I finally have a 40 again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
Yeah, still not quite over losing a 1964 red FJ40 that was stolen, but I am hoping this 1972 Blue FJ40 will help ease the sting. :)

Picked this up from a club member: For Sale - 1971 FJ40 (original drivetrain/running gear) - https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/1971-fj40-original-drivetrain-running-gear.34183/

From the ad:
What I've done so far:
- I removed the gnarly wheel/tire set up the prior owner had on it (Bald 35" mud tires and 12.5 wide wheels) and put on a brand new set of 5 mud tires I had here at the house.
- I removed the non factory seats that appeared to be out of a 280zx and threw in some sport buckets from Jegs.
- Installed a reproduction rear view mirror.
- Swapped out the plugs/ wires.
- Swapped out the cheap fuel filter with an OEM unit.
- Installed a full soft top kit with full soft doors (zipper windows).
- Just because we all hate the diamond plate and I just had to know, I removed the drivers side to check for rust (there wasn't any) and then reinstalled it. I believe the prior owner did a TON of rust mitigation, possibly a re-tub.

What does it need:
- Turn signals are hit or miss
- Brake booster has a vacuum leak (hissing noise while the brake is not being depressed) but the brakes work fine.
- Transfer case output shaft seal is leaking onto the parking brake drum and the shoes are soaked. Parking brake will not function due to this.
- It does NOT like to start below 50 degrees for some reason (Carb?) but the choke cable is not installed to the throttle body. I have a video from 3 days ago when it was 55 degrees out and she fires RIGHT UP!
- The drivers fender met a rock wall with the prior owner so that should be addressed if it bothers you.

Zepp helpfully pointed out that "The valve cover is from a 2F. Looks like a Weber carb? Webers don't have a manually operated choke, they have an electric choke that opens as it warms up." Not sure if that explains the hard starting, but probably a good place to start! :)

I ordered new front turn signals as the ones included had the bulbs and wires missing and were in not great shape. Also ordered a new front bumper. It is kinda cool to order brand new factory parts for a 50+ year old truck!

Once I get the turn signals sorted out, I think priority one is to figure out the brake master hissing sound. Brakes work great (but pull to the right so prob need some adjustments) and there seems to be no correlation between the hiss and the brakes, other than the hiss usually goes away when brakes are applied.

Second is to lower the driver's seat!!! Seems to be higher than usual, plus the seats are tall, leaving me almost no room for my not insignificant legs, and I am left staring at the top of the windshield frame.

Taking the soft top off asap (I hate the Jeep style) and putting a bikini top on. Love to find a hard top. Hard doors are in decent shape.

Want to remove the diamond plate if it is clean underneath. It looks clean, but there isn't a lip on the bottom so not sure what they used to patch it. I will post pics when I get home after vacation.

The lift seems to be Rancho shocks and maybe Skyjacker leafs? A good 4 inch lift. Damn rough ride for sure, looking to replace it with something less bouncy. I have driven 40's before, this is just a little too much. :)

In no particular order, disc brakes, power steering, hard top, fix ride issues/lift, bigger tires if the lift stays. 4 speed! Although there is an H55F with FJ40 tcase on FB marketplace....

Comments, insults, etc all welcome! With just a little work I can make it to a 40's only run again!!

20230419_123908.jpg

20230419_123902.jpg

20230419_123817.jpg

20230419_123756.jpg

20230419_123723.jpg

20230419_123706.jpg

20230419_123615.jpg

20230419_123557.jpg

20221002_171003.jpg

20221002_170952.jpg

- The drivers fender met a rock wall with the prior owner so that should be addressed if it bothers you.
Want to remove the diamond plate if it is clean underneath.
I’d change the both fenders and rear quarters (all are so much cut).

Agreed. OK for now or if I decide to wheel it.
I’d change the both fenders and rear quarters (all are so much cut).

OK finally had some time to drive this beast and here is what I am planning to do...

The ride sucks, even for a 40. Very harsh. There is a local guy selling an Alcan 4" lift with Rancho shocks that sounds like a smoother ride...although I currently have Rancho shocks and I think the springs are Skyjacker. Any thoughts?

Darn seat is too high...my legs barely fit under the steering wheel. Aftermarket seats (Jegs?) are pretty comfy but I need more room. Bracket looks very strange. (yeah, one end is an inch above the floor...) Any ideas on a better seat bracket? (pics attached)

First off, need to work on the brake lights, turn signals, mirrors. All are currently missing, broken, or both. Then brakes. :) And get back to 35's...the 31's look a little silly...

PXL_20230731_164204859.jpg

PXL_20230731_164119964.jpg

PXL_20230803_191810916.jpg

PXL_20230803_191753717.jpg

PXL_20230803_165221734.jpg

poser shots from the rising sun meeting last night.

oh yeah another big thing to do before I wheel it, the e-brake is not working, oil soaked from leaking tcase seal. Guessing I should fix the leak before replacing the ebrake drum etc?

PXL_20230803_012140504.jpg

PXL_20230803_011809053.jpg

great cruiser. Im not a big rancho fan at all. I would at minimum go with bilstein. The obvious answer is dobinson IMS from all the fanboi on it, but that’s $250 a shock.

Do you know any specs on the Alcan? Those can be pretty custom so you might need to see the specs before you get shocks.

OK finally had some time to drive this beast and here is what I am planning to do...

The ride sucks, even for a 40. Very harsh. There is a local guy selling an Alcan 4" lift with Rancho shocks that sounds like a smoother ride...although I currently have Rancho shocks and I think the springs are Skyjacker. Any thoughts?

Darn seat is too high...my legs barely fit under the steering wheel. Aftermarket seats (Jegs?) are pretty comfy but I need more room. Bracket looks very strange. (yeah, one end is an inch above the floor...) Any ideas on a better seat bracket? (pics attached)

First off, need to work on the brake lights, turn signals, mirrors. All are currently missing, broken, or both. Then brakes. :) And get back to 35's...the 31's look a little silly...

View attachment 3391519

View attachment 3391520

View attachment 3391522

View attachment 3391523

View attachment 3391524
I just finished redoing the interior of my 72 and made new seat brackets the sit just to the height of the driver's side storage. the first pick shows mocking up seat frames. 2nd shows completed and amount of clearance between seat and steering wheel.

IMG_0233.JPEG

IMG_0384.JPEG

IMG_0386.jpeg

Last edited:
... the e-brake is not working, oil soaked from leaking tcase seal. Guessing I should fix the leak before replacing the ebrake drum etc?

Get a double-seal housing/conversion from @65swb45 .

Get a double-seal housing/conversion from @65swb45 .
I am just getting ready to replace my rear transfer case seal, what is this "double-seal housing/conversion"? and where would one find it?

I am just getting ready to replace my rear transfer case seal, what is this "double-seal housing/conversion"? and where would one find it?
The principle is to machine deeper into the housing so that there is enough room to insert a second seal, which will ride on a part of the drum that has not had any wear on it.

I have several of them in stock. Happy to discuss with you on Monday when I return to the shop.

www.marksoffroad.net

Just tried callin ya Mark, never gave me a chance to leave a message, rang and rang and then went to busy signal. Anyway, I need to replace the seal asap! Does your kit come with everything I need? Thanks!!

Just tried callin ya Mark, never gave me a chance to leave a message, rang and rang and then went to busy signal. Anyway, I need to replace the seal asap! Does your kit come with everything I need? Thanks!!
Per my signature line, I am away from the office until Monday. I turn my answering machine off now when I leave.
Hopefully you can wait.😊

Sorry, saw that right after I posted! Enjoy your time off! I'll call again when you get back.

I picked up a double seal kit, hope to get that swapped this weekend. Thanks Mudrak!

OK my main issue right now is the brake lights and turn signals. UGH.

So when I bought it, the front turn signals were not hooked up. I bought brand new ones and hooked everything up, pretty straight forward. Here is what happens....

No brake lights, tail lights, or rear turn signals. The right side worked before I hooked the new turn signals up. I checked fuses and bulbs and connections.

Left turn signal doesn't work unless you hold it down harder, but then the left marker light and the headlights slightly dim as the flasher clicks. Nothing at all happens with the right turn signal.

I have read all the wiring for tail lights and turn signals run through the turn signal switch, and the left turn signal doesn't do anything until I hold it down harder. Could the switch be my issue?

Or where the heck do I even start? I need brake lights!!! 40's Only Run is in 10 days :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom