It was a perfect day for 4 wheeling this past Saturday. My wife’s uncle and cousin were in town from Wisconsin and my wife’s brother came down from Phoenix. I decided to take our out of state family and my brother-in-law into the Santa Rita’s southeast of Tucson. The roads were pretty fair despite all of the summer rains we have had. The rains have made the desert more green than it has been in years. We drove from the west to Helvetia, up Lopez Pass, back down the east side, back up to Gunsight Pass, and over to Narragansett Mine to check things out and enjoy the view. Then back down on the east side to rediscover some old ATV hills and turns, which was a lot of fun. But then there was this water hole near by that at first looked uninteresting. There was another party that we had seen earlier that day that had just caught up with us again. The dad, Terry, of the party called out to me, you can make it, it’s not that deep! Yah right. I said under my breath. He said he was trying to talk his son into crossing it. So I decided to take a stab at it, fairly close to the left side. It was maybe 18 inches deep on the deep side. Kind of fun, but not much of a challenge So I turned the land cruiser around and took another stab at it. My brother-in-law, who had the camera jumped out to catch it on video. He knows me well. This time I took a line a little closer to the center. The water was around 2 and a half feet deep. Okay, maybe a little deeper. Part of the wake washed up on the hood and then rolled off. The cruiser was pulling strong, and was had excellent traction. About two thirds the way through, though then engine started to loose power and then it died. We came to a stop pretty quickly. I tried to restart the engine, but it barely turned over. I looked out the window at the water then down at my feet, I did this a few times and then realized that we were going to get wet. Then I noticed the water trickling in under my door. I had the back seat passenger pull everything off of the floor onto the back seat, and then we all went top side. The two remaining passengers were able to make the leap from the front right corner of the hood to dry ground. I stayed on board. The party watching graciously agreed to pull the land cruiser out, with the vehicle that they had pulled all of their toys out with. They had to ride out a little ways to retrieve their truck, but were back in around 10 minutes. Mean time, I crawled back in to grab the tow strap. The water was about 3 inches deep inside on the left side, all the way back, but the right side was dry all the way back. I also popped the hood and was able to climb onto the bumper, which was just out of the water on the high side. I dropped the strap over the tow hook and tossed the other end to shore. Then raised the hood. The engine compartment was almost completely dry, except for the oil pan and below. The battery area, and ignition components all dry as a bone. The engine stall was quite puzzling to me at the time, as I had been many times with my dad in his 72 FJ55 through similar water with no problems. That was decades ago. The other party pulled up in a late model GM double cab duramax. Our two straps tied together made 45 feet. They were able to pull the land cruiser out without turning over a single piece of gravel. I opened the drivers side doors midway through the pull out. Spawned some deep belly laughter from, some observers, as gallons of murky water splashed to the ground. So once fully pulled out, we pulled the air cleaner cover and discovered water there. The air cleaner was soaked. Sigh. I discovered that the Toyota tool kit contained a spark plug wrench. I pulled all of the plugs and cranked the starter. All cylinders misted a little water out, but #6 supplied quite a shower. Sorry Josh. Some of the plugs clogged with wet black gook, so we blew them out with compressed air. We put everything back together and tried to start it. The fuel air mix was all wrong, and nothing happened until full choking, a few pumps of the gas and then holding the petal to the floor. A gallon or two of water pumped out the exhaust, and then she sounded pretty normal. We put everything else back together, loaded up and headed for home, cautiously. This whole ordeal only set us back an hour. The cruiser is at home now, parked. The carpets have all been removed and washed. I will be changing the oil from the engine, axles and tranny/transfer case tomorrow. I can think of plenty of things that could be damaged, piston, head, head gasket, rod, rod bearings. After you are all done railing on me, which is quite deserved, I’d like to hear if any of you have had similar experiences and what if any damage occurred.