How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay. I have updated the Virtual Machine to fix a bug that prevented TechStream from opening. The MEGA link has been updated to V2. Redownloading should fix.

-g

I have installed this several times and I keep getting a

"Critical Update" Software is out of date as of Sep 12th 2016
You must update and every option is greyed out except update.

Any thoughts?
Disconnect from the network when you run it. If it cannot check for updates, it will run something like 29(?) times with no network connectivity to phone home, then you just reset the counter in the configs when it gets to zero.

So I got all the pieces for this together and gave it a shot today now that the v2 file is present (thanks @getco). Went with the Amazon cable, and I'm running VirtualBox on my MacBookPro Late 2010. All seems to be going well, everything connected up, truck running (is this correct?), and then saw a whole lot of nothing:

View media item 67428
And then nothing to customize either:
View media item 67429
Have not tried on my wife's IS350 yet, but it seems like the hardware/software is all working. It sees a UZJ100, I input the VIN when it asked for it, no errors at any point, etc. Any input from the crowd?

Thank you @getco. After struggling on and off for the past few months with different windows machines, downloaded versions and driver hell, I'm now using tech stream on my MacBook Pro and reading AHC pressures on the '99 LX. Pressures are way high which is what I expected, but I wanted to know pressures before replacing rear springs to compensate for the extra weight.

Thank you @getco. After struggling on and off for the past few months with different windows machines, downloaded versions and driver hell, I'm now using tech stream on my MacBook Pro and reading AHC pressures on the '99 LX. Pressures are way high which is what I expected, but I wanted to know pressures before replacing rear springs to compensate for the extra weight.

I have a Mac Book Air, would you mind sharing which cable you used and which download did you work with. I would love to get this on my Mac Book

I plan on using this on a windows 10 gaming laptop and the amazon cable which I just ordered. My first order of business is going to be to try and reset the TPMS ECU. I have been to two different shops and neither can get a new set of VDO sensors to program to my 07LC with the TPMS scan tool. They can scan the five sensors for the five wheels including the spare, but the process of uploading through the ODBII interface always fails. I called VDO tech support this morning and they suggested doing a TPMS reset. Can Techstream do this?

Hi @TurbineTester,

Probably best to start a new thread so this one can focus on the narrow topic of this particular method of techstream install, but this should get you started:

Cheers,
-g

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. Options:
- https://amazon.com/Fangfei-Mini-Diagnostic-Scanner-Toyota/dp/B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)
- Ship From USA VXDIAG VCX NANO for TOYOTA TIS Techstream V12.10.019 With SAEJ2534 | eBay ($79, Shipped)
- Others, I'm sure.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

I just found this thread - is Virtual Box = TechStream + cable driver combined?

I just found this thread - is Virtual Box = TechStream + cable driver combined?

VirtualBox is technology that essentially allows you to have a running computer *inside* your computer, no matter if it's mac or windows (or linux).

Combine VirtualBox, the technology, with the Software in Step 4, and you do get 'TechStream + Cable Driver'.

Hmm..... having thoughts of getting it to work on Jessie/Raspbian...... although I already have one that is dedicated to the FJ40 for tunerstudio/megasquirt, I have thoughts of a 7" touchscreen with a rpi3 for use in the LX470 now.... among other things the rpi3 could do in addition to....

I have a Mac Book Air, would you mind sharing which cable you used and which download did you work with. I would love to get this on my Mac Book

@Slamd1958 , I purchased my cable from ebay last fall. the listing is no longer there but the item description was "MINI VCI for TOYOTA V12.10.019 Single Cable Support TIS OEM Diagnostic Software" sold by obd2diag. This cable and software is the 32 bit version only. As mentioned before I have struggled a number of times trying to get this cable/software to work on a couple of Windows machines, both Windows 10 OS and Windows 7 OS.

What did work for me was using my MacBook Pro touchbar machine. On this I used this thread to download the VirtualBox. This got me Techstream with a working Key. But the VirtualBox didn't have the correct driver for the cable I owned. I used the mini cd supplied with the cable to save the driver file to the desktop of my Mac. I have an LG usb cd/dvd drive. I dragged and dropped the driver file from the Mac desktop to the VirtualBox/Windows XP desktop. On VirtualBox/Windows I installed the driver for the cable and that ultimately worked.

I did have trouble getting the VitrtualBox and related Windows XP to recognize the MINI VCI cable. This may be due to my use of an Apple adapter since the MacBook Pro only has USB-C ports. Various times of relaunching Virtual Box and replugging in the cable and/or adapter eventually worked. For the life of me I don't know what combination is "right".

I have successfully done this twice now and have been able to read the AHC pressures before making any changes and after replacing fluid and rear springs. I'm happy to say my pressures are now much closer to spec and truck rides much differently.

Silly question - vehicle was bought with only 2 keys (are not fob-style keys - one valet, one master) - will this allow me to program a blank fob for remote access by chance? Wondering before I make my Amazon order....

Last edited:
Silly question - vehicle was bought with only 2 keys (are not fob-style keys - one valet, one master) - will this allow me to program a blank fob for remote access by chance? Wondering before I make my Amazon order....
I recall a function in techstream to program a master, but I don't think there is a way to program remote functionality.
I used this, it clears all remotes, so be ready to program all of them (if you have multiple).

OK Success! The trick appears to be to be in the early steps. Open the drivers door, close AND LOCK all the other doors with the switch and manually unlock the drivers door. Revised steps that worked for me:

Program Remote Key: FSM sequence E (1998-2002)

When doing any of these operations timing is critical – use a watch if you have no sense of time. :)

Begin with the key out of the ignition and drivers door open and unlocked (all other doors closed and locked).

1. Insert remote key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and then pull remote key out.
Within 40 seconds ;

1. Use the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Close, then open the drivers door.
Within 40 seconds;

1. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 (five) lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
  2. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF
  3. Remove the key from the ignition.
Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

To accept a remote transmitter perform these steps within 40 seconds;

1. On the remote key, press the Lock and Unlock buttons simultaneously for 1 second.
  2. Immediately after letting go of the Lock and Unlock buttons, press the Lock button and hold for 2 seconds.
Within 3 seconds of completing the steps above the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically. If the door locks do not cycle, your remote has not been accepted. Repeat steps 1 and 2 of remote acceptance procedure above.

Close the drivers door. Test new remote functions.​

After spending a few hours doinking around with bootcamp and all that crap, only to have Techstream crash a bunch at random, this really did work in just five minutes. Runs flawless. Many thanks.

Hi @TurbineTester,

Probably best to start a new thread so this one can focus on the narrow topic of this particular method of techstream install, but this should get you started:

Cheers,
-g

Thanks for posting this. I got Techstream and VM downloading and running. I didn't have a chance to check the cable yet but i didn't get asked for a key or anything yet.

Thanks!

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- https://amazon.com/Fangfei-Mini-Diagnostic-Scanner-Toyota/dp/B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.

Do you need the networking function enabled on the Virtual Box?

VirtualBox is technology that essentially allows you to have a running computer *inside* your computer, no matter if it's mac or windows (or linux).

Combine VirtualBox, the technology, with the Software in Step 4, and you do get 'TechStream + Cable Driver'.

So I am doing something incorrectly, I tried to create a 32-bit XP Virtual Box, but when I try to start it, it says "FATAL - no bootable medium found. System halted.".

Que? Does this have something to do with the Host Drive? The only option it would point to is a D drive that is a CD/DVD drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom