How much more effort is pulling the motor "While I'm in here..."? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm slowly going through my 83 after it sat for a decade+, replacing all the rubber I can find, and addressing issues as I find them. Doing a bit of a half-ass resto as I go.

I pretty much have the entire engine bay disassembled, with all of the accessories and fan/clutch/water-pump off, as well as the manifolds. The water pump was leaking and the manifold gasket was disintegrating, as well as I am doing a desmog and EFI conversion, so the dizzy is out to be shipped off for rebuild. I was chasing some rust under the radiator and condenser, so they're both out as well.

I plan on addressing things like the oil galley plug while I'm in here, but now I'm wondering while I have it this far down if I shouldn't just go ahead and pluck it out? I'm afraid I'd be stepping into a bear trap.

It has a pretty pronounced oil leak on the rear of the engine somewhere, and the original clutch feels a big spongy, so I'd be able to do things like FMS/RMS and the front and rear expansion plugs while I tossed a clutch and some new seals in. Also the edges of the head gasket look just as rough as the manifold gasket did, so I'd be tempted to do a head gasket while it was out.

fj60.jpg

You’re taking care of so much else already that you’ll kick yourself if you don’t do the RMS and clutch now too. Pulling the engine will make the galley plug much easier to fix as well.

If you have a hoist and engine stand already (or can borrow them) then you’re 6 bolts and a couple of clamps away from pulling it.

So I'm slowly going through my 83 after it sat for a decade+, replacing all the rubber I can find, and addressing issues as I find them. Doing a bit of a half-ass resto as I go.

I pretty much have the entire engine bay disassembled, with all of the accessories and fan/clutch/water-pump off, as well as the manifolds. The water pump was leaking and the manifold gasket was disintegrating, as well as I am doing a desmog and EFI conversion, so the dizzy is out to be shipped off for rebuild. I was chasing some rust under the radiator and condenser, so they're both out as well.

I plan on addressing things like the oil galley plug while I'm in here, but now I'm wondering while I have it this far down if I shouldn't just go ahead and pluck it out? I'm afraid I'd be stepping into a bear trap.

It has a pretty pronounced oil leak on the rear of the engine somewhere, and the original clutch feels a big spongy, so I'd be able to do things like FMS/RMS and the front and rear expansion plugs while I tossed a clutch and some new seals in. Also the edges of the head gasket look just as rough as the manifold gasket did, so I'd be tempted to do a head gasket while it was out.

View attachment 2605656
It seems you already have been caught in the bear trap... If your this far down, I would just go ahead and rip off the band-aid and do it all. I agree with @ntdb

Last edited:
It seems you already have been caught in the bear trap... If your this far down, I would just go ahead and rip off the band-aid and do it all. Like i agree with @ntdb
Hah! Definitely feels like I'm in the trap already?

Is it easier to pull the engine/tranny together? I'm working on the ground, but I have high lift jack stands that can get it about 2 feet off the ground.

With an engine hoist Ive heard it can be easier to do both at the same time, Ive only done both seperatly due to me not being able to make up my mind.

Everything needs to be replaced or repaired or rebuilt. Its up to you whether you can afford it or have the time and energy to do it.

With the list of repairs and parts.... and the cost of an EFI conversion, I think pulling the engine and putting something like a 5.3 in should at least be a consideration...

With the list of repairs and parts.... and the cost of an EFI conversion, I think pulling the engine and putting something like a 5.3 in should at least be a consideration...

While that is probably the rational decision, it is an all original truck with only 43k miles on it that has sentimental value to me.

And I've already bought most of the parts, and have stuff sent out for machining already like manifolds.

While that is probably the rational decision, it is an all original truck with only 43k miles on it that has sentimental value to me.

And I've already bought most of the parts, and have stuff sent out for machining already like manifolds.

With that in mind I’d say definitely pull it and give it TLC. Sentimental value + low miles = a gem in my eyes.

I'll fly to Arkansas and kick you in the head if you hack that truck up. :) Please keep this one original, it will only become better and better with age if you keep it original down to the bolts.
Hah! I have no plans to cut on it or radically modify it, but I do plan to build it a bit for the purpose of using it.

I grew up in it, and now that I have my own children, I want them to experience the outdoors in it as well.

I'm currently experimenting with eletrolytic rust removal from all the old fasteners, and possibly trying to re-plate some of it.

We don't have to put up with smog issues here so I'm carefully desmogging it, but I've been bagging/tagging everything and packing the parts away that come off. I'll be able to restore the truck nearly 100% should the urge ever strike.

I use an engine leveler along with the engine hoist, makes it really easy, especially on the re-install.

Many years ago, when I was parting out an '83 FJ40 in the street by my house, three of us pulled the 2F in less than one and a half hours, including a pizza lunch. We all knew what had to be done and each of us had our own tools.

Just go slow and lift slowly. It’s common and easy to miss a ground wire or linkage and if you lift slowly you can usually catch it before it gets damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom