2f intake manifold: how bad is too bad? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing the 3fe exhaust mod and I'm not sure my existing intake manifold is going to work out. It's not cracked, but you can see the eroded aluminum. Is this okay? I'm not looking for a ported intake, but will this be a future problem?

As I guessed it's not completely flat. It's off by 0.020.
20231119_145612.jpg
20231119_150244.jpg

It doesn’t matter how yucky the inside looks, so long as there isn’t a crack (usually found directly under the carburetor).
All 2F intake manifolds are warped by now if they’ve never been machined flat at some point.
Personally- I wouldn’t mess around. You’ve got the manifold off — machine that sucker flat! You’ll be glad you did.

That 'erosion' looks more like a casting artifact - Either way it's not an issue. As for the flatness, look in the FSM to see what the tolerance is.

When you mount up the intake and exhaust use a Reflex gasket. I did this mod 7 years and ca. 150,000 miles ago and my setup remains leak free.
Cool, thanks. I notice that there's some additional bolt/stud reliefs on the 3fe exhaust manifolds that the 2f exhaust manifold doesn't have. I guess the extra studs/bolts aren't necessary when mounting these to the 2f?

Cool, thanks. I notice that there's some additional bolt/stud reliefs on the 3fe exhaust manifolds that the 2f exhaust manifold doesn't have. I guess the extra studs/bolts aren't necessary when mounting these to the 2f?

Yes, just use the 2F studs and bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom