How deep is too deep - found out the hard way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beaufort-fj60 said:
you got a pic of a welded ac housing?

There is a thread some where here... I've done quite a few of them here in town. Alot of times I use the old air cleaner intakes from the FJ40's, and weld them to the housing, ditching all the hot air tube system completely.

The line from the left of the AC housing goes down to the dizzy. The gearbox's/axles go to the snorkel and I still need to get around to plumbing the ARB compressor to the snorkel. My compressor is ~4' off the ground and took on water once, trashed the pump. What are the odds it would cycles during the couple minutes I was in the water... :D

attachment.php

I had one of these experiences - in the middle of town even.

A coworker and I were on our way to our employer's other building when he suggested I take a new "short cut" he had recently discovered. It was a dirt road through the middle of a crappy industrial area. It rains a lot here in the winter and the road was rutted mud. I wasn't worried and cruised on through at about 20 MPH. After a moment we discovered a giant water hole that he had somehow not noticed before. No stopping in mud so I just went for it.

Douche!!!!! I had mud on the windshield and half way back on the roof. Didn't stall. In fact we made it right on time. On the return trip I started noticing issues. The old Goat would hardly run. It took me a couple of weeks to figure it out. It didn't suck water through the intake. I was stumped. On a hunch I took off the dizzy cap and sure enough, full of water. The seal had broken and it sucked in water. Easy fix, but what a PITA.

To tie into the previous discussion, I have removed the intake hose to the front for my second battery tray. Had the hose been in place the Goat would have sucked for sure.

cruiseroutfit said:
There is a thread some where here... I've done quite a few of them here in town. Alot of times I use the old air cleaner intakes from the FJ40's, and weld them to the housing, ditching all the hot air tube system completely.

The line from the left of the AC housing goes down to the dizzy. The gearbox's/axles go to the snorkel and I still need to get around to plumbing the ARB compressor to the snorkel. My compressor is ~4' off the ground and took on water once, trashed the pump. What are the odds it would cycles during the couple minutes I was in the water... :D

attachment.php

ohh, for some reason i thought you were talking about welding a box around the a/c stuff inside the cab.

i used plugs for the hot air stuff, rubber bung with a bolt, nut, and two washers.
plug.JPG

Mace said:
Snorkle worked great huh ;)

it must !!! coz my engines is diesel .. it not gonna stop without any heavy breakage ..

The story .. some drinks, nice trip with friends, we need to cross the river. I walk the right way to cross teh river, no more than 4 feets deep. Again some drinks and I take the wrong way :grinpimp: fortunately, some buddyes winchme back and no more problmes than my camera and my bag in the water ( the water inside my Cruiser over my passenger sit :D ) my engine running hole time ..

I see some humidity in my air box, maybe after 20 min inder water .. I thought is fine ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom