How long can you hold a 2L at 3500RPM for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What altitude are you running at? Stock they won't smoke black at sea-level but as you go up it'll get more.
What's your intake setup like? Filters clean? Any snorkles or other restrictions?

They aren't cures, but they can all help.
400 metres above sea level. I just replaced the air filter last week. No snorkels or restrictions. I may just turn my fuel screw down a bit and see if that helps.

Another way to look at it is that we can worry what other people think too much, which is not a good way to live. We have roads like that and drivers which are aggressive, I say 'f' them, in hurry to get no where. When you go where no people are, it is totally stress free.

Your black smoke may be worth looking at fixing. If you like your car, not in a hurry and accept it's nuances (and fix-ability), don't worry about other drivers.
Or you need something newer to match society, which is lots of bucks for something as good.

Just got back. The trip up was misserable. I was barely holding second gear doing 25 km/h. After adjusting the timing to factory spec of 1.10mm the truck just feels worse, half of the throttle pedal does **** all, and if I want to even remotely accelerate, I get a big stupid cloud of black soot out the back. I held my foot to the floor and it got up to 3900RPM but I couldn't go any further it would just roll a bunch of coal.

1690147977268.png

People were passing me going 60 km/h

Pump seems rotated pretty far over, I've never had it that far but that's what the service manual wants I guess.

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

and my max throttle stop is screwed pretty much all the way in

I may back the static timing off like 5 degrees and turn the main fuel screw up a bit so maybe I get some pedal response back

I know the LJ7x are quite a bit heavier then my 4Runner, how well does it do on the highway?

I just got back from a trip from Victoria BC to Midway BC and back (highway 3). In my LJ78 with 35x12.5R15 tires at 5500lb curb weight I could hold 80-90km/hr pulling up Anarchist from Osoyoos with 35C ambient temps. She got hot, but decent power. Running about 18psi.

So yeah, there's something wrong with the tuning of your truck. Not sure what to say, but you should be seeing a lot more power. Sounds like you have fuel, just need air and good timing for decent power. I never see smoke on mine except out of boost at very low rpm if I'm too heavy on the skinny.

I just got back from a trip from Victoria BC to Midway BC and back (highway 3). In my LJ78 with 35x12.5R15 tires at 5500lb curb weight I could hold 80-90km/hr pulling up Anarchist from Osoyoos with 35C ambient temps. She got hot, but decent power. Running about 18psi.

So yeah, there's something wrong with the tuning of your truck. Not sure what to say, but you should be seeing a lot more power. Sounds like you have fuel, just need air and good timing for decent power. I never see smoke on mine except out of boost at very low rpm if I'm too heavy on the skinny.
Remember though I haven’t installed my turbo yet. You should’ve stopped through Kelowna! Just kidding haha it’s too hot to do anything outside. I think I’m just gonna wait and see what it’s like with boost.

Remember though I haven’t installed my turbo yet. You should’ve stopped through Kelowna! Just kidding haha it’s too hot to do anything outside. I think I’m just gonna wait and see what it’s like with boost.

Dang, sorry, I thought for some reason you had done turbo already. I must be mixed up with someone else's thread. Turbo will make all the difference when you get there. So yeah, I guess your performance is about right then for normally aspirated.

I actually did come to Kelowna too, but in my parent's car. My dad is in re-hab there after having a stroke. Reason for my visit was to help out on the farm.

I have some black smoke (but not that much) running my Hilux around 2000 meters. I really notice smoke when at 3000 meters and above.

I am going to be putting a turbo on my 3L at some point. Having a bit of boost really helps with fuel economy, especially given my truck is always running 2000+ meters over sea level.

Granted, I'm not experiencing nearly the kind of sluggishness you are uphill. I can maintain 3rd gear up nearly anything and 50-60 km/hr. With 8 or 10 lbs of boost these engines come alive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom