How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone help? I have TS running on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.4 anyway it start up fine but won't connect to my 2007 GX... cable I got was the linked one on Amazon. Could it be that I have to run a USC A to C converter? Never had any issues before with it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 2.34.37 PM.png

I guess this techstream image it's ony gonna work for the US market right ..?

only land cruiser option it's 200 series with the 3UR ..

Can someone help? I have TS running on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.4 anyway it start up fine but won't connect to my 2007 GX... cable I got was the linked one on Amazon. Could it be that I have to run a USC A to C converter? Never had any issues before with it.

View attachment 1976421
I had the same exact problem and got no responses a few pages up. I emailed the seller of the cable and he said was a problem with my computer or TS. I ended up exchanging the cable, as I ran out of ideas, and it worked perfect.

TL;DR Just return the cable and get another one. Is likely faulty.

So for me I had my old MacBook Air with the standard USB ports on it. I installed TS on it plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Makes me wonder if the usb-c to usb-a adapters throw it off?

So for me I had my old MacBook Air with the standard USB ports on it. I installed TS on it plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Makes me wonder if the usb-c to usb-a adapters throw it off?

There is a setting in the virtual box that allows the virtual machine to recognize and support usb 3.0. I haven't received my cable yet and my MacBook Pro only has USB3.0 so we will see what happens...

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- Amazon product ASIN B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
Thanks for putting the work in on building the VM for this. What a great solution and great use of virtualization.
Set up was fast and easy for this existing virtualbox user. The MVCI in the current link works well for me so far as well. Thanks!

Wanted to send my thanks too. I accessed the VM and it worked well on my wifes throw away mac book. Now if only it could reset the ECU on my 2000 so i could reassign a new master....

Has anybody gotten this to work on a Linux host?
I'm running the latest Debian9, and VirtualBox 6.0

I downloaded the WindowsXP image, yet I am unable to get the USB cable to show up on the VirtualBox Settings page.
WindowsXP doesn't see it, I guess because VirtualBox itself doesn't see it.

Yet if I run "lsusb" on my linux machine, the cable does show up.
If I then search, I can see the cable listed in /dev/ttyUSB0

Any idea what I can do to fix this?
Thank you!

I don't have it with me, but I had to make myself a member of vboxusers group. It was Debian as well.

What does Techstream get you that an ODB2 tool like BlueDriver doesn't?

I've been trying to grab a mid-range laptop to run Techstream, but if you get the same stuff from BlueDriver, that's more cost effective.

Most interested in AHC pressures right now, but imagining many other diagnostic codes in my future.

Last edited:
Thanks @getco for making this so easy to setup and use.

I have am a former Audi/VW guy and have a VAG-COM HEX+CAN adapter that I use for those vehicles. I was curious to see if it would work with TechStream (but it didn't the drivers are completely different.) Using VAG-COM software it only reads the Toyota as a generic OBD2 device and I can pull basic codes and read a limited set of data. (a lit bit of data logging and plotting)

I was able to order the following cable and it worked out of the box for me. The usb diagnostic cable just worked in the VM image provided without having to install any additional drivers.
Amazon.com: Mini VCI Vehicle Detector for Toyota TIS J2534 Toyota Diagnostic line V13.00.022

@tjb There's some data I can read with a generic OBD2 tool, but Techstream makes it a lot easier as its purpose built for diagnosing Toyota/Lexus.

Reactions: tjb
I picked up a used 12-inch Macbook Retina (early 2015) with only a 1.1 GHz Intel Core M processor (but with 8GB RAM) - pretty much the bottom of the barrel for Mac performance for any machine since 2015. Using a USB C to A adapter, TechStream ran perfectly.

Specifics:

Thanks for the write up and the Virtualbox worked great. Regrettably you cannot program a master key using techstream for older model 100's. Mine is an 02. I would also point out that I used the xp box the W7 would not work for me.

Last edited:
I have a TPMS issue I'm trying to diagnosis on my '06 LX470.

I've tried connecting 3 different ways (1. Old XP laptop, 2. Win7, & 3.using the VM from the OP). TS "seems" to connect and work correctly using all three ways. But, all 3 ways also give me errors when I try and access "some" of the TPMS options.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Could this indicate an issue with the LX?

Many thanks!!
Skip

tpms2.jpg

Capture.JPG

Well I have read through the entire thread, I am not that tech-savvy, I would like to ask several questions for my own clarification if anyone can help.

1. If I understand correctly, you buy the Mini VCI cable but instead of using the included disc or software download, use the links in the original post to download the virtual machine and the copy of Techstream to run in it??

2. It seems that most of the cables referenced in this thread are no longer available at their links, but there are plenty of other cables available. I saw in the massive Definitive AHC thread (post #354) that someone recommended getting the 2.0.4 firmware cable, will that work with the setup in the first post?

3. Finally, I am going to have to buy a used or inexpensive new laptop to run this. What are the minimum requirements for the machine, memory, processor type and speed, etc? Explain it like you would to a 3-year-old.

Any help appreciated! Vehicle is a 2005 LX.

Thanks, namsag.

1. Yes.
2. I can't say for sure and will leave that to others. (I'm also interested in the answer.) I used this one, a 1.4.1.
3. I'm not sure of the minimum requirements, but here's my experience:

* A cheapo Hewlett Packard Stream with a 2.16 GHz Intel Celeron processor and 2GB RAM was *not* sufficient. It ran, but was not reliable, took forever to grab the data from the truck, and failed more often that not.

* I was successful with a run-of-the-mill Windows laptop from Rent A Center with a 2.5 GHz i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM.

* I did not want a Windows laptop, so I scavenged Craigslist for a 12-inch Macbook Retina (early 2015) with only a 1.1 GHz Intel Core M processor and 8GB RAM, which is pretty much the bottom of the barrel for Mac performance for any machine since 2015. The device in your question 1 requires a USB A adapter, and new MacBooks have USB C ports instead, so I purchased a USB C to A adapter and it worked well.

My guess is that RAM was more important than processor, which makes sense, because you need enough machine to comfortably run two machines, and they need to be loaded into RAM (for all practical purposes).

The good news is that the Techstream software in the first link runs on Windows XP, an old operating system that doesn't demand too much.

What you are doing here is running XP on your current machine, but in addition to the operating system you currently have (such as Windows 10 or Apple OS X), not instead of that operating system.

To do that, you create a "machine within a machine", known as a "virtual machine". That's what one of the software downloads, Virtual Box, does - allows you to create the virtual machine. The second software is all the stuff that the Virtual Box program needs to create a version of Windows XP that includes the TechStream software to run on that machine.

More detail than you asked for, but potentially helpful to others.

Last edited:
Great Work - Looking forward to testing this --- only have old V10 and was good fun to get working.....

Thank you tjb that does help. Heck I didn't even know there's more than one USB now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom