Hose clamps & engineering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
This summer I'm planning a full cooling system refresh, including new hoses, hard lines where needed, new water pump and finally getting rid of the worthless worm gear style hose clamps that are on my 3FE (my own fault; they're what I used when I did hoses in 2008). Something interesting I noticed though is that for my 1/88 engine, the two lower radiator hoses are shown to use wire style hose clamps instead of the spring clamps that Toyota typically uses most other places. With the lower radiator hoses having to hold up to less pressure than the upper, what reasoning would Toyota have in using the wire style clamps instead of the spring clamps? Curious if anyone has any insight or theory as to why this would be the case.

From Wikipedia:

“Spring clamps are particularly suited for confined or otherwise awkward places where other clip types would require tightening tools applied from narrow and possibly inaccessible angles. This has made them particularly popular for applications such as automotive engine bays”

From Wikipedia:

“Spring clamps are particularly suited for confined or otherwise awkward places where other clip types would require tightening tools applied from narrow and possibly inaccessible angles. This has made them particularly popular for applications such as automotive engine bays”
Right, the spring clamps in my mind are far superior to the worm gear or wire style clamps. Wish I would've realized that back when I last did my coolant lines.

What I'm trying to figure out is why Toyota opted for the wire clamps on the lower radiator hoses when the spring clamps seem like they would've been a much better choice.

Right, the spring clamps in my mind are far superior to the worm gear or wire style clamps. Wish I would've realized that back when I last did my coolant lines.

What I'm trying to figure out is why Toyota opted for the wire clamps on the lower radiator hoses when the spring clamps seem like they would've been a much better choice.

You could also look at ABA clamps. All stainless steel. Worm style, but the groove do not get cut all the way through the band so they are smooth on the inside. They come in different widths too so you can get some nice, small ones for things like the 5/8" heater hoses. I used these everywhere when I did my 2H swap into an FJ60, and did not have a single leak after. The key, in my mind, is to use new hoses (that's obvious), but do NOT cinch them down too tight. I just snugged them up, and that was it. If using the proper hose, the fit of the hoses is almost enough to make the seal, the clamp is gravy.

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 09.05.10.png

You could also look at ABA clamps. All stainless steel. Worm style, but the groove do not get cut all the way through the band so they are smooth on the inside. They come in different widths too so you can get some nice, small ones for things like the 5/8" heater hoses. I used these everywhere when I did my 2H swap into an FJ60, and did not have a single leak after. The key, in my mind, is to use new hoses (that's obvious), but do NOT cinch them down too tight. I just snugged them up, and that was it. If using the proper hose, the fit of the hoses is almost enough to make the seal, the clamp is gravy.

View attachment 2969471
In the warmer months I'm pretty leak free, but the colder winter months I have leaks all over the place where I still have worm gear clamps, so I'll be going back to all OEM Toyota spring clamps.

Just gotta get a list together of sizes and quantities that I'll need, along with what hoses that are still available. Frankly I'm surprised no one has put together a full hose & clamp kit for the FJ62. @cruiseroutfit what do you think? 😁

In the warmer months I'm pretty leak free, but the colder winter months I have leaks all over the place where I still have worm gear clamps, so I'll be going back to all OEM Toyota spring clamps.

Just gotta get a list together of sizes and quantities that I'll need, along with what hoses that are still available. Frankly I'm surprised no one has put together a full hose & clamp kit for the FJ62. @cruiseroutfit what do you think? 😁

We have docs for full hose kits, clamps are a bit tougher as many superseded to non period correct but working on workarounds :D

We have docs for full hose kits, clamps are a bit tougher as many superseded to non period correct but working on workarounds :D

@GA Architect and i put together a list for his 40 many years ago ..........

maybe he will share ?

or keep it skunk-works like me :D

Kurt,
A few years ago I was replacing my radiator and all the hoses for my '77 FJ40. Here is a list of OEM clamps I put together, with Matts help:

wire hose clamps => constant tension band clamps
96112-10250 (ID=25) => 90467-21010 (lite gauge 90467-22004)
96112-10330 (ID=33) => 96134-52600
90460-49062 (ID=49) => 90466-41003 or 90466-A0026
96111-10500 (ID=50) => 90466-41003 or 90466-A0026
90460-58013 (ID=58) =>

Check out my post in this "THREAD" - See #16

1648950547074.png

Ultimately, the clamps I used were the AWAB stainless steel units found 'HERE'.

I'll be giving you guys a call for a water pump and hoses once I'm ready to tackle the job. Hopefully by then I'll have a good idea what all clamps are needed for a stock (as far as cooling and rear heater) FJ62 and can help you generate a parts list for the full job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom