How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- These are out of stock everywhere, or priced crazyily, so I'm selling them to mud members for $39 via paypal/venmo. Ships free. PM if you want.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Dear Getco,

May I please ask for some guidance

I have bought a VCI MINI J-2524 OBD11 cable which is said to support the Latest v13.00.022 ! and I have downloaded the Virtualbox format as so generously provided by you (Getco) How to Techstream in 5 minutes, on Jan 10 2018,

I downloaded onto my MacBook. I believe it is Techstream version 11.20.024 that I have downloaded with the virtual box.

However although the interface is hooking up properly and Techstream is operating - my 1998 LC100 4.2 Diesel VX AHC truck is not coming up in any of the menu or drop down lists, and there does not appear to be any recognition of any AHC parameters, and if I just select Landcruiser it only offers me the larger petrol engine model.

Have you any suggestions as to what may be wrong.

On one screen a few parameters appear but are shaded in yellow which means they cannot be worked on.

Unfortunately although I have downloaded all the suggested links, and I’m running a virtual Windows system I haven’t been able to connect the virtual windows system with my Wi-Fi internet. (I have not tried using a direct cable internet link up as I was using my MacBook out in the LC100)

This means I am not yet able to use internet while I’m on that scenario. Or for example I am not able to upgrade or update any of the software parameters.

Is it possible I may need to update the Techstream module?

DM’d … also cleared out the inbox 😂
Hi Getco

I am based in the UK

I think I am correct in saying that the problem I am having with the instant instal virtual setup is that I am not within a supported region.

Have you any suggestions as to how I can resolve my issues.
Your packaged solution all worked or connected up perfectly.
Thank you so much for such a thoroughly though out solution. For all Cruiser owners outside of Europe it is an absolutely brilliant concept and solution.

However ; despite being properly connected to OBD11 and my cable being properly recognised by the virtual platform I cannot find my specific vehicle, and I cannot find any AHC parameters at all.
I have however found some elements that do work especially after “health check” but I cannot find my 1998 LC100 4.2 VX diesel with the 1HD-FTE 4164cc engine, and in specific I have not yet been able to find any AHC parameters.

After studying your “TechStream in 5 minutes” the only solution that may explain my problems is possibly the issue with “Region”

I am definitely not computer literate so there may be other reasons

I was wondering if you had ever created a similar solution for Europe or European Region forum members?
Or have you any other suggestions as to how I could move forward in my quest to have TechStream added to my tool-box.

And once again despite it not getting all the way for me, may I say thank you for developing such a brilliant but simple or easy instal support package.

URTWOB.

With VirtualBox and Linux, I find I need to make the user a member of group "vboxusers" in order to allow the VM access to shares and USB devices:

$ sudo gpasswd -a your-username vboxusers

$ groups your-username

$ sudo adduser your-username vboxusers

REBOOT Ubuntu

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

- These are out of stock everywhere, or priced crazyily, so I'm selling them to mud members for $39 via paypal/venmo. Ships free. PM if you want.

- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Connect & Enjoy.

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
I feel like I may have missed something. After opening the VirtualBox and attempt to "Start", I get an error message:

1651076970720.png

so I bought my cable off of Amazon, and it came with v16, but it won't let me do anything because there is no key. so I'm going to try the links here and use the older version.

Amazon product ASIN B097YC5LSR

Connect & Enjoy.

-g

Hey getco, thanks so much for the information. Are you still selling the cables by any chance?

my 1998 LC100 4.2 Diesel VX AHC truck is not coming up in any of the menu or drop down lists, and there does not appear to be any recognition of any AHC parameters, and if I just select Landcruiser it only offers me the larger petrol engine model.

I had the same problem. Did you try to switch the region?
* Start Techstream
* Go to "Setup" (top menu)
* Techstream Configuration
* After selecting "Japan" I am able to find our Land Cruiser 100 with HDJ engine!

(Selecting Europe does not show cars at all!?)

That was exactly the issue… HUGE THANKS!!!
So now I get to chase down these codes, but I’ll add this to my build thread so as not to clog this thread up with non-Techstream stuff

B3ED6EF0-4AE4-409E-A061-5EEDCA4DEC18.jpeg

You guys need to go into your BIOS settings and turn on the option for virtual machines. Message me
@Bsherv87 thank you for the quick response. I was able to learn how to change BIOS settings thanks to the school of Youtube. Link attached for anyone else that may experience the same issue.

worked in like 10 minutes - hey, I just turned older, and I do things a bit slower.
Changing the bios in my old laptop running windows 10 was needed (previous entry above.) Then needed to look at some youtubes to see how to use the software - I just want to clear air out of the ABS system on my 1999 LC. Thanks getco for the post and keeping the links active!

I 100% agree @gil12 we are all deeply grateful to @getco and all the selfless contributors on this forum.
We are a privileged lot being in such a brilliant Forum

I sometimes get stuck on the Health Check selection in the Virtual window. By that I mean I can’t stroll or move the windowed box low enough to select that I want to perform that Health Check. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

I sometimes get stuck on the Health Check selection in the Virtual window. By that I mean I can’t stroll or move the windowed box low enough to select that I want to perform that Health Check. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Try change to a higher display resolution.

I recently had to get a new laptop (new MacBook Air) so I'm restarting this process :bang:

I'm not able to install Virtual Box from the link in the first thread (version 6.1.18) due to perceived security threats. So I found the newest version (6.1.34) and tried that but failed as well: Unsupported hardware architecture detected! The installer has detected an unsupported architecture. VirtualBox only runs on the amd64 architecture.

Where do I go from here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom