How long can you hold a 2L at 3500RPM for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
So there's this steep hill going to my parents place, when I drive my 22R powered truck I can hold 50km/h but just barely. Although those engines will hold higher RPM all day and take it.

However when driving the 2L 4runner, I usually hold 30km/h in second gear at 2500RPM. EGT's hold around 800F. If I try to pull 3rd gear it will bog right the **** down (even though it's only 2100RPM) and s*** black out the back. Recently I've been getting impatient and just matting the pedal down in second just under the smoke (you can't floor it without rolling a stupid cloud) to the point where I can get up to 45km/h at around 3600RPM and 900F, I then ca go up to 3rd at the top of the hill and not have it completely fall on its face.

So I suppose I have 2 questions,

1) Can I reliably maintain that high of RPM for long hills or are these boat anchor engines really that fragile?

2) Is it normal for these engines to bog down at 2000RPM? I thought that was around peak torque? Maybe a timing issue?

I just have to make some intake air tubes then I can slap the turbo on, but until then I still need to drive this turd.

I have also found if I turn the fuel down, the first half of the pedal does **** all and I'm basically cruising at 75% throttle, the governor is so strong on this pump I have to floor it to get above 3500RPM. I have to plan my routes to avoid big hills that's how annoying it is.

I don't think the post-1988 2L and 3L are nearly as bad. I frequently run my hilux on the highway in 5th for hours at 3500 rpm.

I drove from Atlanta to Idaho (30 hour drive) and the whole time I had it floored in 4th or 5th gear. Going up very steep mountain roads I do the same exact thing on 3rd gear.

I think its totally normal to bog down at <2000 rpm. My truck is a '90 3L.

I'd say for as long as it's got oil pressure and isn't overheating.

If you're going up any kind of significant incline in a NA diesel, my advice is pick the lowest gear you can while keeping yourself below the redline. I've forgotten the RPMs I used to shift at in my 3L Hilux, but I can tell you in my 1HZ 80 series I'll be doing 105km/h in 3rd, just below redline. You can do that all day. Just as above, if your temps and oil pressure are good, you're fine. If you start to lose rpms, just keep that pedal mashed to the floor, and do a quick downshift right as your speed reaches the maximum for the next lowest gear. With the 3L Hilux, if I managed the revs right, I could go up just about any steep paved road in 3rd. If I got held up though and had to shift down to 2nd, I'd be stuck in it until the road levelled a bit. The 1HZ is a bit more forgiving, you can often get yourself out of 2nd and back to 3rd again on moderate inclines. I've never driven the 2L, but the 3L was basically just a bored out 2L. I imagine it'll be pretty unforgiving unless you keep those rpms high. Get into the habit of increasing your revs as you're about to hit an incline. You want to go into them reving high, as high as you can.

Reminds me of when a kid on my old folks farm, up the hill in the scrub some bikies use to have wild parties with hire 'ladies' and rev an engine at max until it blew up night. Down the hill we all could hear the engine roaring painful for quite some time, generally, until the inevitable bang and put put put and a big cheer then they turned the music up. My guess would be between 10 minutes , perhaps the longest was 45 minutes, but that was more than likely at past red line. The aim was to kill the engine. I definitely was too young and shy to venture closer...

However, diesels don't like being revved too high, too much. So whilst I would say too that you are probably ok with good oil pressure and not too hot, stressing engines does lower it's life span.

Momentum is good. I drive pretty slow and accept I have a car which is more a 2h tractor. If I wanted faster, maybe hdfte , something newer with direct injection and turbo.

If you're going up any kind of significant incline in a NA diesel, my advice is pick the lowest gear you can while keeping yourself below the redline. I've forgotten the RPMs I used to shift at in my 3L Hilux, but I can tell you in my 1HZ 80 series I'll be doing 105km/h in 3rd, just below redline. You can do that all day. Just as above, if your temps and oil pressure are good, you're fine. If you start to lose rpms, just keep that pedal mashed to the floor, and do a quick downshift right as your speed reaches the maximum for the next lowest gear. With the 3L Hilux, if I managed the revs right, I could go up just about any steep paved road in 3rd. If I got held up though and had to shift down to 2nd, I'd be stuck in it until the road levelled a bit. The 1HZ is a bit more forgiving, you can often get yourself out of 2nd and back to 3rd again on moderate inclines. I've never driven the 2L, but the 3L was basically just a bored out 2L. I imagine it'll be pretty unforgiving unless you keep those rpms high. Get into the habit of increasing your revs as you're about to hit an incline. You want to go into them reving high, as high as you can.
my first vehicle had an engine that sounded like death above 2500RPM so I've trained myself over the years to just never rev high. I guess I'll just have to unlearn that habbit.

I'd say for as long as it's got oil pressure and isn't overheating.
I agree,

watch oil pressure
coolant temp
automatic transmission temp

#1 is EGT watch those temps!!!!

Just a general thought: I would take engine speed over load (mostly high load means also high egt, high stress).
I usually drive mine at low rpm but more load, but under this uphill conditions, I try not to floor the pedal at low engine speed.

If you have a egt-meter, use this, usually higher engine speed goes along with a higher boost pressure and lower egt. For me this is less stress to the engine.

The 2L-engine has it's red line limit at 4000? I think 3500 is safe then. My OM34 (Mercedes) has "orange" line at 2800, red line at 3000 and sometimes I "need" to push it to 3200 :hillbilly:. But the mercedes community is sure, the engine will do 3000rpm forever, don't boost it too much :)

3L doesn't redline til 5K. If you have the post-1988 heads, don't hesitate to run 3500 rpm. You'll be fine.
20230525_115358.jpg

And as others have said, the 3L is a bored out version of the 2L. The 2L, 3L, and 5L are so similar that all three are covered under the same factory engine manual.

I only read the first post as I'm in a hurry. 2LT(E) by design is one of the best reving diesels Toyota ever made (square bore/stroke and IDI). Honestly they love to rev (lowers egts) and even return decent mpg there. I've had mine over 3000rpm for hours on end. Not sure I've held 3500rpm for that long, but I would not be concerned with it if I had no choice.

The rotating parts of these motors and the block are strong as heck. No worries there either. And you're right, its normal for them to only make power over 2000rpm.

Thats good to know. It is very smooth up high, much smoother then my 22r truck (although I've beat the thing up in the bush and it even totalled a Hyundai and sat at valve float until I noticed that was my engine and not theirs)
I find normal driving I shift around 2500-3000RPM and cruise around 1800RPM. After sorting all the issues since the rebuild, I'm actually exited to put the turbo on and have a nice daily again.

I know the LJ7x are quite a bit heavier then my 4Runner, how well does it do on the highway?

If everything is healthy it would probably do 1000 hours from new at that operating point.

If everything isn't then it's a sliding scale down to zero hours.

Planning a fishing trip on Sunday that takes me 20km up a mountain on a logging road so we’ll see how she does. If this engine can’t handle daily driving then it has no purpose being in my truck.

Planning a fishing trip on Sunday that takes me 20km up a mountain on a logging road so we’ll see how she does. If this engine can’t handle daily driving then it has no purpose being in my truck.
Toyota did kinda make their reputation handling daily driving. You'll be fine as long as the engine is healthy.

Toyota did kinda make their reputation handling daily driving. You'll be fine as long as the engine is healthy.
Hopefully. The last time I took it up a steep hill started slowing down and puking black smoke out the back so I had to slam it into second and floor it going 40km/h with an angry trail of cars behind me.

This is how hills are for me. In Kelowna people will tailgate you and run you off the road if you aren’t constantly going 10 over the limit.

Hopefully. The last time I took it up a steep hill started slowing down and puking black smoke out the back so I had to slam it into second and floor it going 40km/h with an angry trail of cars behind me.
Welcome to an N/A diesel

What altitude are you running at? Stock they won't smoke black at sea-level but as you go up it'll get more.
What's your intake setup like? Filters clean? Any snorkles or other restrictions?

They aren't cures, but they can all help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom