How far would you drive on a blown axle seal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully an easy question. Came out last week to find a puddle of gear oil under my '97. Peeked underneath and sure enough there was a trail of oil running down the inside of my passenger front tire. Looks like the axle seal gave up the ghost. I've ordered the full rebuild kit from Nitro, but I'd really prefer to do this job at work where I have access to lifts, tools and a parts washer. Problem is that's 40 miles away on the freeway. Since I'm going to do a full rebuild anyway, how much do I need to worry? What's the consensus?

Not to self-incriminate, but a couple years. :eek: Your 40 mile drive to the shop will be far less torture than what most of us have done.

Just be careful with the gear oil coating the brakes :doh:

On my old 91, it got to the point where I could barely stop :eek:

Unless the dust shield is missing, a knuckle leak shouldn't get on the brakes. When the passenger side leaks, have seen lube slung onto the exhaust, causing big smoke dramas.

Appreciate the feedback. Wasn't sure if I needed to worry about running the gears dry or something. When I rebuild the axles, I'll be installing new birds and regearing to 4.88, so I guess I really don't need to worry too much about damage.

I blew an axle seal half way through the Rubicon and drove another 2,100 miles home to Texas. Just kept an eye on the diff fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom