how to tear down front axel????????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well just like the tittle says i need to tear open my front axel to putin a detroit locker any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance .dan.

You didn't specify. Solid axle or IFS?

Keep pulling parts off till the diff comes out... :D

If it's a solid axle and isn't in need of a rebuild, do the Camo (???) method pull the felt wipers off of the inside of the knuckles, disconnect brake lines, pull the locking hub dial off and take the snap ring off of the axle end.... Then take the steering arms off and tip the whole wheel hub off.

sorry, its a solid axel in need of a rebild on one side.

There is a detailed write-up on a solid front axle rebuild in the FAQ. It helps to have the factory service manual.

I would rebuild both sides if I was going to tear into the axle. You can order the necessary parts from CDan or one of several vendors. I bought my rebuild kit last year from Marlin Crawler and also bought their heavy duty seals. They produce a high quality kit with bearings and everything equivalent to OEM.

There is a detailed write-up on a solid front axle rebuild in the FAQ. It helps to have the factory service manual.

I would rebuild both sides if I was going to tear into the axle. You can order the necessary parts from CDan or one of several vendors. I bought my rebuild kit last year from Marlin Crawler and also bought their heavy duty seals. They produce a high quality kit with bearings and everything equivalent to OEM.

X2.

The Marlin heavy duty seal is the only way to go, IMHO.

The rest of them are pretty similar to Toyotas (I've got a set of both next to each other in the shop). The bearings are simply in the blue box from the bearing manufacturer, while Toyota sells them in red boxes that say Toyota. Same parts though.

IIRC though, that CDan's price for the bearings is less than through Marlin, although Cruiser Outfitters might be pretty similar, and for the same stuff.

For my money, I'd replace the trunion bearings while you are in there. Just under $100 for the whole axle IIRC, and well worth it to have it drive straight and tight again.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom