How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can confirm this cable worked for me on a 2015 LC

.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V4B9CZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep getting an error as follows:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine TechStream 12.20.024.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I went into the bios of my computer and enabled virtualizaion technologies. It tried to start running once, then errored out and I can't get past this error code again. Any ideas?

Anyone getting crashes while trying to run the health check?

I read through this entire thread before trying to setup my ancient laptop running Win 10. Everything seemed to go well. I had no issues setting up the VM and Techstream using the links and directions from the OP. I then went out to the rig, and had no trouble connecting it to my Sequoia. Yay!

HOWEVER, every time I try to run a health check it crashes (closes) about 1/2 way through. First test I did I tried all the modules and it just crashed at 4 or 5 of 9. Next time I just tried engine and it completed 2/2 (the top status line) but the second line "Checking network" was only half way done. Anyone seen this?

I assume the cable is fine since it connected and showed the correct vehicle/year, etc....

Could thIs be as simple as not having enough memory allocated (I left it at the default 512mb) I could probably bump it up to 1mb but the laptop only has 3mb RAM and I think the VM takes at least 2.

Or do I have bigger issues? Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA

PS - found one other mention of the crashing in google search but no solutions.

I read through this entire thread before trying to setup my ancient laptop running Win 10. Everything seemed to go well. I had no issues setting up the VM and Techstream using the links and directions from the OP. I then went out to the rig, and had no trouble connecting it to my Sequoia. Yay!

HOWEVER, every time I try to run a health check it crashes about 1/2 way through. First test I did I tried all the modules and it just crashed at 4 or 5 of 9. Next time I just tried engine and it completed 2/2 (the top status line) but the second line "Checking network" was only half way done. Anyone seen this?

I assume the cable is fine since it connected and showed the correct vehicle/year, etc....

Could thIs be as simple as not having enough memory allocated (I left it at the default 512mb) I could probably bump it up to 1mb but the laptop only has 3mb RAM and I think the VM takes at least 2.

TIA
Why is this such a wonky, esoteric process with these trucks? EVERY other vehicle I have had for the past 20 years plugs right up to any OBDI II software. Is there another more professional option like a dedicated reader we can buy?

I got the cable from Amazon and will try to get it work with my son’s ancient windows laptop although no one has XP anymore.

Update: I upped the memory in the VM to 1mb and messed around with a couple other things I can't remember right now (impressive t-shooting, right?) and tried it again. It still crashed on the Healthcheck (3 of 9). However, I WAS able to get into the customizing (not much to do on an 04 Sequoia but I did change the timing for my interior lights staying on, and re-lock timing for the doors), and able to view trouble codes for all the modules when I tried them individually and was even able to run some tests. Curiously, the 3rd module (ABS/VSC, etc) was the one with DTCs and it took a really long time to complete. I'm wondering if the combo of my machine's low amounts of memory, combined with the time it took to pull the codes is what what is causing the crashing.

At any rate, I have another machine that I'll probably try this on at some point. But for now it's doing 90 percent of what I need.

HOWEVER, every time I try to run a health check it crashes (closes) about 1/2 way through. First test I did I tried all the modules and it just crashed at 4 or 5 of 9. Next time I just tried engine and it completed 2/2 (the top status line) but the second line "Checking network" was only half way done. Anyone seen this?

TIA

PS - found one other mention of the crashing in google search but no solutions.
Which version are you using?
I previously has v13 running smoothly on my Win10 PC (no VM) and had for about a year. But something in the last 3-4 months windows update-wise has borked that and now anytime I try to get into monitors it crashes to desktop without an error message. I am assuming this is probably a driver incompatibility with the older version of TIS.

My solution was to go back to v12.20.024 that I had laying around and install that. Everything is working perfectly now and I can get in and out of monitors, utilities, etc. without issue. From some other digging I have done, it seems that v13 had stability issues with Win10 that are known on the professional side. Apparently this looks to have been corrected in v14, but don't know how hard that is to get your hands on. For my 98, v12.xx is more than adequate as I don't have any of those items that allow for customization.

Which version are you using?
I previously has v13 running smoothly on my Win10 PC (no VM) and had for about a year. But something in the last 3-4 months windows update-wise has borked that and now anytime I try to get into monitors it crashes to desktop without an error message. I am assuming this is probably a driver incompatibility with the older version of TIS.

My solution was to go back to v12.20.024 that I had laying around and install that. Everything is working perfectly now and I can get in and out of monitors, utilities, etc. without issue. From some other digging I have done, it seems that v13 had stability issues with Win10 that are known on the professional side. Apparently this looks to have been corrected in v14, but don't know how hard that is to get your hands on. For my 98, v12.xx is more than adequate as I don't have any of those items that allow for customization.
Yep, I'm running 12.20.024 -- the one that's in the OP. Like I said, I'm reasonably OK with how it's working now. On my rig there isn't much to customize -- I really only need it for pulling ABS/Trac/Airbag codes -- otherwise I'll just use OBD Fusion etc with a standard BT code reader. When I get my kids back to school for the summer, I'll dig up one of their old laptops and see if something with a bit better spec gives me the full functionality.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

By any chance anyone has a MHH Auto account? They are charging now to get registered.

@rrc swb MHH is what again?
Yep. They sent me an email asking for $25.

Screenshot_20210616-101852_Gmail.jpg

Why use MHH? If you are just trying to get the software you can do so through OBD Innovations or usually when you purchase a cable it comes with v12.

Thanks for the link,

Anyone confirm or deny this would be ok for my 2000 LC? Or is there something older in firmware I need to look at?

Can confirm, got my cable (same that was linked) a couple weeks ago and just tested everything last night. Works like a charm. VM installed on an old MacBook Air with the Techstream link in the OP.

Why use MHH? If you are just trying to get the software you can do so through OBD Innovations or usually when you purchase a cable it comes with v12.
I tried the VM before and didn't work for me. :-(

Looking for options.

I tried the VM before and didn't work for me. :-(

Looking for options.
Interesting... well OBD Innovations sells the cables and software on their site. I would recommend AGAINST getting v13 as it is unstable with Win10. I ended up reverting back to v12.024 to get a stable version going, otherwise v13 would crash when I attempted to pull up the live monitors. Don't know if v14 or v15 is more stable with Win10 or if sold by OBD Innovations.

Has anyone been able to get virtual box and techstream running using the latest version of Mac OS (Big Sur)?

Interesting... well OBD Innovations sells the cables and software on their site. I would recommend AGAINST getting v13 as it is unstable with Win10. I ended up reverting back to v12.024 to get a stable version going, otherwise v13 would crash when I attempted to pull up the live monitors. Don't know if v14 or v15 is more stable with Win10 or if sold by OBD Innovations.
I have v13 and v15. I'll try v12.

OBD Innovations doesn't have them right now. It's back-ordered.

Thanks for the advice.

Wait a min OBD innovations sells Techstream and charges for it? for Software that is offered by the OP of this post? why would you not just use the instructions to the OP and make it work. I understand you will still need a specific cable but thats all you need.. Get the specific cable and then get the Techstream image and get it going. Not sure why you need OBD innovations or MHH or any other company to get Techsteam working. They just making money on a simple DIY.

Has anyone been able to get virtual box and techstream running using the latest version of Mac OS (Big Sur)?

I just installed on Catalina and will update to Big Sur tonight to verify it still works, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Just google "Virtualbox", click "Downloads", under the title "VirtualBox 6.1.22 platform packages" click on the "OS X Hosts" link, click the downloaded .dmg to install, launch VirtualBox simply to verify it works, then download and launch the Techstream .ova in the OP. Then you launch Techstream from VirtualBox after it has been installed, Windows XP 32-bit will boot and Techstream will have a desktop icon that you can launch.

Wait a min OBD innovations sells Techstream and charges for it? for Software that is offered by the OP of this post? why would you not just use the instructions to the OP and make it work. I understand you will still need a specific cable but thats all you need.. Get the specific cable and then get the Techstream image and get it going. Not sure why you need OBD innovations or MHH or any other company to get Techsteam working. They just making money on a simple DIY.
Yes OBD Innovations sells the software individually or it comes with the cables they sell (which happens with many online). The versions they sell are slightly different than what comes with cables (e.g. most cables come with v12.24.xx) so if you want something more "updated" for newer vehicles you can get an updated version.

The VM that is supplied by the OP has v12 installed on the VM with WinXP, some people have issues trying to get the VM to work. So it is really just person preference. I was able to get the VM working but found it easier to just have installed directly on my machine vs. having to boot a VM to then boot software. Again, some people are able to get working on a dedicated machine (Win10 or not) and some just don't want to futz with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom