How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think that one is for older OBD1 ports and other is dedicated OBDII.
But do you know, can I read all modules from one port or another, or from both? The cable has been ordered, but no idea when it will be shipped from China with all the news...

But do you know, can I read all modules from one port or another, or from both? The cable has been ordered, but no idea when it will be shipped from China with all the news...
When you say "modules" do you mean the all the computers (ECUs) in the truck? If so, yes. The one in the foot well is your main one and the ONLY one you should use. Other one is for other diagnostics. Note that when you're setting up the techstream software you will need to pick your appropriate region (whether using the VM supplied or getting software with cable).

And that is something that should be brought up... for those using the VM that is provided in the first post. This is ONLY for the US market. If you try to authorize for another "region" you will be required to post a necessary registration license/code. Something that maybe @getco could do in the future. However looks like he has been MIA since November last year.

When you say "modules" do you mean the all the computers (ECUs) in the truck? If so, yes. The one in the foot well is your main one and the ONLY one you should use. Other one is for other diagnostics. Note that when you're setting up the techstream software you will need to pick your appropriate region (whether using the VM supplied or getting software with cable).

And that is something that should be brought up... for those using the VM that is provided in the first post. This is ONLY for the US market. If you try to authorize for another "region" you will be required to post a necessary registration license/code. Something that maybe @getco could do in the future. However looks like he has been MIA since November last year.
Thank you, I have learned a lot from this now. I didn't know the region issue.

But this means I bought the 22 pins connector for nothing, well...

Thank you, I have learned a lot from this now. I didn't know the region issue.

But this means I bought the 22 pins connector for nothing, well...
Think of it this way... If you have buddies with older 80series Land Cruisers or older 70series Land Cruiser or older, Pre-1997 I think, Toyota's you can now work on them! Once you learn how to use the tool and everything then you can help others out. I am learning the software and have offered the service to my club members (regrogramming keys, etc.) for them for the price of a beer and cruiser chat!

Not really a European version of the software... You just have to select the region when first setting up the software or going to the Registration section if already installed (I think).

To have the software authorized though, you do need a key for the specific region. There is another forum (think it was MHHAuto) that you can pay one of their members to authorize your software tag (look on youtube for installation vids to see what I am talking about) and you will need THAT key to authorize for other regions.

I had no problem using Japan as my region, and my 100 Series is a JDM rig. Cleared codes just fine... I used the code that getco provided in the disk image. Having said that, I ONLY reg'd for japan, so perhaps your point was that the code is only good for ONE region? Not sure on that, as both my Land Cruisers are from the mother land, so I had no need of the North American region.

I still haven't tried my KZJ90 yet. Not sure if it will talk to techstream or not...?

After messing with it again for a few hours yesterday I couldn't get the application to recognize any of the registry hacks or drivers for the xhorse drivers no matter what I did. So I caved and purchased a license from OBDInnovations. Got the download link and everything this morning, 10 minutes and the software is up and running and recognizes the XHorse stuff. Well worth the $15 for the v13.00 version.

I didn't try this software because I am not sure of the legality. BUT the xp os works great and this is super easy to set up. It also recognized my 1.4.1 version of mvci j2534 bought from ebay for $12. Again since i doubt its legal I didn't try the software, but I have feeling this would work to set the TPMS on a 2010 Lexus GX460. I think it would see real time pressure gauges and tell you the ID of devices that work and don't. I have no gut feeling on any software but maybe in the future I will have a gut feeling about registering an additional Key Fob. Even though I didn't Use techstream I am very grate someone took the time to make such a wonderful solution. Great job

Why do people prefer to buy a dedicated laptop to run this program? Besides the above argument about having a laptop that’s too big to work on. Is it just so you have a ‘shop’ computer that you don’t mind getting dirty, or is it really that intensive of a program?

Always keep it in the rig and limit what's on the PC in the event it grows legs.

I used the version of tech stream that came on the disk with my cable, install went fine, code worked. but everytime I try to install the drivers for the VCI it says it stopped due to an error and doesn't install. I cant connect to vehicle.

Anyone else seen this? I'm running windows 7

I used the version of tech stream that came on the disk with my cable, install went fine, code worked. but everytime I try to install the drivers for the VCI it says it stopped due to an error and doesn't install. I cant connect to vehicle.

Anyone else seen this? I'm running windows 7

I had a similar experience running Win7-64. I got TechStream 13 as included in my eBay purchase installed and 'registered', but the MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS would not install (32 bit vs 64?). Because of this Techstream would not recognize the adapter and I got some 'cannot connect to VIM' or similar error.

Google led me to this thread and using that I eventually got the dongle communicating to the PC as verified by XHorse firmware. Then you have to change the default adapter in Techstream and everything works.

Yay - no more DRL or automatically tilting steering wheel.

I had a similar experience running Win7-64. I got TechStream 13 as included in my eBay purchase installed and 'registered', but the MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS would not install (32 bit vs 64?). Because of this Techstream would not recognize the adapter and I got some 'cannot connect to VIM' or similar error.

Google led me to this thread and using that I eventually got the dongle communicating to the PC as verified by XHorse firmware. Then you have to change the default adapter in Techstream and everything works.

Yay - no more DRL or automatically tilting steering wheel.

man, I got it to work. I'm dumb. I didn't realize getco had the whole thing setup for us. I was struggling with what came with my cable. Used his files and BAM worked like a charm.

anyone have a different link for the cable? The Amazon link isn't able to find the cable posted in the original post, and I'd like to get this ordered so I can tune up my AHC.

Thanks!

anyone have a different link for the cable? The Amazon link isn't able to find the cable posted in the original post, and I'd like to get this ordered so I can tune up my AHC.

Thanks!
Pretty much any cable will work from most of the China sellers that are found on Amazon or eBay. Most will end up being firmware v1.4.1 but there are some v2.x.x out there, those are typically more expensive. Outside of that you can find some other cables (more domestic) from places like OBDInnovations.

I have version 13.00.xx running on my ThinkPad and have played with it a couple times. The problem that I ran into with the VM was that it did not have a whole lot of resources allocated to it and thus ran quite slow when I did run it on this laptop. For me the $15 for the v13.xx from OBDInnovations was more than worth it and their information to get the system up and running appropriately was spot on, no issues. Probably could use it their registry hack and XHorse driver installation method/items to work with any version if I find that v13 of TechStream is unstable or whatever.

Pretty much any cable will work from most of the China sellers that are found on Amazon or eBay. Most will end up being firmware v1.4.1 but there are some v2.x.x out there, those are typically more expensive. Outside of that you can find some other cables (more domestic) from places like OBDInnovations.

I have version 13.00.xx running on my ThinkPad and have played with it a couple times. The problem that I ran into with the VM was that it did not have a whole lot of resources allocated to it and thus ran quite slow when I did run it on this laptop. For me the $15 for the v13.xx from OBDInnovations was more than worth it and their information to get the system up and running appropriately was spot on, no issues. Probably could use it their registry hack and XHorse driver installation method/items to work with any version if I find that v13 of TechStream is unstable or whatever.

Thanks for this info. Is this the software you purchased? TIS Techstream Software V13.00.022 [Latest Version]

if so, did you also buy the cable from them? Because I found this from them also: MINI-VCI J2534 OBD2 USB Interface for Toyota Firmware V1.4.1 Software V13.00.022

Thanks again for you help!

Thanks for this info. Is this the software you purchased? TIS Techstream Software V13.00.022 [Latest Version]

if so, did you also buy the cable from them? Because I found this from them also: MINI-VCI J2534 OBD2 USB Interface for Toyota Firmware V1.4.1 Software V13.00.022

Thanks again for you help!
Yup that is the version that I purchased, but no I did not purchase the cable from them, that cable does look exactly like mine though. When the Amazon link was still active I had purchased back when I first got my 100 in December. But most have found that any cable will pretty much work, most of the "chinese" cables are all the same J2534 chip that is not able to upgrade the firmware. With some of the more expensive cables, they have a slightly different chip on the board that allows for the firmware to be upgraded/updated through the XHorse drivers/software.

and then there's that aha moment.... i got it!!! what a flipping chore that was for someone who understands computers (that was the problem).

Step 1. US $32.99 |MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream Firmware V2.0.4 Single Cable Support VPW protocol | chinaobd2.com (arrived yesterday from China after about 60 days)
Step 2. Download latest virtual box software (post 1 has version, im sure it will work, i got prompt to update)
Step 3. Install ^^ (after installation, STOP, no need to open the software right now)
Step 4. Download the Mega File from post 1 (on your main pc that you are running virtual box)
Step 5. Double Click the downloaded Mega File ^^^ and when Virtual Box information window pops up, i selected "Import".
Step 6. Open Virtual Box from desktop. A techstream machine is there waiting to be ran!!!!!! (that aha moment) click techstream and start!!

the piece i missed all along.........The download in step 4 has ALL you need. version 12.xxxx techstream AND windows XP. Here my dumb a$$ is looking for windows XP 32 bit iso to create a new virtual box. &^%$( I over thought it.. wont be the last time! lmao. now C1223, C1246, C1252, C1268 and C1340 are my DTC after Health Check.

did i miss a thread on What should i do with techstream when i first get it? and THANKS!

and then there's that aha moment.... i got it!!! what a flipping chore that was for someone who understands computers (that was the problem).

Step 1. US $32.99 |MINI VCI FOR TOYOTA TIS Techstream Firmware V2.0.4 Single Cable Support VPW protocol | chinaobd2.com (arrived yesterday from China after about 60 days)
Step 2. Download latest virtual box software (post 1 has version, im sure it will work, i got prompt to update)
Step 3. Install ^^ (after installation, STOP, no need to open the software right now)
Step 4. Download the Mega File from post 1 (on your main pc that you are running virtual box)
Step 5. Double Click the downloaded Mega File ^^^ and when Virtual Box information window pops up, i selected "Import".
Step 6. Open Virtual Box from desktop. A techstream machine is there waiting to be ran!!!!!! (that aha moment) click techstream and start!!

the piece i missed all along.........The download in step 4 has ALL you need. version 12.xxxx techstream AND windows XP. Here my dumb a$$ is looking for windows XP 32 bit iso to create a new virtual box. &^%$( I over thought it.. wont be the last time! lmao. now C1223, C1246, C1252, C1268 and C1340 are my DTC after Health Check.

did i miss a thread on What should i do with techstream when i first get it? and THANKS!

LOL.... Yeah I kinda did the same thing until I realized that the download file from MEGA was actually a VB environment import, by researching what the file extension was. Once I did that, it was all good.

First thing I did was go through and run all the diagnostics for all ECU for my truck. From there I cleared any old codes and just figured out what was available. First major thing I did was clear out all the keys in the system (aside from the one that is in the ignition because it blocks you from doing that) then re-wrote only my keys to the transponder ECU.

Google the codes that you have and you will find that the first 3 are brake/wheel speed sensor related and last two are center diff related (from just a quick glance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom