How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do I enter for "new key."

1708106658263.png

This is the best post so far I this subject but I still can’t get it to work. I just ordered another cable. I hope it works 😩

Last edited:
Question - what was purpose of this reset. Just throwing a code?
I did this too when I recently replaced my ABS assembly but don’t know why lol just followed instructions
I tried to connect the car to a OBD2 scanner. But as it is from 2000 and a European delivered car, it’s not OBD2 compliant, which I only found out after I tried to connect it.
After the failed connection it threw the code.
Later a read on the forum somewhere that this happened to someone before. But I can’t find this post anymore.

Has anyone had it only connect one time and not able to connect again? I am on my second amazon cable and I am afraid that it already went bad. I managed to set my pressures earlier today and when i went back to reconnect later in the day today it never worked again?? I completely erased and reinstalled the software again and it still says it cant communicate w VIM. It sees the cable but wont connect? Anything else I am missing? I am losing my mind here...

@Wheeliee are you using Virtual Box or UTM? I've found that I have to manually select the usb cable. It only auto connects the first time for some reason.

It shows up here on UTM. I think it's under "devices" on Virtual Box.
1708391115409.png

@Wheeliee are you using Virtual Box or UTM? I've found that I have to manually select the usb cable. It only auto connects the first time for some reason.

It shows up here on UTM. I think it's under "devices" on Virtual Box.
View attachment 3561937
I am using virtual box through my MacBook and I do have to select the usb each time. That seems to work fine and it sees the cable along with the tone it makes when it connects but when I try to connect through techstream I get this error that says can’t connect to vim. On the first bad cable I had it just never recognized the cable . It worked great earlier today so I am baffled . I’m going to try on a windows based computer tomorrow 😑

Last edited:
A little update to my conectivity issues...After getting my snap on scanner to communicate (but doesnt let me see airbag and AHC info) which lets me know its not the car having an issue, I am certain it is the cable that failed after the first use. This was after I deleted everything and did a complete reinstall multiple times. The cable is recognized and seen in the VirtualBox and I can see the green light in the window showing its communicating w the cable. I am finding a slight variance in the cables I have been ordering. I just ordered a THIRD cable from a different supplier on ebay. The cable I have now has the little USB wires soldered directly to the circuit board in the connector and the cable before had a plug that plugged into the circuit board. I think it is just cheap knock offs I am getting. Both of those were ordered form the same seller on Amazon? I wish I could verify a good seller with legit cables. This ebay one has me woried also. Guess I'll see. I am almost to the point of buying a real techstream this is pissing me off so bad ha ha

Have you tried the one posted here? Techstream in 5 minutes.
The version on page 1 does work with I can see live data on the ahc system and a few other things
But i get an error when trying to read ecm/tcm data. not sure if its the cord or that version of techstream.

Hey everyone. Thank you @getco for sharing this guide with us. I was able to get Techstream running on an M2 air. I'm using a generic VCI J2534 cable purchased from Amazon (click on hyperlink).

I was able to get around the "Unable to connect to vim" error message by selecting the XHorse MVCI driver from the TIS main menu.

1. Within UTM, make sure you're passing your USB device to the VM. You'll see a checkmark next to the device.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.37.10.png

2. Navigate to where Techstream is installed - C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Teachstream\bin

3. Open "MainMenu" application. You can disregard the registration window, click on "Cancel".

4. In the toolbar menu, click on "Setup" then "VIM Select"

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.35.25.png

5. A new window will pop up called "VIM Select". Click on the dropdown and select "XHorse - MVCI".

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.35.35.png

6. To ensure connectivity, click on "Detail". The XHorse firmware update tool application will open. Click on "Device Info". You should see your USB device connected. After confirming, close the XHorse application and click on "OK" in the VIM Select window to save your changes.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 13.36.18.png

7. Now you can open the Techstream shortcut on your desktop and connect to your vehicle.

Best of luck!

A little update to my conectivity issues...After getting my snap on scanner to communicate (but doesnt let me see airbag and AHC info) which lets me know its not the car having an issue, I am certain it is the cable that failed after the first use. This was after I deleted everything and did a complete reinstall multiple times. The cable is recognized and seen in the VirtualBox and I can see the green light in the window showing its communicating w the cable. I am finding a slight variance in the cables I have been ordering. I just ordered a THIRD cable from a different supplier on ebay. The cable I have now has the little USB wires soldered directly to the circuit board in the connector and the cable before had a plug that plugged into the circuit board. I think it is just cheap knock offs I am getting. Both of those were ordered form the same seller on Amazon? I wish I could verify a good seller with legit cables. This ebay one has me woried also. Guess I'll see. I am almost to the point of buying a real techstream this is pissing me off so bad ha ha
I wanted to update that I tried the latest revision cable and it works again. So I had one bad cable from the start, the second cable worked one time and then went bad. The third and hopefully final cable is currently working. If you know you have done everything and it still won’t connect I will bet dollars to donuts the cable is bad or if it works and all of a sudden doesn’t , the cable went bad. Now I can stop pulling what’s left of my hair out for awhile. 😂

Hey everyone. Thank you @getco for sharing this guide with us. I was able to get Techstream running on an M2 air. I'm using a generic VCI J2534 cable purchased from Amazon (click on hyperlink).

I was able to get around the "Unable to connect to vim" error message by selecting the XHorse MVCI driver from the TIS main menu.

1. Within UTM, make sure you're passing your USB device to the VM. You'll see a checkmark next to the device.

View attachment 3565861

2. Navigate to where Techstream is installed - C:\Program Files\Toyota Diagnostics\Teachstream\bin

3. Open "MainMenu" application. You can disregard the registration window, click on "Cancel".

4. In the toolbar menu, click on "Setup" then "VIM Select"

View attachment 3565865

5. A new window will pop up called "VIM Select". Click on the dropdown and select "XHorse - MVCI".

View attachment 3565868

6. To ensure connectivity, click on "Detail". The XHorse firmware update tool application will open. Click on "Device Info". You should see your USB device connected. After confirming, close the XHorse application and click on "OK" in the VIM Select window to save your changes.

View attachment 3565870

7. Now you can open the Techstream shortcut on your desktop and connect to your vehicle.

Best of luck!
Great info, Did your cable originally work fine and then stop working ? Now I am wondering if this has been my issue all along despite my latest cable seems to work fine now without doing any of that.

Great info, Did your cable originally work fine and then stop working ? Now I am wondering if this has been my issue all along despite my latest cable seems to work fine now without doing any of that.
I wasn't able to get this cable to work until I switched the interface settings.

I may be too late for the specific user I'm replying to, but I'm on Windows 10, not MacOS like some of the recent users who've been successful in getting the #1 post techstream running.

I delved into figuring out why the Windows XP VirtualBox image, it would crash upon loading. Safe Mode would run, but prohibit access to the USB devices, especially the mVCI cable.

Turns out, that Windows 10 often is enabling Virtualization-based Security by default, so you want to disable that for the virtual machine to run and have access to your USB devices when starting normally (and not in safe mode):
  1. Check if virtualization is enabled.
    1. Windows Key > Type 'system information' > enter.
    2. Scroll down in 'System Summary' to the record "Virtualization-based Security | Running"
  2. Disable VBS/HVCI
    1. Windows Key > Type 'core isolation' > enter
    2. Toggle 'Memory Integrity' to 'off'. (Keep it off if it is already off) then reboot (don't need to if it's already off)

3. Win + R > 'regedit' > enter
    4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard
    5. Set EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity to 0 (zero). (if it does not exist, then do not worry about editing this registry key, and proceed to the next direction).

6. Windows Key > Type 'turn windows features on or off' > enter.
    7. Scroll down to 'Virtual Machine Platform' and uncheck the box.
    8. Reboot your machine.
  3. Redo step 1.1 & 1.2 to confirm that the entry says 'Not Running'.

It took until 2.6 for me - but others it may be one of the prior steps to disable VBS. With VBS disabled, I'm now successfully able to start the Techstream virtual machine without issue.
This comment was an absolute lifesaver for me, thank you so much.

View attachment 3598592

Something like this cable is fine, correct? Or do I need smth different?
View attachment 3598592

Something like this cable is fine, correct? Or do I need smth different?
Looks right, but can’t verify this exact one. I can give you the link to the one I ordered, and can confirm it works: Mini VCI TIS OBD J2534 For Toyota Lexus Scion with latest Techstream V18.00.012 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/175953240568?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wmislynrrj-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom