I want my 80 to last forever, but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never getting rid of my rig :)

I've got way too much tied up into her and no way of possibly getting the value she's worth to me, so I'll just keep on driving :steer:

329,xxx miles on the original HG, runs like new and I still make routine 1200 mile trips back and forth from NYC to Orlando without thinking twice :cool:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNlfcVpogZg">YouTube Link</a>

I must say, not many modern vehicles appeal to me either :meh:

About the only one that does is a GX470 (LC Prado)

Not as a replacement for my 80, but I plan on replacing the wife's Camry and Sienna as soon as I find a good deal on one :cool:

She'd have to let me work it a bit though ;)

X2 on this. When my daughter is a little older, I'm thinking about a 470 to replace the minivan.

Oh, and I caught you digging in your nose a few times in the video.

Pat

consider getting a commuter car and driving the 80 on the weekends. I do this for school and it has worked out well. I travel about 120 miles 4 days a week for school. The rest of the time I drive the 80 around town. My gas bill has gone WAY down and I still enjoy driving the tank on the weekends. During the week she gets covered.

30k miles per year is a lot for any vehicle. "Invest" in a daily driver to keep your truck around longer.

However, it's a pita to maintain to vehicles. If I were to consolidate into one newer vehicle it would be a 5th gen 4runner Trail. Those things are pretty sweet. I think about doing that every weekday. Then the weekend comes around and I drive the 80 and get seduced all over again. The 80 has soul.

All I can say is stock up on parts needed for the next 20 years because prices are on its way up and the dealers are raising prices every year or so on parts....

I swap between these two...

B4FCD9E4-3C7E-4F4A-B802-28D980AA535B-6939-0000055D7CA441A7_zps1f84ebf9.jpg

A841988A-BD6F-413E-BDC5-95E0EED96B2B-8491-000006363C4096E8_zps93d3b0b3.jpg

Compared to the 80, my Honda doesn't have a gas bill... :D

Aaron, is that the stock suspension flexing? Sweeet! Gives me some hope for my '91 whenever I get it reliable enough. ;)

Why the glumb outlook on these trucks disappearing. Are they so different without a following than older Mustangs, Camaros, VWs or many of the older cars we manage to source parts for and keep running?

consider getting a commuter car and driving the 80 on the weekends.

/this\

I wouldn't mind a Prius C as a commuter - but we do not have the garage space

I would say the difference is all the electronics that the truck has. My biggest fear down the road is the wiring harness. Maintaining a few simple circuits in a FJ40 or old muscle car is pretty easy.

Typed poorly from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Like you mentioned Corbet--get another 80 as a parts department for those "hard to find parts" in the future.

Though a new wiring harness is available. :)

Fortunately my company pays for gas so that's not an issue. I'm just thinking about the longevity of the 80 and the fact that there isn't anything else I would willingly trade for.

If you HAD to replace your 80, what would you choose instead?

Fortunately my company pays for gas so that's not an issue. I'm just thinking about the longevity of the 80 and the fact that there isn't anything else I would willingly trade for.

If you HAD to replace your 80, what would you choose instead?

Quad cab Taco or 100 series, possible a 4runner.

What my plan for the future of my 80 is:

Back off the around town miles, buy a "more appropriate" DD, and use that for 75% of my road miles, keeping more of the wear off the 80's drive train.

Exactly what I've done, my Cruisers, including my current 80 series have always been parked for the winter, insured in the summer as weekend vehicles. I currently daily drive a Nissan Sentra, saves gas, it's cheap to insure, and best of all I won't care if some inattentive commuter smashes into it and writes it off - which can happen fairly easily if someone hits your 14 year old 80 series. I would find the loss of my 80 fairly devastating...:crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom