How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface.
- I have sold out of my cables and supply chains are back in order, so no reason to purchase more. Anything like this will work: Mini-VCI cable on eBay

Step 2: Download Hypervisor
Step 3: Install Software You Just Downloaded
  • Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
  • MacOS:
    • Intel Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer
    • M1/M2 Mac: Double-Click downloaded file, drag to Applications folder

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- Windows / Intel Mac: LINK
- M1/M2 Mac: LINK

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (04/08/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
Edit (10/30/22): M1 Compatible workflow / updated virtualbox links

Last edited:
I noticed with my '98 LC that I don't have a ton of settings that I can adjust, is that what others are seeing?

For example, I'd like to adjust my wiper delay and keyfob unlock settings, but it looks like they're not available. Is there a list of accessible settings for each year of vehicle?

I noticed with my '98 LC that I don't have a ton of settings that I can adjust, is that what others are seeing?

For example, I'd like to adjust my wiper delay and keyfob unlock settings, but it looks like they're not available. Is there a list of accessible settings for each year of vehicle?

I don't have very many settings in my '02 LX.

I have a Mac. Have you tried that interface from Ebay with Apple?

I successfully run this setup on a Mac with the VXDIAG (eBay) interface. I wasn't able to get AHC pressures with a Mini-VCI cable (Amazon) and borked it trying to flash an experimental firmware. I did not purchase my Mini-VCI cable from the Amazon seller above so I may have just had a bad cable.

(Update: I purchased another Mini VCI Cable (Amazon Cable), and was able to read pressures)

-g

Last edited:
I don't have very many settings in my '02 LX.

I successfully run this setup on a Mac with the VXDIAG (eBay) interface. I wasn't able to get AHC pressures with a Mini-VCI cable (Amazon) and borked it trying to flash an experimental firmware. I did not purchase my Mini-VCI cable from the Amazon seller above so I may have just had a bad cable.

-g

Am I correct to say the above instructions in post #1 is not working with AHC pressures?

Am I correct to say the above instructions in post #1 is not working with AHC pressures?

I am able to read the AHC ECU (And All ECUs for that matter) using the VXDIAG (ebay) OBD-II interface. I also purchased a Mini-VCI cable, (But not from the amazon seller above) and was unable to communicate with the AHC ECU, but had no issue reading the other ECUs. Again, possible I just had a bad Mini-VCI cable.

In the linked image above, drivers for both interfaces are pre-installed.

I am able to read the AHC ECU (And All ECUs for that matter) using the VXDIAG (ebay) OBD-II interface. I also purchased a Mini-VCI cable, (But not from the amazon seller above) and was unable to communicate with the AHC ECU, but had no issue reading the other ECUs. Again, possible I just had a bad Mini-VCI cable.

In the linked image above, drivers for both interfaces are pre-installed.

Thanks!. BTW I couldn't download the file from MEGA. Do you have another link handy?

Thanks for the information! I was able to run the program.

Anyone have any experience with the wired vs wireless OBD interface? I'm wondering if its worth an additional 50 dollars for the VXDiag version.

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. Options:
- https://amazon.com/Fangfei-Mini-Diagnostic-Scanner-Toyota/dp/B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)
- Ship From USA VXDIAG VCX NANO for TOYOTA TIS Techstream V12.10.019 With SAEJ2534 | eBay ($79, Shipped)
- Others, I'm sure.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Oh hell yes, thanks!!!

Man this is so helpful. I couldn't find anything in FAQ and all the posts about Techstream assumed you had it already I was so lost lol. :banana:

Thanks!. BTW I couldn't download the file from MEGA. Do you have another link handy?

I'll upload to MediaFire as a backup. Will update the OP when it's finished.

Thanks for the information! I was able to run the program.

Anyone have any experience with the wired vs wireless OBD interface? I'm wondering if its worth an additional 50 dollars for the VXDiag version.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the VXDiag model I linked to in the OP. If you are, it isn't wireless. I'd probably just purchase the Mini-VCI cable first, and if that works for you, perfect. If it doesn't, return it within 30 days and buy the VXDiag if necessary. It's the techstream software that's doing the heavy lifting, so theoretically (if they are both good cables), each will give you identical functionality.

I only purchased the VXDiag because I was having issues reading AHC trouble codes, and those two interfaces use different drivers.

Oh hell yes, thanks!!!
Man this is so helpful. I couldn't find anything in FAQ and all the posts about Techstream assumed you had it already I was so lost lol. :banana:

Welcome :cheers: -- Least I could do.

Thanks @getco this is very helpful. So, what exactly does Techstream allow us to see/modify?

For LX, and LC owners with AHC, Techstream allow us to see AHC pressures + trouble codes. Even without AHC it allows everything from basic 'check engine' light diagnosis, key programming (May only be 04+?), and adjustment of some settings like 'roll down my windows when I unlock the car' --- the adjustable preferences differ with different model years. Not too many on my '02 LX, but I believe the folks with newer LC/LXs have more options.

-g

Awesome. Took me a while to figure out how to get techstream working but once up and running it allowed me to get rid of the VGRS light that has been on since I replaced the steering control ECU a few months back. Just needed a quick reset. Probably saved me $140 from having the dealer do this.

The $20 amazon cable worked just fine and you actually get a copy of techstream on the included CD. For those that are not too tech savy (like myself), the reason for the virtual machine is to run TS in 32 bit mode, which is necessary for the cable to work properly. Anything newer than windows XP is 64 bit.

Also, when TS connected to my LX, it recognized it as a 2003 Landcruiser. While I was able to access a few of the onboard ECUs, many were not visible. I had to reconfigure to the correct vehicle (2003 LX) and then the other ECUs, including the VGRS ecu, were visible.

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Having issues downloading the one for Mac. it keeps coming up with an error and won't install the program from Virtualbox.... Any help would be appreciate

Great info!
Thank you.

@BadReligion, Vista, Win7, 8 and 10 do actually have 32bit versions available, not that you'd generally want it though. :)
They are often preinstalled on cheaper mini laptops and the like.
The retail versions of the OS often gave you the option to install either the 32bit or the 64bit versions.

The drivers for the cheaper listed cable says it only supports XP and 7 however.
Its no doubt possible to get it working in later OSs though, but it could be painful.
If in doubt though, Virtualbox should do the trick.

Thanks re your info about having to reconfigure TS for the LX to see the other ECUs.
Good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom