Cream Puff Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to start by saying this is a great forum, it helped me with researching/purchasing and now maintaining and improving my 1998 LX470. I looked for several months with no luck. My goal was to get a 100 series, make the initial mods, and do it for less $ than I will get for my built 07 Jeep JK. My budget put me in the 150-200k mile range, so I wanted to make sure the major maintenance items were done. A buddy of mine gave me a lead on a pristine LX in Mississippi. So I went to take a look.

A Land Cruiser was quite a change for me, I have always been a Jeep guy. I have been able to drive for 22 years, and I have owned a Jeep for 16 of those years. My current DD is a 07 Jeep JK that is nicely built, previously I had a TJ based buggy that I raced King of the Hammers with twice. My current Jeep had one small problem, not enough seats. My wife and I have three kids and we have one more due any day now. I needed more seats, and the Land Cruiser peaked my interest.

A few pics below of my KOH Buggy and my current DD.

172291_1712779871601_4009233_o.jpg

467259_4074485912776_1668268121_o.jpg

So I got a lead on a 100 series in good condition only a few hours away. I got some pics and info from the owner and decided to take a look. Owner had it for 10 years and had done all the major maintenance items and was pretty anal about maintenance and repairs. In the last year the vehicle had all the front end components replaced (shafts, rack, ball joints), new brake master cylinder, and the timing belt was done at 90k. The LX has 165k miles and was in great condition inside and out, hard to believe it was 19 years old. There was 10 years of service history and it was pretty impressive. It was a non-nav vehicle, but the PO swapped in a nice head unit and speakers, so one less thing I had to do. I pulled the trigger on it and drove it home

IMG_8880.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

Last edited:
Initial mods were basic:

1. Proper Cleaning
  2. Bigger Wheels & Tires
  3. AHC Lift
  4. Floor Liners
  5. Interior LED's from Pfran
  6. External Light Bulbs
  7. Full Maintenance
  8. Slee Sliders
LX was super clean, but the interior needed a once over, so I spent several hours cleaning the carpet and leather. It helped. I found some brand new 18" Tundra take offs for $250 and got some Falken Wildpeak 275/70/18 tires. Did some research and decided to do the AHC sensor lift for now. It got me about 2" of lift. For floor liners I got some WeatherTech mats all around. The interior lights were bad, so the Pfran kit was a non brainer. I will eventually get much better headlights, but for now I replaced all the exterior bulbs with OSRAM bulbs. I have some Slee sliders on order, and I will ditch the factory steps when they get here.

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

After driving it for two weeks, it was due for an oil change. Decided to baseline all the fluids so I can be sure they are all good.

I did the following:
  1. Oil/Filter
  2. Air Filter
  3. Cabin Air Filters
  4. Front/Rear Diff Fluid
  5. Tcase Fluid
  6. Drain & Fill Trans Fluid
  7. Bled & Changed AHC Fluid

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

I was very impressed with how easy it was to work on. The panels for oil change access, the lip around the oil filter to direct runoff, and the fact that every fluid had a train plug! Even the AHC was easy to bleed, and boy did it need it! That stuff was nasty.

Last edited:
I have the following items on the way:
  1. Diff Drop
  2. Rear 30mm spring packers
  3. Slee Sliders
I also plan to PlastiDip the grill and emblems and probably do a mud flap delete. The Slee Blueberry bumper is definitely on the wish list, hope to do it soon.

That's it for now, I will update once I have more parts in.

Last edited:
Looking good!
One other major item to consider, the heater T's that are near the firewall at the back of the engine. These start to get pretty brittle around yours age/mileage. Also a good time to do a drain/flush/fill of the coolant system.
Oh and these have a timing belt, not chain.

Thanks for the info. Heater T's were done also. Left the PO stranded not too long ago. I even have a spare in the glove box.

Shout out to @reevesci for a few items. Needed rear spring packers to get my AHC pressures back to normal and decided to go ahead and get a diff drop. I felt the pros of a diff drop outweigh the cons, which was just basically the cost. The Trail Tailor diff drop came bare, which saved me about $65 over the competition. I plan to hit it with etching primer and a few coats of paint.

My Slee steps are on the way. Ran into some shipping issues because it appears their freight company is no more, which left them scrambling for a way to get my sliders here. They arrive tomorrow, so I hope to throw them on this weekend.

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

Where in Birmingham are you? And how old are your kids? I'll be anxious to hear if the AHC lift and sliders suffice in lieu of the running boards.

I live in Gardendale, but work in Hoover. Kids are 8, 6, 2 and 2 days old, lol. I should have the sliders on tomorrow, so I will report back then. I really like the AHC lift, it still moves into all three positions.

My 98 LX470 has a fully functioning AHC that supports MetalTech sliders, IronMan Bullbar bumper, Gamiviti roof rack, full sized 33" spare on a matching 18" wheel and...when traveling....a loaded 75 quart cooler + 80-100lbs of gear. Went over a ton of high mountain, rocky passes in Colorado in the High setting and AHC never scrammed.

Got a few pics of the Trail Tailor Diff Drop install. Pretty easy and straightforward.

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

Got my Slee Sliders installed yesterday. Pretty easy job, looks much better now.

Only thing left to do is 30mm spring packers in the rear.

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

Good to see more Bham folks on here. I think you know my good buddy Brennan from the early hardline days. He's in Daphne now, but went to HIH6 with me last year and bought his wife a GX460 when he got back that he plans to build.

Last edited:
Good to see more Bham folks on here. I think you know my good buddy Brennan from the early hardline days. He's in Daphne now, but went to HIH6 with me last year and bought his wife a GX460 when he got back that he plans to build.

Captain Carl. Aka SagNuts. Small world man!

Will got some updated pics as I have done some minor mods. Mostly had it out with the kids exploring!

303EE582-ADE1-46D8-974B-1EF850CF2E2D.jpeg

454F25DC-3B6B-4EDC-93CB-5812C9E762E2.jpeg

7C8457E4-17C9-4DE4-8FA9-9A3AB2EB4597.jpeg

9C4D0E47-9DCF-4388-ADF6-4BEFAADBB04F.jpeg

Found it in Jackson, MS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom