy, by any stretch. Just that it can be done. With some money a fabricator could do this for you.
So you have an 80 with mechanical goodies you like. You want something that has a more utilitarian feel. If you were to buy a shell of a project that had a good/decent body worthy of putting a new drivetrain in, expect to pay a good chunk of change. Now consider the time and money spent getting the coil suspension and drivetrain to fit. No small task. (I’m not sure it would, but I digress).
Now think about placing an order and two to three weeks later getting a brand new body that with some head scratching drops onto the 80 frame. You can then choose the color of your choice. For other considerations project x or @gwalt584 4 door. Personally, I’d like a 4 door 45 like this, but it’s not in Aqualu’s catalog...
It’s your choice in the end, but you asked for opinions.

How difficult of wheeling do you plan on doing?

How difficult of wheeling do you plan on doing?

Nothing crazy, no double black diamonds or anything like that. If I’m honest, 90% of its life will be spent on tarmac.

Nothing crazy, no double black diamonds or anything like that. If I’m honest, 90% of its life will be spent on tarmac.
Then I would go with a 2.5" ome lift and some 33s. Keep stock axles on the 40. Maybe see if u can find a v8 swapped 40. Will take some character of the 40 away but give more drivability and versatility. If your in ohio road salt in the winter will destroy a 40 quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom