I keep tellin' the wife I need a '40 project vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TrickyT

Hate that mud...
Threads
Neat read. I'd say this was written early on in the cruiser ownership for them.

My girl gets mad when she wakes up in the middle of the night and I'm reading about landcruisers. She also thinks I'm crazy when I try and chase down ones I see on the road... I'm not aloud to do that anymore

Someone needs to tell Samantha Shanley that a Landcruiser might be good for a little more than taking the family to get ice cream. Wow- - - wait until they get off road some time, she'll just poop her pants.

Wow, either the writer just got lucky with that Ebay 40, or she'll be doing a follow up article with the rest of the story :worms:

I just bribed mine with a horse...compared to a horse, my 40 is cheap thrills!

Mine bemoaned yet another motorized obsession. Complained constantly about my time spent in the garage. "Your always coming home smelling of grease, antifreeze or gas" she would say at night. She vehemently, resented all the money I spent on "Old rusty parts". Until finally one clear fall day, she ranted, "I have had enough of that damn Jeep (her words not mine), it's either me or that piece of crap"........Sometimes now, especially on a "clear fall day", while the dog and I are tooling through the mountains with the top off...I really miss her.....;)

Called her bluff, eh?

hmmm, nice article ... wait till the 40 really casts its spell and takes over his/her life ... lol ...

"...we needed something impractical to balance out all the rational, family-oriented decisions...."<That's Gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Divorce is expensive because it is worth it!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, nothing quite as fine as plodding along with the top off-I do that a LOT here in Arizona!

My wife and I have it figured out. We both have daily drivers (I have an LX470, she has a Mini Cooper S) and we both have project cars (my FJ40 and her Bug). After the budget is taken care of, the rest of the money is split between the two of us to spend however we would like. And on nice days, I'm spinning wrenches on the 40 while she is spinning wrenches on her Bug. It works out well!

Thanks for sharing that read. Great to hear about other folks' sharing project trucks / cars. I know it's been great for me to help my wife learn how to work on our 40 series. Gives her more confidence, and super fun for us both to be out in the garage working on it. AND, it's makes the budget conversation easier!

^^ that sounds perfect.

I unfortunately probably lost the coolest girl i could have ended up with because of the garage and projects. I know that i should have compromised a bit but what do you end up with when theres always someone keeping track of what youre doing and complaining?

Not like im at the bars pickin up anything that looks decent, i dont do crack or spend a ton of cash on booze. .... Im 30 feet away in the garage pretending to be able to weld.

I think the key to having a tolerant spouse is that she have a hobby of some kind of her own. I see friends who are married who hate their wives man! Id shoot myself before i got into something crazy like that. I dont care if she works on cars crafts interior decorating dogs (not cats though thats just creepy) or freaking anything that she finds relaxing or satisfying.

And thats why im still single lol.

D

^^ that sounds perfect.

I unfortunately probably lost the coolest girl i could have ended up with because of the garage and projects. I know that i should have compromised a bit but what do you end up with when theres always someone keeping track of what youre doing and complaining?

Not like im at the bars pickin up anything that looks decent, i dont do crack or spend a ton of cash on booze. .... Im 30 feet away in the garage pretending to be able to weld.

I think the key to having a tolerant spouse is that she have a hobby of some kind of her own. I see friends who are married who hate their wives man! Id shoot myself before i got into something crazy like that. I dont care if she works on cars crafts interior decorating dogs (not cats though thats just creepy) or freaking anything that she finds relaxing or satisfying.

And thats why im still single lol.

D

Completely agree. The happiest couples I know are the ones who don't spend every waking moment together, and those that don't expect the other to embrace whatever it is they are into, drop everything, and do what they want to do. They all have their own hobbies. There's overlaps that they have in common, but in general, they both spend time apart. My relationship included!

On the weekends I'm under the 40, or Mountain Biking, or camping. Fiance is out on her horse. Sometimes I'll get on a horse, and sometimes she'll come camping, but you wouldn't catch her dead turning a wrench. That's totally cool with me just as long as MY turning a wrench doesn't piss her off. I think I told her on our 3rd date, 6 years ago, that "I have a lot of hobbies and they take up a lot of my time, if you expect me to drop them and be at your beck and call, this isn't going to work out."

Guess it worked out!

Your marriage first have to be sound before you can start on this madness, not the other way around

:cheers:

Agreed! Buying a 'cruiser to save a marriage is like having a kid to save a marriage...bassackwards thinking and a bad idea overall.

So what does your wife say?

Mine has always been the one to insist that I buy the Cruiser, antique motorcycle basket case, etc. that I'm on the fence about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom