How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This version of Tech Stream does not allow one to Customize features - ex: setting Steering Wheel Tilt feature on/off.
Is there a way to enable it?

Strange issue ... VM based versions of TechStream have only read only capability - i.e. the "Customize" button is missing.
What do you think is the reason for this?

One issue I found with Virtual Box and Linux - which might also apply to Macs - is that the user name used in the VM
must be a member of group vboxusers.
I do this so that the VM can access the Mini-VCI cable, and also to make Shares working between my Linux Host and the VM.

$ sudo gpasswd -a your-username vboxusers
$ sudo adduser your-username vboxusers
$ groups your-username

One issue I found with Virtual Box and Linux - which might also apply to Macs - is that the user name used in the VM
must be a member of group vboxusers.
I do this so that the VM can access the Mini-VCI cable, and also to make Shares working between my Linux Host and the VM.

$ sudo gpasswd -a your-username vboxusers
$ sudo adduser your-username vboxusers
$ groups your-username
Maybe that applies to Macs as well as I can't seem to get the VM to recognize the Mini-VCI cable

Maybe that applies to Macs as well as I can't seem to get the VM to recognize the Mini-VCI cable

Also, in the VM, make sure that you check Devices -> USB-> HX M-VCI in order for the Mini-VCI cable to be recognized.

I still cannot see these buttons: Customize Settings and ECU Reprogramming in the VM version.
But they do exist when directly installed in Windows without in a VM.

I can't get this to work on my mac again for some reason. It used to work sometimes and sometimes not, but now, it won't work at all. I even tried to restart the download and install, etc, but VM won't install any more. Any ideas? I really need a reliable set up.

This is what keeps popping up as an error:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Did you load the Virtual Box "Guest Additions"?

No, I'm not sure what Guest Additions is.
Go to the Virtual Box download site:

I run Linux instead of Windows but there are versions for Windows and Apple.
I upgraded to the latest Virtual Box - version 6.1.32
Then after starting the VM, download and install the "Guest Additions":
Devices -> Install Guest Additions

Go to the Virtual Box download site:

I run Linux instead of Windows but there are versions for Windows and Apple.
I upgraded to the latest Virtual Box - version 6.1.32
Then after starting the VM, download and install the "Guest Additions":
Devices -> Install Guest Additions
Thank you, I had only downloaded the OS X hosts for MacBook.

Hi all,
maybe you guys have any idea or saw this before...

I'm using the image and one of these dongles Amazon product ASIN B07BCL3DFR
Most of the stuff works including setting preferences the utilities for AHS, etc. BUT not much relay works when it comes to the engine.
For Data List I get fatal error 0xC004001.
For Active Test Selection I get the same when I try to select a test.
Same for Utility when I try to select a utility.
Trying to run Communication Bus Check is crashing the application with a runtime error inside Techstream.exe.

Thanks

I know cable above on your Amazon link says firmware 2.0.4 but was that version on your cable? My experience with this setup on a 460 showed that live data did require the 2.0.4 cable.... 1.4.x would give errors.

I know cable above on your Amazon link says firmware 2.0.4 but was that version on your cable? My experience with this setup on a 460 showed that live data did require the 2.0.4 cable.... 1.4.x would give errors.
How do you tell that?

It's been a few years since I looked into this but firmware rev of cable showed up in one of the utilities that came with the TS install

Example below

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 1.09.08 PM.png

Last edited:
The funny thing is that I can see, record data, and perform tests for the other modules like lowering the suspension at each corner or turning the ABS light on and off, etc.

The problem is that is not working for the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Luma
Back
Top Bottom