I may have done something bad....third member help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Last night I dove into replacing my rear axle seals on my 74' FJ40 since my drum brakes were contaminated. I had helped a buddy once, but it has been years since then. I have a lunch box locker and got confused once I opened it up. Anyway, I inadvertently unbolted the 4 carrier bolts .... How bad is this? Do I need to pull the third member and take it to a shop for calibration or do I just bolt it back in? Feeling dumb....

If you just broke them loose and that’s all you did I would re-torque them and call it good. If the adjusters came out of the threads you’ll need to reset the backlash.

Ya.....I pulled the bolts and the pieces they held in. Ugh! I think the backlash may not have been set up right anyway. When driving slow like pulling into a parking spot it would buck pretty bad. Not sure if this is typical behavior with backlash messed up? Maybe it is due pinion preload being off.

Last edited:
The bucking is your locker. That's normal behavior for a lunchbox type locker.

If the adjuster wheels moved or came out, I'm afraid that the backlash and pre-load will need to be reset.

Pinion preload is a different matter. But if it's all original, it's likely on the low side and you should have it looked at by someone who knows Toyota 3rd members.

Me, I'd pull the 3rd and take it to Kurt's guy near Salt Lake and have it set up right. Contact @cruiseroutfit and ask him who he uses and buy a diff rebuild kit from him while you're at it.

You shouldn't have to mess with the pinion, just get the backlash reset. You might be able to do it without pulling the 3rd, it depends if you can get to the spanner nuts or not with the caps on.

2x What everyone else said. It's not as easy in the rig as it is on the bench but it can be done. IMHO, you're this far into it, drop the D/L, slide the axles out and pull the third member.

Just my 2 cents.

The bucking is your locker. That's normal behavior for a lunchbox type locker.

If the adjuster wheels moved or came out, I'm afraid that the backlash and pre-load will need to be reset.

Pinion preload is a different matter. But if it's all original, it's likely on the low side and you should have it looked at by someone who knows Toyota 3rd members.

Me, I'd pull the 3rd and take it to Kurt's guy near Salt Lake and have it set up right. Contact @cruiseroutfit and ask him who he uses and buy a diff rebuild kit from him while you're at it.

Drew, I would take it to Kurt's guy, but I'm in southern Utah now 300 miles away. The bucking is annoying. So that's normal? Is it because there is a front locker? Haven't opened it up yet but I suspect there is one. Locking hubs and it gets super hard to steer.

I talked to Dixie 4 wheel drive and they seem confident they can set the backlash. Been in business forever here locally.

im in town by dixie 4x4 , and set up all of woodys diffs up . and im a toyota shop .
shop.jpg

The bucking is annoying. So that's normal? Is it because there is a front locker? Haven't opened it up yet but I suspect there is one. Locking hubs and it gets super hard to steer.

The lunch box locker always want to go straight. When you turn the outer wheel has to spin faster because of the way these lockers work, which means the cogs on the outer plate the axle slides into has to jump past the inner plate driven by the pinion. That causes the clunks and jerking. Front turn hard when in 4WD good chance there is one there also. Have them in my 68 and would never install one in the front again.

Ouch, yeah those are dead. Let us (Cruiser Outfitters) know if we can help with any parts, we have all of that stuff in stock from compete 3rds, install kits, loose gears, etc.

im in town by dixie 4x4 , and set up all of woodys diffs up . and im a toyota shop .View attachment 1618001
Oh hey Evan, I didn't even think of you! I'll bring the third by. Luckily gears look like they are in perfect condish. :)
Ouch, yeah those are dead. Let us (Cruiser Outfitters) know if we can help with any parts, we have all of that stuff in stock from compete 3rds, install kits, loose gears, etc.
Of course Kurt. Always.

IMG_20180123_210417_01.jpg
I got it out with difficulty and luck. :) Taking it to Pro Auto care for calibration.
IMG_20180123_210410_01.jpg

Hmmmmm. An ARB or Detroit locker would look real sexy in that third member.:)

Pro Auto care took good care of me. Thanks Evan! Back on track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom