How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was able to get the HX M-VCI USB to capture in the VM, although when I run the MVCI Firmware Update tool the device fails to connect.

I must be doing something wrong. This is as far as I can get.

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

What cable is everyone getting for 64 bit compatibility? Seems you can avoid the whole virtual box by doing that .

In case this helps anyone, I was able to get TechStream to work with a 2017 MacBook pro that only only has USB C ports by utilizing a USB C to multi-port adapter.

I was having a difficult time getting the OBD interface to be recognized within Windows/VirtualBox. I then grabbed an old USB mouse that I knew should work and it was not recognized either. I shutdown Windows/VirtualBox , unplugged everything, and plugged it back in while using OS X. The mouse starting working while connected to the multi-port adapter in OS X. I left everything plugged in and restarted VirtualBox and Windows. Voila. The OBD interface was recognized (validated with MVCI tool) and I was able to connect to my vehicle.

Thanks for helping us all out with this.

Reactions: tjb
A video walkthrough of this would be priceless...just saying...

I keep getting a message that virtualbox has an update. When I try to install the update it says, “...close these applications and click retry.” “.....Virtualbox Interface.”

However I have everything closed? So I can’t install the update. Even tried a reboot of the computer and getting the same error.

On another note, the cable came with a Cd-rom disc, I bought the Amazon cable. However, there is not a exe. File on the disc, so I have no idea what or if I need to install anything from the disc...

@getco .. Thanks so much for doing this and helping out aftewards, too. Ordered the suggested cable, followed your directions, and got it up and running on a win7 laptop w/in the virtual machine as you described, and read my AHC pressures. Still have a couple questions..

1. It never seems to work the first time. If I exit Techstream, turn off the VM, and unplug the OBDII cable from the car, then restart everything, it works. I've had to do that each time I've used it (twice so far).

2. I watched the tutorial video on resetting/adding a TPMS sensor back on page 3 (I think). The software works about three times as fast in that video as it does on my laptop (i3 dual core running at 2.4mhz, 8g ram). On mine, it's sooooo slow that you can't really tell if it accepted a button click or not; click a choice, wait 15-20 seconds, then a timer/scroll screen comes up.. another 30 seconds or so.. I could drink a beer between every click, which would make interpreting the data difficult indeed. Is this normal when running inside a VM?

3. I DO have an old Asus Eee notebook kicking around that USED to run a 32bit xp OS, but I wiped it a few years ago to mess around with a few different Linux systems. It would be GREAT if I could press it into service as the dedicated garage machine, but I don't think I have a copy of 32bit XP anymore anywhere. Any ideas? Will Techstream work in Linux with the cable mentioned in this thread?

Thanks so much. What I have now and what you've done for us all DOES work, and is much appreciated. Just trying to feed my impatience monster.

So there is a techstream version for Vista? disregard I found the correct one I hope on amazon. Is there a huge issue between a 32bit version or a 64bit version? I'm a total computer idiot.

Last edited:
Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- https://amazon.com/Fangfei-Mini-Diagnostic-Scanner-Toyota/dp/B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Will this work on Windows 10, 64bit?

Will this work on Windows 10, 64bit?

I accidentally bought the one for XP,7, and 8 accidentally. I need to find the right one for windows 10 also.

Well, shiiiiiiiiiii....... guess I made the same mistake.

So there is a techstream version for Vista? disregard I found the correct one I hope on amazon. Is there a huge issue between a 32bit version or a 64bit version? I'm a total computer idiot.

I don't want to go out on a limb here, but if you purchased _any_ Mini VCI cable, it should work. The windows xp / 7 / 8 / 10 / etc designations are for the software that comes with the cable, which you _aren't_ using if you run the VirtualBox image provided in the first post -- Which will run on almost any OS.

-g

Impressive!!!!
Bought the cable from amazon, downloaded the virtual box and worked like a charm. Now I need to learn to use techstream and not break something.

Bought this cable from Amazon: DIAGKING Toyota Techstream Diagnostic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCL3DFR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
From seller LuckyBuy11
With cable firmware 2.0.4

Using a 2016 MacBook Pro I installed VirtualBox (free) and installed.

Then I downloaded directly from Microsoft the Windows 10 .iso for 64-bit and installed it in the VBox environment.

Next I installed the Java runtime environment for Windows 10 and installed.

Within VBox settings I added USB filters for the VCI cable (once plugged in).

Installed Techstream for 64-bit in the VBox.

Installed the drivers and Program_86 folder from the disk provided in the Amazon purchase.

Ran TechStream, registered with code provided in purchase. Selected driver provided by Amazon vendor in VCI menu.

Already to go! All functions work for 2011 LX570

Bought this cable from Amazon: DIAGKING Toyota Techstream Diagnostic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCL3DFR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
From seller LuckyBuy11
With cable firmware 2.0.4

Using a 2016 MacBook Pro I installed VirtualBox (free) and installed.

Then I downloaded directly from Microsoft the Windows 10 .iso for 64-bit and installed it in the VBox environment.

Next I installed the Java runtime environment for Windows 10 and installed.

Within VBox settings I added USB filters for the VCI cable (once plugged in).

Installed Techstream for 64-bit in the VBox.

Installed the drivers and Program_86 folder from the disk provided in the Amazon purchase.

Ran TechStream, registered with code provided in purchase. Selected driver provided by Amazon vendor in VCI menu.

Already to go! All functions work for 2011 LX570

Got this to work in no time without issues. Thanks for posting!

I cannot read AHC pressures? What am I doing wrong? i cannot even see the AHC ECU or anything that shows pressures? It recognizes my vehicle but it does not show me anything regarding AHC

I cannot read AHC pressures? What am I doing wrong? i cannot even see the AHC ECU or anything that shows pressures? It recognizes my vehicle but it does not show me anything regarding AHC

Don't know for sure. When I first started using it (and I've only used it maybe four times) I was plagued with a lot of the same questions. Mostly, I didn't understand the menu structure/button locations since it's very proprietary compared to the way most run-of-the-mill software works, and I was plagued by my own personal impatience syndrome. Things don't happen quickly... click a choice... WAIT..see if a "... processing.." type of window opens while the program communicates with your car.

To view the AHC pressures, and I'm going by memory, it should be something like this..
1. "Connect to Vehicle" .. once that's done, choose "next"
2. At this point, after a bit, you should see a screen with all the various ECU/Systems available for viewing, and all will be yellow (at least they are for me). You can either choose "Health Check" from the buttons on the left of your screen to query all of the ECUs (or subsets w/in three main systems), or just click (maybe double click? can't remember) on the AHC system.
3. WAIT
4. A new screen should open up. On the left, you'll see the familiar row of big clickable buttons. Choose "Data List." That should get you to the live data screen where you can see your pressures.

I COULD be wrong, but I think that's it.

Is it prompting your vehicle info? Mine defaults to Toyota and doesn't show ahc. It's gotten me more times than I'd like to admit.

Last edited:
Is it prompting you vehicle info? Mine defaults to Toyota and doesn't show ahc. It's gotten me more times than is like to admit.

I bet that is it, it is showing as a Toyota Land Cruiser. Going to check now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom