How to ruin a perfectly good 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 3 year old told me he wanted us to "drive on bigger rocks" and I've never been more proud. So we got to work looking for a candidate and it didn't take long to find a fine specimen on Facebook marketplace. We loaded up for Nashville and brought home our new 97 LX450. He has now affectionally named it the Lexus Land Cruiser with no roof on...

Technically @Jeeper was the one to start the "ruining" but it won't be the last time this thing sees a cut off wheel or sledge hammer... In true legend fashion, Roger cut off the rear roof section section and rockers (in favor of boatsides). He also added factory lockers, front and rear bumpers, Warn M8000, suspension and 35s and deleted the flares. A great base for a build. Thanks again Roger!

***trigger alert*** this was a 1 owner, 180k mile, rust free southern truck that lived most of its life on a country club. sorry. ***/trigger alert***

Catching up on a few months here so will start with a few photos from the listing. More to follow!

1701314660934.png

1701314684769.png

1701314697312.png

1701314779693.png

1701314805605.png

Last edited:
I'm mostly shocked you found a rust free truck east of the Mississippi! Looks like a fun project, what's the plan to cap the truck when the rain comes?

Meh.

It's a Lexus.

Smart kid. lol
Really tho...this sort of thing is a "by-and-by" in AU so happy to see and follow one in the US.

And dam...being a GA native (tho not usually accustomed to reveal such) good to see some taste still exists in that God-forsaken armpit of an excuse for a geographic location. (even if I can't get decent sweet tea West of the Mississip)

To what are those sliders (they are sliders yes?) attached?

Looks like a fun project, what's the plan to cap the truck when the rain comes?

Ehh, small details. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Or wear rain jackets.

To what are those sliders (they are sliders yes?) attached?

Yeah "boatside" sliders attached to the body in place of the factory rocker panels. More room for activities.

Yeah "boatside" sliders attached to the body
Ok. 🤔
in place of the factory rocker panels.
Color me intrigued.
Alot going on there ... care to expand? Admit I've never heard of such a mod.

Do they legitimately work?
Can they uphold half the weight of the vehicle while say, lodged upon a rock? Such as a slider - attached to the frame - would do?

I ask because finding sliders for a '93 is quite the covfefee (kerfuffle) due to the cats.

I ask because finding sliders for a '93 is quite the covfefee (kerfuffle) due to the cats.

4x4Labs have quality sliders for the 93 & 94 with side by side cats. I had a set on my 94 and would highly recommend them.

Last edited:
4x4Labs have quality sliders for the 93 & 94 with side by side cats.
Guess I should have said, "...due to the cat".
There is only one with 2-in/1-out routing. Looks (and I'd swear that it is) factory tho many tell me it's not.
Would 4x4Labs still work?

I guess it depends on how the exhaust is fitted. The 93&94 had a cat on each downpipe then the output merged into a single pipe..the 95 -97 had a y-pipe with 2 cats in series. Sounds like yours is a DIY project.

I guess it depends on how the exhaust is fitted. The 93&94 had a cat on each downpipe then the output merged into a single pipe..the 95 -97 had a y-pipe with 2 cats in series. Sounds like yours is a DIY project.
Could be, though it doesn't look like it. 👍

Do they legitimately work?
Can they uphold half the weight of the vehicle while say, lodged upon a rock? Such as a slider - attached to the frame - would do?

Yes, they're 2x6" thick steel rocker replacements. I haven't personally had them on rocks yet but jacking it up from them doesn't budge anything. They're solid and not going anywhere.

Anyways, more build thread.

Of course it started raining as soon as I left from picking it up. Was able to fashion a makeshift tonneau cover that worked surprisingly well.

IMG_6493.jpeg

Obligatory Buc-ee's shots

IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6499.jpeg

Made it home without issue and in good company

IMG_6646.jpeg

Hey,
really nice find and great project for you together with your son.
What colour exactly you ordered for the Loncky steering wheel cover; if you don't mind me asking? That looks reasonably well match with the tan interior.

A few more historical updates to go.

I gave my buddy Matt at TKO Fabrication a bad sketch of my vision and he knocked it out of the park. While this is by no means a cage, it will help for an eventual soft top build and makes the chop look a little more intentional. Stoked on how it came out!

IMG_7208.jpeg

IMG_7559.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7562.jpeg

IMG_7565.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom