Starting My "New" 2L-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My starting ambient temps are around 40-50F, and it's a LOT of smoke for 15 seconds then disappears almost instantly and idles smooth.

Restarting a warm engine is instant and smokeless.

I've run my 2L Hilux in temperatures down to around -25º C and from memory it has to be below about -10 or -15º C for the engine to cough on starting. For sure, in positive tempertures the engine should not be misfiring for 15 seconds.

My Hiux is 'cold weather spec' - so 12V twin batteries, super-glow system and fuel heater in the filter housing.

If I do a compression check using the glow plug ports, do I use a 12x1.25 adapter?

Last edited:
New Toyota plugs and surprisingly no real change with the cold weather start. It does fire quicker when in heated garage. Old plugs were pretty bad, one in particular.

I have now noticed the glow dash light does not come on at all. Changed bulbs so that’s not it. I think this could be related based on a quick review of the Toyota repair manual.
It referenced checking fuses and when I did I noticed a missing Ecu-b 10 amp fuse. Found a blown 10a fuse in the console. No clue if this is related. Will replace and see but chasing electronic bugs is beyond my skill set. Might be time to take to tech.

F25FE430-6B76-47D5-8A8E-918A695419C1.jpeg

EA33BEB0-FD5F-4F14-A5F9-70D4E2BBFB7C.jpeg

4EF340EA-3613-4AE7-9809-2AE9378B0CDB.jpeg

That glow plug looks absolutely fine.

No glow plug light on the dashboard is not good though. This is usually down to incorrect connections on the glow system (bus bar and resistor) from someone unfamiliar with the system. There should be a heavy duty 80A 'GLOW' fuse somewhere under the bonnet - check that it hasn't blown from shorting the glow terminal to the block.

I had this exact problem from incorrectly grounding my resistor onto the block. Double check everything is stacked up correctly on the plugs, plug bar, and resistor. My 80 amp was blown.

That being said the light will come on even with the 80 amp blown out.

Everything appears the be good to go on plugs and bar. Can someone give me some guidance and where the hell the 80 amp fuse is located? Despite looking diligently while 100% sober I cannot seem to find it.

80874E0C-848D-4F06-B6CC-9F0105D86C94.jpeg

Update: I think I figured out the smoky rough idle first 15 seconds...When it's been sitting for a few days or when cold, if I try to crank right after main relay kicks out I get the smoke and rough idle. If I turn key off the back on and wait for 20 seconds so the secondary relay runs it's full cycle (with 4.5v to the glow bus) then crank it starts right away, idles smooth, no smoke. So it seems it's been a glow plug issue all along, which is great news - now I don't have to dig into low compression or injector/pump issues.

Last edited:
However, waiting a half minute every time I need to start cold is a non-starter (pun intended) (even for me retired and not in a hurry).

So, I read through the Murphy Switch thread and decided to go that route.

Purchased four 11v Glow Plugs and a push-button switch. Wired one side of button to keyed 'run' 12v and the other side to the dash 'Pre Heat' light (I cut both harness wires and wired one side of the bulb harness to ground) and a second wire to the SuperGlow harness plug (that I unplugged from the module) by tapping into the wire on the #1 position (main glow relay) using a wire tap and not even cutting any wires. I left the glow bus resistor bar so it's getting 9.5v going to 11v plugs and although it needs a couple extra seconds to heat up it's a good way to regulate so plugs never overheat and burn out with prolonged heating (holding the push-button switch as long as you want).

Now to start: key to run, press push-button, count to 3 (when warm outside, 6 if it's cold) then crank. Engine starts immediately and idles smooth no smoke and I release the button after another 2 seconds. Dash light illuminates during glow heat. I use the same procedure on both of my Kubotas (there is a key position between run and start for pre-heat) and they have always started instantly and smokeless. Never going back to the funky SuperGlow. Plus it eliminates the only computer chip in the entire system and I'm now 100% old-school manual. And it's a theft deterrant for anyone thinking they'll get a quick start and quick get-away because they don't know the little black button left of steering wheel on lower dash is pre-heat and without it good luck getting a quick start.

11v Glow Plugs for 2L-T: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRH5QKDJ
Push Button: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZDW47Q

Last edited:
However, waiting a half minute every time I need to start cold is a non-starter (pun intended) (even for me retired and not in a hurry).

So, I read through the Murphy Switch thread and decided to go that route.

Purchased four 11v Glow Plugs and a push-button switch. Wired one side of button to keyed 'run' 12v and the other side to the dash 'Pre Heat' light (I cut both harness wires and wired one side of the bulb harness to ground) and a second wire to the SuperGlow harness plug (that I unplugged from the module) by tapping into the wire on the #1 position (main glow relay) using a wire tap and not even cutting any wires. I left the glow bus resistor bar so it's getting 9.5v going to 11v plugs and although it needs a couple extra seconds to heat up it's a good way to regulate so plugs never overheat and burn out with prolonged heating (holding the push-button switch as long as you want).

Now to start: key to run, press push-button, count to 3 (when warm outside, 6 if it's cold) then crank. Engine starts immediately and idles smooth no smoke and I release the button after another 2 seconds. Dash light illuminates during glow heat. I use the same procedure on both of my Kubotas (there is a key position between run and start for pre-heat) and they have always started instantly and smokeless. Never going back to the funky SuperGlow. Plus it eliminates the only computer chip in the entire system and I'm now 100% old-school manual. And it's a theft deterrant for anyone thinking they'll get a quick start and quick get-away because they don't know the little black button left of steering wheel on lower dash is pre-heat and without it good luck getting a quick start.

11v Glow Plugs for 2L-T: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRH5QKDJ
Push Button: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZDW47Q
this is the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom