How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so here's my techstream success story.

I ordered this first:

and boy, no matter what I tried it would just not work. I tried multiple laptops, multiple USB cables, nothing. Funnily enough it worked perfectly in my ES300h but not in my 100 series nor in my 120 series prado.

Having given up all hope on making it work, I then ordered this:

And it worked out of the box. First try!

In case it helps out someone else, I have a 2004 JDM LC Cygnus and it worked when I selected the USA version of techstream and chose LX470 from the menu. It connected with no errors and I was able to get the AHC data :)

IMG_8142.jpeg

I got Techstream up and running with the help on this forum, thank you!!

Does anyone know if the cdl position is viewable in Techstream? I cannot find it

Every folder is super tiny, almost impossible to read. Anyone know how to make windows appear bigger in windows XP screen? I tried in the control panel display under DPI but it didn't work. Running off of Mac. Thanks

Every folder is super tiny, almost impossible to read. Anyone know how to make windows appear bigger in windows XP screen? I tried in the control panel display under DPI but it didn't work. Running off of Mac. Thanks
Check the settings for virtualbox for a retina mode or something similar. XP will try to render at the native resolution

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- These are out of stock everywhere, or priced crazyily, so I'm selling them to mud members for $39 via paypal/venmo. Ships free. PM if you want.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable

Thank you for this. Used it to program a new keyfob for 2013 Prius.

Cable and fob and key cut all from eBay.

Nope. I sent it back to Amazon. Now I’m shopping around for a v2.0.4. Hopefully that will fix it.
Such a pain in the ass.

has anyone tried this https://a.co/d/dyiCg8I (VXDIAG VCX Nano Diagnose and Programming Tool Compatible for Toyota and Lexus SAE J2534 WiFi Version)
and had success on their 100 series?

I have. Never worked for me.

@GTV

I retasked an old Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 that I had sitting in a “junk drawer” for a while. The screen was a bit too small, and you had to use a OTG USB adapter on the charging port to get a USB port. It was workable, but fiddly.

I soon upgraded to an eBayed Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 (less than $100), which has a larger screen, and built in USB ports, as my dedicated TechStream tablet. It works just fine, but I’m running TechStream directly on the device (not the VirtualBox VM that this thread is based around).

The tablet is great for a road trip, but as an “always in the car device”, a scangauge, or iCarsoft device, is much more convenient, due to not having to worry if it is charged.
What operating software are you using? XP? I’m going to buy one & try this too.

Nope. I sent it back to Amazon. Now I’m shopping around for a v2.0.4. Hopefully that will fix it.
Such a pain in the ass.

Should just be a mini-vci J2534 cable. I just ran into an issue with VB not recognizing any USB I plugged in to it. Uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted, anything I could think of but none of it was working. Did you verify that VB was recognizing your USB cable?

What eventually worked for me was removing the TechStream plugin from VB, then uninstalling VB by using the uninstall tool included in the .dmg that was used for the initial install, restart, reinstall VB, reinstall TechStream plugin, restart, launch everything and it worked.

ETA: Don't fool around with a bluetooth or WiFi dongle, just get a corded Mini VCI to USB and plug that in once everything is updated and restarted. Should work fine.

Last edited:
****2nd Update.. Read directions. It helps. All is well. I'll leave my stuff below in case the next guy tries to install the software from the Amazon seller rather than do whats listed in this thread.

**Update.. maybe I should read the directions on page 1 of this thread. I was utilizing the amazon sellers directions. Will check back....

SORRY!! I've gone through this thread, not sure why I'm being challenged by this software. Purchased the Mini VCI J2534 Cable through Amazon. Included for download was techstream software along w/ the vci driverx64. Regardless what I do, I can't get it to connect. The Mini VCI is connected to laptop, red light is on. It keeps asking me for "New Key" when logging into Techstream. Am I going about this wrong, I just want to adjust my AHC levels.

Last edited:
Based on my personal experience, you guys should not try and reinvent the wheel. Just use the full package from message # 1 in this thread and apply verbatim.

Step 1. Buy a cable. I bought mine directly from message # 1 author @getco.
Step 2. Download the two packages from message # 1.
Step 3. Install the container package to run virtual VM. The OS, drivers and keys are preloaded.

What operating software are you using? XP? I’m going to buy one & try this too.
I’ve run Windows 8 (32-bit) and Windows 10 (32-bit) on this platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

• uHu
Back
Top Bottom