How many previous or current LC owners here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my 100 a while back. Now I'm looking to get another, but with the wife's van in the garage, a 4Runner would fit much better. I've never owned a 4th Gen and wonder if I'll be happy with it. From what I see, I don't foresee any issues. I've got 2 kids, who will fit no problem in either. I don't do hardcore wheeling, and both should be plenty capable. Both are reliable. Just making sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks.

I went from an 80 Series to the GX 470 and have no regrets. Everything feels similar until you step on the gas and you actually move! I wouldn't even bother with a 4Runner the GX is an actual Land Cruiser with that build quality that you will be use to coming from a 100 Series. Not saying 4Runners are built bad just not up to the fit and finish of a Land Cruiser. In your case you will be use to the feel of the engine but you will feel much more nimble in the GX due to the couple inches cut here and their. These are the current Hot Toyota 4x4's hitting the aftermarket so get on board. Go drive both if you are dead set on a 4Runner and your gut will steer you from their. :cheers:

Yeah, these discussions are simple for me now: Go drive a 4R (4th and 5th gen) and a GX470 and a GX460. None are a bad choice. Take your family with you. You will know right away.

Still own my 80.

I do too until someone serious buys it! :p

So many lookie loos and people that back out, low ball,etc.

As of now, I have no plans on selling my 80. One tool doesn't work on all things so we MUST have many different vehicles!! My 80 is setup to do what it does well and the 4Runner will be setup for it's skill set. They're both fun to drive, that's for sure.

I went from a 2000 100 LC to the GX. There are many similarities between the two. The engine AWD system ATRAC are all very similar. The GX is smaller and a little lighter and no suspension torsion arms.

I went from a Tacoma to a Tundra to a Tacoma to an 80 to a 120 to another 120.

We have a GX and a 100 series, would prefer the GX hands down for everyday driving.

I just went from an 80 to a GX and I love it! Don't get me wrong in a perfect world I would have both but economics dictated otherwise. I got a real good price on the 80 so I jumped on it. I have a 2005 and love the power and the solid feel. I have yet to modify it to the level of my 80 but when I do I don't think I will miss it that bad.

I own an 80 and a GX and could not be happier. I was shopping for a 4Runner but in my market a similar V8 runner is actually more expensive than a GX and I think the Lexus is a much nicer vehicle. Our local Lexus service manager told me that the GX is the most reliable vehicle Lexus has sold to date. The 100's I have driven have a slightly smoother ride and tow better due to their longer, wider wheel base and I think they are a little quieter than the GX, other than that the GX compares nicely.

I have gone full circle a few times for different reasons so I have a good feel for what works best for my family.

Started with a 100 that I couldn't keep running right, then a 07 4 runner that never felt quite big enough and my wife felt like it was "tinny" like a light pickup. I really liked the 4runner and hindsight says we should have kept it. Then we went full blown suburbia and purchased a Sequoia for a year that we both quickly hated.

Now we have a GX470 that both my wife and I love. It is her daily driver and it is so nice that I'm not getting texts saying, "why is it making this noise, the steering is awful, there is a warning light on, etc." The thing just works. The GX470 seems to be a nice middle ground between the LC and a 4Runner.

My toy car is an 85 FJ60 that my son and I bounce around in on the weekends and it satisfies my car desires. Then my F150 also doubles as a kid/boat hauler. Can't say anything bad about it.

So, we have 3 vehicles that are 4x4 and we live in the middle of Dallas. It's stupid!

If I had my preference we would step up to a GX460 or a 200 series but I can't justify the additional $. The interior/exterior on both are attractive which means a lot in the mommy car pool line.

Love these trucks!

2010-2012 GX460s are in the mid 20s now...go for it!

I had a 1995 FZJ80 before the GX470.

• I had a '97 80 CE that I loved. I've been in my '06GXfor about 1 1/2 years and love it too. IMHO they are very similar vehicles. Like others have said, the big difference is when you step on the gas the gas

Last edited:
Still have my 80 ('92). 3FE - zero issues, thing climbs trails like nobody's business.

I bought the GX470 as a "do it all" vehicle...daily driver + weekend warrior. But I soon realized that I was more the 'dedicated wheeler' type of guy.

I have to travel a good 6-8hrs to get properly "off road", and the worry of breaking the Lexus and not being able to get home for work the next day pushed me towards another rig + trailer (I already had a tow vehicle).

To that end, I bought an FJ60...and the GX470 is now just a DD and occasional state forest cruiser.

My 60:
68--fj60-in-st-augustine.jpg

I've toyed with selling the GX470 recently...but I really enjoy driving it! It's my wife's turn for a new (used) vehicle...so she might make up my mind for me (haha).

- Brian

I have driven to UT, AR, MI, AL, TN, NC, SC, etc to wheel in my GX over the last 8 years. I just make sure I bring some spare CVs and tie rods and good to go. Never had an issue.

I have driven to UT, AR, MI, AL, TN, NC, SC, etc to wheel in my GX over the last 8 years. I just make sure I bring some spare CVs and tie rods and good to go. Never had an issue.

I know people do that without issue. I also know some people wheel them *hard* and drive it home all the time. However...

I'm just not wired that way.

I can't go wheelin' and have the fun I want to have...when in the back of my mind is: "I need to drive back to where we're staying, pack up the wife and kids, and drive home without issue".

Just my preference. I want my hobby to be 100% stress-free. I can't help but worry when I'm in my "nice truck" off road...so it takes away from my fun. That's all.

- Brian

Perfectly valid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom