How do all of you start your fj60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Depending on temp. and the last time that it was driven.
Cold overnight - full choke, 2 to 3 pumps then turn the key. Slowly decrease choke once the idle is smooth, 5 - 10 sec.
Warm-hot start - no choke, petal to the floor and turn key. Once it has turned over, release pedal.

I believe these are the instructions per the owners manual.

Full choke plus 2-4 pumps of the pedal on cold days if the engine is warm no choke and pedal to the floor and then once it starts let off. I've never been stranded.

I've been having some difficult times starting my 85 fj60. The PO said to fully choke it and pump 4 times before cranking it over. I've been doing this for months now and it always either completely fails to start, or barely starts then dies. After it dies, I try again until it fires up.

Obviously that is annoying.... So yesterday...

I go out to try and start it in a different way. I have been trying different things anytime I don't have to be anywhere, just in case I flooded it. Back to yesterday, It was lower than 20 degrees, I simply pulled the choke fully out, gave it no gas, and it started better than my FI civic. I mean started right up after the first turn! What is up with that?

-Nick
thats how i start it as well full choke no gas starts it almost before the key is turned all the way sometines
then feather the gas up a to about 2000 rpms or higher then push choke back in to half way
warm start like everyone else pedal all the way to the floor turn key release

If it's cold I pull the choke 100%, pump once, turn the key. It will fire and stumble (more or less depending on the temp) and I lightly pump the peddle untill it gets going. If it dies I stop to see if my neighbors are watching, predend to fiddle with the radio then try it again with out pumping as much.... After about 20 seconds I slowly work the choke in until I have a normal (slow) idle.

If it's warm it will fire and run perfect.

Last winter it seemed to start much easier: full choke, one pump and it was golden.

I'm stuck on the number 62 for some reason. I should have said FJ60 in my post above...

Choke all the way out, no pedal, crank once, starts, sputters then dies. Crank again, vroom, choke 1/2, then one click out, then no choke at all and drive away.

It was 9 below last week and she fired right up. I only had to wait for the PS pump to stop growling and the gear oil to thin out to take off.

Hodag

I have absolutely no problems starting my 2f.

When cold:

Option 1 choke, and crank it up!(always fires up within one or two seconds of cranking)

Option 2 crank it up without the choke.(fires up within 3 or 4 seconds of cranking)

When hot: No choke, turns on almost instantly(faster than dad's new jeep)

Block heater

I live in the CO rockies and its been really cold this year. The PO had a block heater installed and if its below about 10 and I don't have it plugged in then I'm not going anywhere for a while...

after that: full choke, two pumps, crank... reduce to half choke after 5-10 seconds... go inside and make a cup of coffee.

The PO just about had a cow when I tried to start the 60 when I was looking at it (the only choke I was familiar with was a tractor when I was a kid, and lawnmowers). He said to pull the choke out all the way and start it.

That is what I do almost everytime and it starts everytime. I will leave the choke in or pull it out a smidge when it is still warm from driving, but I have rarely gassed it.

choke all the way out pray a little, crank for a few seconds, talk sweetly to her crank it some more, stop and wait a few more seconds talk sweet but a lil dirty to her then she will come to life when cold and sat over night.

Mine starts very similar to what others have described when only sitting overnight. If it sits more than a few days, it seems the fuel drains out of the carb and then it takes several revolutions and major pumping to get the fuel flowing again. The carb was recently rebuilt so I can't understand why the fuel would be going anywhere. Evaporation?

I never have a problem starting my truck, except this morning of course, I could have used a little help to push it out of the garage so that I could jump it with the Ford. Oh well, I hadn't started it in a week and it is really cold here, and didn't really want to drive it in the salt anyway.

The rest of the time 75% choke 1 pump, 50% on the pedal to crank. For hot starts mash the pedal to the floor and she lights up.

Mine wouldn't start this morning. About 12 degrees. I didn't drive it all weekend. No amount of pumping would start it. Not sure why.

Even at -15 degrees I pump it 4-5 times, crank it 4-5 times while feathering the gas and it sputters to a start (kinda like me). My choke cable is broken, but with a good tune up and a strong Optima battery, it works.

Choke out all the way, crank it, fires up... after a bit 1/2 way out choke... after a bit longer choke in all the way... purrs like a kitty cat.

How long do you let it sit after you've flooded it?

:whoops:
Chad

After flooding, I have always taken the air cleaner off, and let it breathe a bit... less than 15 minutes, then it is good again.

I cleaned the carb, and now it starts more regularly, I only have to use the choke about 15 secs now instead of 15 mins. I also performed the "Oklahoma" or "$1.98" Tune- up, whatever helped it, I'm glad.

Northeast Stok 2f with full emmissions and Jim C carb:

First Start of the day:
WInter - 10 Pumps, full choke and starts everytime
Summer - 5 pumps, part choke and starts everytime

After it's warm:
Winter /Summer - maybe 1 pump (though that's not really necessary), starts everytime.

Only Note on this is if the truck has sat for more than a coulple of weeks, the carbs dry and it takes a few cranks to get the fuel running around again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom