How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed with my '98 LC that I don't have a ton of settings that I can adjust, is that what others are seeing?

For example, I'd like to adjust my wiper delay and keyfob unlock settings, but it looks like they're not available. Is there a list of accessible settings for each year of vehicle?
Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface. One option:
- Mini VCI J2534 16Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable For Toyota Lexus TIS Tech Car Scanner | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265057592363 ($20, Ships Free)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
This might be the single most helpful post on the whole site. Thank you.

So @Acrad have u been able to install this version on the image or somehow got it to work on windows 10? and make it work with the Usb cable?

It would be great if you have the latest Techstream instead of v12 from the original img from the start of this thread. Thx
I can't remember if this will upgrade one of the "patched" versions but here is V15

I am curious if anyone with a '20+ GX 460 can find the adjustable turn signal flashes in their customizations. This would likely require a newer version of TS like V15.x. FSM claims adjustable 3-7 flashes but so far reports seem like option may be absent from North American market.

View attachment 2574068

Hello I'm trying to install techstream but the virtual box keeps giving me a error. I try to run tech stream and gives me a error.

Then in system it asks me to turn off hardware virtulaziation which I do but it doesn't let me save my changes. I've reinstall many times . Same thing keeps happening.

View attachment 2621341

View attachment 2621342

Hey, I'm not sure if you figured out the issue but I wanted to follow up in case someone else has the same problem. You'll need to go into your bios to change this setting (google your computer manufacturer and how to enter the bios).

The setting for mine was under "System Configuration" and called Virtualization Technology which I had to change from <Disabled> to <Enabled> and then I was able to Techstream as I had previously.

Virtualization Technology.jpg

Please help. I'd like to acquire one of these for working on my 08 TLC, but the reviews on Amazon are all over the place.

1. The ones with a white sticker and black lettering labelled "MINI-VCI J2534" seem to all be the same thing, sold under different brands, probably with different drivers.
2. Some people claim the drivers/software works fine, others claim they are DEFINITELY malware, some even claiming they attempt to login to your bank account.....it does seem pretty fishy that some require a Teamviewer login to install the software for you. This simply doesn't make any sense. It's a basic driver.
3. Some firmware versions seem to work better than others, with v1.4.1 being recommended, but possibly having trouble with Win 10 64.....while v2.0.x is newer and supposedly works with Win 10 64 and can program key fobs and TPMS, but isn't as compatible with some models (???)...mostly Lexus (again ????).

Can anyone help sort this out? The DIAGKING seems to get the best reviews overall, but even their software says you have to disable antivirus and firewall....this seems extremely shady. Also, the hardware itself appears to be no different from the cheaper $30 units with the same white label and black lettering.

Is it best to run this on a burner laptop with no access to any sensitive personal info or logins? Is there a specific model or seller or branded version anyone can recommend over others? Are they all effectively the same? Can firmware on a v1.4.1 be updated to 2.0 or 2.0.4? Thanks!

I've just started this process myself, have the cable but everything about this process seems too difficult. This stuff is all Chinese, so the quality is all over the board. The software reminds me of pirated stuff from long ago. I definitely wouldn't run this on anything that has access to sensitive information. I'm using an old laptop that has been wiped clean.

I've just started this process myself, have the cable but everything about this process seems too difficult. This stuff is all Chinese, so the quality is all over the board. The software reminds me of pirated stuff from long ago. I definitely wouldn't run this on anything that has access to sensitive information. I'm using an old laptop that has been wiped clean.
Don't make it more difficult than it is. Follow the steps in the first post exactly. Don't worry about drivers and BS for the cable. Just plug the cable in when the OP says. It's very easy to get to work, although you may have to enable Virtualization in your PC's BIOS, as shown above.

Tech Stream in 5-mins is no joke.

Don't make it more difficult than it is. Follow the steps in the first post exactly. Don't worry about drivers and BS for the cable. Just plug the cable in when the OP says. It's very easy to get to work, although you may have to enable Virtualization in your PC's BIOS, as shown above.

Tech Stream in 5-mins is no joke.

It's not the improper English and convoluted install process I'm worried about....more the shady "Disable your firewall and antivirus and let our team of bootleg software engineers remote takeover your PC from China to perform 'technical support'....then plug this thing into your vehicle computer." Like, any one of those things is shady as hell....taken as a whole, extremely shady.

Beyond that, there seriously seems to be compatibility issues with Win 10 on some versions (I'm guessing pretty much everyone is using Win 10) and compatibility issues with some vehicles. Also, the exact device in the OP is long sold out, so we're left to figure out if one of these many other devices (which APPEAR to be the same thing) are interchangeable.

Anyway, I think I'm going to use a burner laptop dedicated to this purpose, install Win 7 (not sure where to even get a copy these days) and give it a shot with one of the cheaper generic "MINI-VCI J2534" cables...and make sure I have a good return policy, cause nothing about this inspires confidence so far. Reviews are abysmal. I just hope my TLC doesn't end up a sentient drone for The People's Republic ;)

What I'm saying is buy what ever cable says will work, ignore any instructions that come with it, and follow the OP's instructions.

It works fine with Windows 10 once virtualization is enabled. You don't need the PC connected to the internet at all to use Tech Stream. Seriously, just follow the instructions in the OP and you'll be fine.

What I'm saying is buy what ever cable says will work, ignore any instructions that come with it, and follow the OP's instructions.

It works fine with Windows 10 once virtualization is enabled. You don't need the PC connected to the internet at all to use Tech Stream. Seriously, just follow the instructions in the OP and you'll be fine.
Okay, that's part of what I was trying to sort out. So you're saying

1. Any (or most?) of the "MINI-VCI J3524" labeled cables should work in place of the one in the OP.
2. The shady drivers/software provided by the company will NOT be needed and it should work fine only utilizing software in the OP.

Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, I'd feel a lot better about this process.

I can't say all the cables will work. I bought a cheap one that did not come with software.
Otherwise, yes, that was my experience.

So @Acrad have u been able to install this version on the image or somehow got it to work on windows 10? and make it work with the Usb cable?

It would be great if you have the latest Techstream instead of v12 from the original img from the start of this thread. Thx

I have not. My upgrade was on an old Win 10 laptop

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II / Mini-VCI interface. One option:
- Mini VCI J2534 16Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Cable For Toyota Lexus TIS Tech Car Scanner | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/265057592363 ($20, Ships Free)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Win.exe
- MacOS: https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Edit (02/28/21): Updated links to new versions of Virtualbox & new link to cheap Mini-VCI cable
This worked awesome for me, thanks!

I have a LX470 2000 (1999.10 Datecode), nothing shows up in the customize settings tab on Techstream V12.20.024 with virtualbox.

I've tried using 1999 and 2000, trying to turn off autolock that comes up in 20-30 seconds when I unlock via the transponder.

Anything I should look out for?

I have a LX470 2000 (1999.10 Datecode), nothing shows up in the customize settings tab on Techstream V12.20.024 with virtualbox.

I've tried using 1999 and 2000, trying to turn off autolock that comes up in 20-30 seconds when I unlock via the transponder.

Anything I should look out for?
I don't think any real customizations actually started showing up until 2002+ timeframe.
I know that my 1998 doesn't have ANY customizations whatsoever.

I was only able to change the customization for the telescoping motor.

I am still using an old XP laptop which I only kept for TechStream.
This might be the solution to get rid of it.

Will any cheap Mini-VCI J2534 cable work? Prices range from $30 to $60 on AMZN

Will any cheap Mini-VCI J2534 cable work? Prices range from $30 to $60 on AMZN
For the most part yes as long as they state they are compatible with TOYOTA/SCION/LEXUS (some state all some only state one).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom