How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mac 2019, Intel chip, used VB and image from post #1.

Cable:
Amazon product ASIN B097YC5LSR

My problems ended up with the following:
1. You need to make sure your cable can be seen by Windows. Make sure the USB device is mounted in VirtualBox settings: VirtualBox -> Devices -> USB -> Select your cable (mine had M-VCI or similar in the name - via USB-C adapter). Windows will beep you once it's found it.
2. Make sure that you selected the proper VMI in Techstream: Setup-> VIM Select -> XHorse MVCI.

I bought a mvci cable from amazon and was unable to make it work properly. I could connect to the truck and read data but could not write to the ecu. I was trying to program new TPMS ID's. I ended up ordering the VXDIAG NANO cable on amazon. It will not work with WinXP 32 bit. I found a newer version of tech stream online and installed it of an older laptop with Windows 10 64 bit. This worked just fine but I wouldn't do it on a computer you actually use some of the driver stuff seams a little suspect. I picked up an Autel TS508 for cheap off of market place scanned the Id's on the set of factory take off trd rims and was able to program with the VXDIAG NANO cable with tech stream version 17. This was on a 2022 tacoma.

I only have mac IOS 10.13.6 and I can't upgrade more, now this virtual box is saying it's needs 10.15 or higher. Can you help? Any ideas? Thank you.

Darn, I keep getting error that there is a kernel driver not installed issue. This used to work on my computer and then it wouldn't but if I uninstalled everything , and reinstalled, then I could get it to work. But now, after trying for the past year, I can never get it to work no matter what.

Mini-VCI J2534 connects to Windows, is recognized by the firmware update tool but will not connect to my 2010 FJ. Running on an M2 MacBook Air, Any insights would be appreciated.
thank you so much for this effort!

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 2.18.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 2.16.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 2.19.27 PM.png

I need help. I have followed the instruction, I have a mac, installed the Virtual thing, ordered a Mini VCI j2534.

I have everything opened up, I can see that the window sees it in the usb connector as X horse, it connects via VIM on the techstream, but then techstream just freezes. What gives?? I need to do my Break Actuator to bleed the breaks. I am stuck and unable to move the prius.

Please please help. I can also offer my phone number if you prefer for any more information or pictures.

Tried going through this for the first time in a long time, and when I click "connect to vehicle" in TechStream, it brings up a screen to update the product registration key.

Did something change? Or did we finally lose this gem?

Edit - never mind I’m blind

Last edited:
Mini-VCI J2534 connects to Windows, is recognized by the firmware update tool but will not connect to my 2010 FJ. Running on an M2 MacBook Air, Any insights would be appreciated.
thank you so much for this effort!

View attachment 3179183

View attachment 3179189

View attachment 3179190
Same setup as you, did you get this to work? I'm still stuck at "unable to connect to vim".
check the posts around #615

I had a similar error message. For me, the VB needed to recognize the usb cable before trying to connect to TIS. this error screen happened to me when entering into techstream too quickly before hearing the audible usb connected ding - lower right hand side flashing usb device - or checking the connection with the MVCI Firmware Update tool.. make sure the usb connection is good before starting TIS in VB

check the posts around #615

I had a similar error message. For me, the VB needed to recognize the usb cable before trying to connect to TIS. this error screen happened to me when entering into techstream too quickly before hearing the audible usb connected ding - lower right hand side flashing usb device - or checking the connection with the MVCI Firmware Update tool.. make sure the usb connection is good before starting TIS in VB

Thanks! I ended up using a Windows laptop instead of my MacBook Pro and it now works fine.

(On my Mac I can see the USB with the Firmware tool, etc. I hear the chime, see it in my taskbar. I just couldn't get it to connect.)

Happy new year everybody!! Hope you have a prosperous 2023.

I got TS up’n running on Windows with no problem at all… when communicating with the vehicle there is no option to select my ride (2002 TLC 1Hd FTE) so I went for the lx 470 specs on TS.
I was able to read the AHC ECU, but I can’t communicate with the engines ECU so no chance to clear T-belt sign off.
Any ideas on how to select the proper vehicle features on TS? I couldn’t find any to select 1HD FTE…
Thanks in advance and cheers from Argentina

ok I'm stumped. I have a cable that I used successfully with my 2000 LX470 in the past.

Now I have a 2003 Land Cruiser, and I'm getting this error once I'm all up and running:

kYSOJtO.jpg

can anyone help?

ok I'm stumped. I have a cable that I used successfully with my 2000 LX470 in the past.

Now I have a 2003 Land Cruiser, and I'm getting this error once I'm all up and running:

kYSOJtO.jpg

can anyone help?
Hi riffman12! Was your vehicle choice Land Cruiser on tech stream? Same happened to me and solved by choosing same year LX 470. All ECUS but engine conectes successfully. Couldn’t find any option to connect to the 1HD FTE engine ECU but surely you’ve got a V8 if in the USA so yo shouldn’t have troubles

Long time lurker, just added a 1-owner LS430 to the fleet and am considering a series 200 LC/LX or a GX460 to replace a Honda Odyssey. I just got this to work with the LS430 using the files. I had to do two other things:

1) update the C++ files (Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170)
2) go into computer BIOS and enable virtual machine

Worked great as soon as it fired up. Thank you to OP and others for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom