How-To: TechStream In 5 Minutes (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is awesome! I was paranoid I was missing something... but it's literally just plug and play

Checked AHC pressures (which were high), changed some lock settings and made it so the sunroof won't open and dump in a load of snow when my son plays with the keys (yes this happened).

Thx Getco

hello gents. What Techstream version or exact product from Amazon or Ebay will you recommend that works best for a 2006 LX470? thanks!

Subscribing here as I may need to use TS to check my AHC pressures.

hello gents. What Techstream version or exact product from Amazon or Ebay will you recommend that works best for a 2006 LX470? thanks!

Subscribing here as I may need to use TS to check my AHC pressures.

OEM, I ordered this cable which I believe was originally linked in post #1... There is now a different cable linked that looks the same... but mine works.

Amazon product ASIN B00W97K7O6
Then you just follow the steps in post #1... Install the VM etc. Getco pre-installed TechStream V. 12.20.024 in the VM.

This is a breeze, Getco even included a MVCI update and diagnostic tool in the VM to make sure the chip in the cable is working.

When I plugged it in for the first time, I had the feeling it was too good (or easy) to be true... I was wrong :)

CB

Thanks for this @CharBar this is noted and will update this thread asap. 🍻

Thanks to @bamabrock @krispykritter @CharBar for the link, read back from the first post on this thread and followed it. Now I was able to download it. Didn’t know the software/app was an emulator.

0949A3E7-A08E-4E08-8E23-4BF947FE35DB.jpeg

So I went ahead clicked this button inside the green rectangle and next screen was this (I am now inside the windowsXP emulator):

8DB66A63-BA4A-4D73-A2F5-816696917257.png

I then clicked on the “Techstream” icon and lead me to this screen:

C70BE1A2-A67A-460A-BF16-953153898608.jpeg

At this point I have no idea what am I doing LOL.

Any inputs are appreciated.
**I don’t have any miniVCI cables yet, I just tried launching the software and confirm if I did it wrong or right.

Getting Techstream up and running can be a bit of a pain. Hopefully this helps someone get started quickly.

Step 1: Purchase an OBD-II interface. One option:
- Amazon product ASIN B06XGB714M ($20, Prime)

Step 2: Download VirtualBox for Your Operating System:
- Windows: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-Win.exe
- MacOS: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/VirtualBox-5.2.4-119785-OSX.dmg

Step 3: Install VirtualBox Software You Just Downloaded
- Windows: Double-Click downloaded file
- MacOS: Double-Click downloaded file, run installer

Step 4: Download TechStream Image:
- MEGA (V2! Click to download)

Step 5: Double-Click downloaded file.

Connect & Enjoy.

:santa:

-g

Edit (4/8/18): I removed the more expensive cable, as I received a new Mini-VCI cable that works 100% at 1/4 the cost.
I followed #1 to #5 but I’m not sure if I got it right or do I have to do something else.

🍻

Last edited:
You've done everything correctly up to this point. You won't be able to proceed any further until you get a good cable and successfully connect to the vehicle.

I know I am stubborn. I used this virtual machine in VMware Workstation (because I use this for my other VM's).
It runs fine, but when I try to connect, it wouldn't connect to the car. The key is in position 2, cable is in USB port and in OBD port. The VIM selector is set to J2354.
What can I do wrong?

The only thing I can think of is that I have bought a wrong cable, but it has worked on another laptop with this cable and this car. It is a J2354 cable.

What can I do wrong?

Spitballing if you haven’t already considered: There may be an indicator in the VM software window’s status bar that tells you whether the USB device is recognized, and another in the Windows settings.

If it’s not showing up as connected, it’s possible the cable isn’t seated properly in the usb connector, that a software setting needs tweaked (either VMware or Windows), or that a driver might be required.

I also had connection issues when running a host machine without enough RAM.

As you see attached, the cable is recognised and connected.
Techstream is not connecting to the car. :(
I'll try other drivers (if I can find them...), but I think it's weird that I'm the only one who needs to do.
@ RAMmemory, I already have set it to 2GB, so I don't expect that either to

Edit > now I see I have a different J number in my cable. Do I simply have a wrong one?

20190711_195031.jpg
20190711_195102.jpg
20190711_195121.jpg
be the case.

20190711_195031.jpg

20190711_195102.jpg

20190711_195121.jpg

20190711_205858.jpg

EDIT: Problem solved. I really do not know what caused the issue. Didn't touch drivers or whatever.

Last edited:
Update:

I just got the cable today gents. Do I have to install the driver (mini cd) that came with the cable?

This is the actual cable:
FE0A5019-49CB-4841-9EB2-331DCAFDD817.jpeg

Thanks!

You shouldn’t need anything on the disc if you use the two downloads in the first post.

You shouldn’t need anything on the disc if you use the two downloads in the first post.
Got it. Should the engine be running if I was to run the techstream? Thanks!

It depends on what you’re planning to do. Just to read codes, no. I’m not sure, but I think the ignition has to be in the “on” position at least.

TechStream won't work with the vehicle off. The OBD2 port gets power when the accessory or engine is switched on.

Got it. Should the engine be running if I was to run the techstream? Thanks!

I have been taking all of my AHC readings with the engine running... I'm pretty sure you can also run techstream in ACC.

As noted in some of the AHC threads, you may have to cycle between N and L to get the pressures to show up.

FYI, several times with the VM techstream has all but frozen up... I just waited 10 minutes for it to unfreeze, then logged out and back in. Not crazy about the idea of pulling the OBD2 while TS is running.

Getco should really update the VM to have a sweet 100 series as the wall paper... low hangin fruit ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom