How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EDIT: Please make sure you list your vehicle model, model year, purchased cable firmware and Techstream version utilized.

Wondering if it is actually 1.4.x but reporting as 2.0.4?... I've seen some report elsewhere 1.4.x can do partial live on some vehicle ECUs but not engine

I have purchased several cables that work as expected from this vendor. You may need to reach out to them via CONTACT

1.jpeg

Last edited:
Have a 2001 LX. Just followed this method. Have the cable from amazon v1.4.8 I ordered this so I could check the ahc pressures since I just replaced my globes. Unfortunately, AHC isn't listed. There are a very few things listed, like SRS, Immobilizer, Cruiser Control, etc... Any help I could get with this I would appreciate.

Update...

I have a 2013 LX as the signature is saying.
I used the image provided in this thread running on VirtualBox hosted on Windows 10. Techstream version is 10.20.024.
The problems that I reported are with that setup (see How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-techstream-in-5-minutes.1034923/post-14326559).

Today before returning the cable I installed same version Techstream (10.20.024) directly on the host computer and it worked just fine. So I guess I'll keep the cable after all.

It is at least 20 years since I even looked at a windows computer, so how I actually got this far is a mystery, but I don't want to stuff it up at this stage so what do I do next?
I have installed the last version fo V.B. 5.?) that will run on a 32 bit machine, and I have downloaded and opened the MEGA file. I am now confronted with the Oracle VM Virtual Box Manager welcome screen.
It tells me that the left hand pane lists all the V.M.groups on my computer, but the list is empty because I haven't created any yet. It tells me how to create a new V.M. etc. etc.
Do I need to do that?
The left pane also shows a square icn with XP in it, and says TechStream 12.20.024 "powered off".
I am tempted to click on that, hoping it will open TechStream, but seeking confirmation before I try that. (Patience request, old guy in his 70s with almost zero knowledge of Windows, so well out of my depth ;) :) )

IMG_20220302_133914_Fotor.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody have a link to a working cable? I sent the OP a message but haven't heard back. Looking at purchasing a 2000 lx and will need to check a few things out..
thanks
Jason

I too am not a Windows guy - Linux user for over 10 years.
If the extension on the file is *.ova, all you need to do is "import the appliance".

BTW, I have Virtual Box 6.1.

Last edited:
I still can't get this to work with Big Sur on Mac. It fails to install every time. From what I've read I should see "allow oracle..." under security settings but it never shows up.

@getco - thanks so much for the downloads in this thread. This community is awesome, this is a great example of why. Repair shop (claiming to specialize in Toyota and Lexus) claimed to not know how to turn off automatic telescope and tilt and said I should take it to the dealership to see if it could be done. Sigh. Ordered the cable from Amazon, showed up today, and with the downloads in this string I was able to turn off the blasted tilt and telescope AND the 30 second burn of the lights after the auto setting. Seriously, I am way more fired up than I should be. Now I am techstream ready for anything else that comes my way.

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- These are out of stock everywhere, or priced crazyily, so I'm selling them to mud members for $39 via paypal/venmo. Ships free. PM if you want.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Can i get this cable and software from you on a usb
My car is a 79 with the 1hdfte
My email is 46solapro@gmail.com
Thanks Darren

Bit more help needed please :) Further to my previous post ( #864 )

I got the cable and it connected to my vehicle, but failed to automatically recognise my vehicle, instead wanting a manual input of vehicle details. Does this suggest that the cable is not functioning as it should? :)

Running XP (32 bit)in virtualbox 5.2.44
Driver: Xhorse MVCI 1.4.8
T-Stream V. 12.20.024

EDIT......UPDATE.......
By selecting JAPAN as my region I was able to get it to come up with my correct engine type, however the "OPTIONS" button has presented me with 3 sets of numbers that I must select one from. I have no idea what they are, so no idea which set applies to my particular vehicle.
Anyone have a clue?
Numbers are: 0208-0503, 0504-, 9801-0207
I cannot proceed without selecting one set.

EDIT 2.........All up & running. Found out they are dates.

Last edited:
I was using techstream last week and it worked well, but today it will connect to the vehicle, but shows all ECUs in yellow = ECU status unknown.
Have tried rebooting, reconnecting to vehicle many times but all ECUs still in yellow.
It is definitely still connecting to the vehicle, because it comes up with model & engine type every time.
I ran Can Bus Check which returned: No Systems Found On Communications Bus.
Any suggestions please?

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- These are out of stock everywhere, or priced crazyily, so I'm selling them to mud members for $39 via paypal/venmo. Ships free. PM if you want.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Hey mate this is great, i bought an expensive one and i thought the software that came with it would make it easy. How wrong i was.
I have a mini-vci j2534 and the red light wont go green even with your setup do you have any suggestions.

Does this work with the FZJ80? bear in mind not all 80's had an obd connector, some only had the toyota DLC under the hood on near the firewall, which would require a obd to 17pin adaptor cable.
I'm trying to establish whether this will work before i go out and spend more $$ on $hit that doesn't work. i've tried many other scan tools with the k-line protocol without any success, from what i have read, not many support M-OBD.

Does this work with the FZJ80? bear in mind not all 80's had an obd connector, some only had the toyota DLC under the hood on near the firewall, which would require a obd to 17pin adaptor cable.
I'm trying to establish whether this will work before i go out and spend more $$ on $hit that doesn't work. i've tried many other scan tools with the k-line protocol without any success, from what i have read, not many support M-OBD.
If your truck is not OBD2, it will not work.

I was using techstream last week and it worked well, but today it will connect to the vehicle, but shows all ECUs in yellow = ECU status unknown.
Have tried rebooting, reconnecting to vehicle many times but all ECUs still in yellow.
It is definitely still connecting to the vehicle, because it comes up with model & engine type every time.
I ran Can Bus Check which returned: No Systems Found On Communications Bus.
Any suggestions please?
running Techstream on my 2001 LC I see the same thing, but after I run Health Check all ECU's are shown as recognized/known status

running Techstream on my 2001 LC I see the same thing, but after I run Health Check all ECU's are shown as recognized/known status
Good to know running health checks may fix this issue.. thanks for the info.

Hi Everyone.

I admit I’m not overly computer literate.
I have followed all the steps as per item No 1 on this thread.
I have a MacBook.
I downloaded the virtual system.

Everything has worked very well, except that I can’t find my specific Landcruiser.

I have just found Landcruiser and it only offers the petrol 6 ltr engine.

My engine is the 4.2 diesel.

I have a 1998 4.2 Landcruiser Amazon VX

I can’t find the Amazon model or the 4.2 Diesel engine.

On one screen it highlighted all sectors in yellow which meant they were there but I couldn’t adjust or interact.

I bought the usb / modem / unit that was suggested on this forum.
I’m just hoping I am doing something wrong.
Thank you for any and all suggestions please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom