How hrad is it to replace springs shackles and shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
My springs, shackels and shocks are tired. I can either replace them myself or pay an extra $700 for a hop to do it for me. With no experiance in this area, how hard is it? I am an engineer and have finished two basements.

Appreciate any goo and bad stories of the do it your selfer along with previous experiance.

Thanks,

Ken

Done all that, and I am a "shadetree" type mechanic. There are some tricks to getting things apart, and they will be here under "search", or you can ask if you have problems. Do it, man!

Easy, just takes some time if you have a limited shop. Air impact wrenchs will take off serious amounts of wrenching time on the u-bolts, most of the other bolts I would do by hand to prevent breaking them if you are not replacing them. Read one of the tech writeups about installing an SUA lift, you will be doing esentially the same thing only with non lift springs. (Unless you are doing a stock restore, I would consider 2.5" lift springs).
The only tool you might not have is a big torque wrench (needs to hit 100 ft lb's. If you need, I can give you a complete list of all the tools I needed. I also borrowed two hydraulic floor jacks and 2 pairs of jack stands, and had home depot cut me a 10 ft 6x6 into 1 foot lengths to stack under the jack stands and under the frame rails for safety. Soak all bolts for several weeks prior to installation with PB blaster. Let us know if you have any other questions.
This is not difficult, and $700 is much better spent elsewhere. Having a friend (even a non car saavy one) is very helpful. I had a friend helping me that didn't know what a lockwasher was and it still made some things easier.
Edit: Damnit Dave you beat me to it! Thats what happens when you are long winded :doh:

If $700 includes the springs and shocks, that's a good deal. If not, it's a terrible deal :).

I had a hell of a time replacing the springs and shocks in my fj60. They were original. My fj25 wasn't that bad as the PO had put in urethane bushings at some point. If the bushings aren't welded to the pins, you'll probably be OK.

I fa guy like me can do it.... you'll have no problem. Just get the right tools. Cruiserman is right though, if 700 is with springs and shocks, thats only 100 or less in labor. I'd pay that rather than spend 7-8 hours as a grease monkey - except for the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

You probably will hit at least one bolt/nut that all the impact wrenchin/penetrating oil in the world won't loosen. Get a propane torch from the hardware store and heat the bushing till red hot then loosen the bolt. This was the only way I could finish three different suspension installs. A couple of floor jacks is a big help too.

Do it yourself. It sucks, it is hard and dirty but well within your abilities if you ccan walk and chew gum at the same time.

Yep-It's a dirty job but easily doable. I did my 60 with an inexperienced friend in about 6 hours. The tip about using a torch to heat up the pins and soften the bushings is right on the money. Heat them until the rubber starts to smoke, then pound out the pins. It really helps to have 2 sets of jack-stands and a good floor jack. A friend to hand you stuff is good too. You will be under the rear of the truck alot so don't let it fall on you. Even the bare spring packs are heavy so be careful. I would also reccomend you replace all the pins and shackles with new greasable ones.

Dirty? Yes
Hardwork? Yes
Satisfying? Hell Yes
Difficult? Not really
If you have a real job you deal with less enjoyable things everyday.
If you have kids this will be like a vacation.
No really it's not bad. Search this sight first and you won't have any surprises. If you end up with questions you know where to go for answers. Hand tools, torch, penetrating oil, A friend, a case of your favorite beverage, you're in. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom