Home Water Filtration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I anticipate that many here are on a well. Anyone utilizing a full-home filtration system? I have my eye on one of these Aquasana Rhino systems, but I don’t know anything on the topic. Overkill?

I have one of these in my MD house for probably 40 years.

Dirt simple. filters are readily available for lowes and other similar stores. The filter vary depending on what you have in your water.
I think your water is probably quite pure, maybe some sediment. No need to clean a lot of things that may never show up in your water.
Take the money you save and by a fridge for the garage. :rofl:

I anticipate that many here are on a well. Anyone utilizing a full-home filtration system? I have my eye on one of these Aquasana Rhino systems, but I don’t know anything on the topic. Overkill?

The first thing to do is to get your well water tested by an independent lab (not anyone who sells filters or water softeners). Here in Texas, many large-population counties have their own labs and do it. I had a neighboring county do mine (my county is relatively small), and the cost five years ago was $200 for a complete panel. You have to get a good fresh sample, then you want to take it in for testing right away (don't let it sit for days before your do). Besides the basic things you'll want to know like hardness, total dissolved solids, pH, etc., it will tell you what and how much of common elements and ions are in your water. Some labs may make you pay extra to analyze for bacteria and cysts, etc.

If you don't have any harmful bacteria, then you are probably wasting money on a UV light or other disinfection.

Groundwater varies tremendously from place to place to place, depending mostly on your aquifer. You may need different kinds of filters for different problems; there is not a one-size-fits-all solution, hence the need to get your well water tested.

Our well water tastes great, has no harmful bacteria, and no sediment, but is very hard and has high pH. We have a chelating filter to help that, but nothing else. In the house we are in the process of building, I may put a small water softener in only for the water heaters.

Second what @1911 mentions above. I’m in western Virginia and our well water has high iron and hard. We have a tank that gets out the iron and then A water softener. The well water that is u conditioned still has red in it sometimes, but inside the house it does not.

Get the water tested and go from there. The only reason to get the uv light is if your test shows organisms in it.

Sound advice! Home is at the infancy stage of being built; sounds like I’m jumping the gun in my quest of pragmatism. I’m trying to anticipate placement of one of these systems as some looks to take up considerable real estate.

For those that have something in place, where are you placing it? Garage? Utility room? Basement?

My water has everything except bacteria. Very high arsenic, iron, sulfur, etc. Every filtration system to make it drinkable I have tried has failed. Miserably.

I'm planning to give something unique a try- Charcoal / Biochar Water Treatment, Aqueous Solutions - https://www.aqsolutions.org/charcoal-biochar-water-treatment/

The theory behind it makes sense and I much prefer the implementation of naturally occurring materials to Phthalate filled polymer garbage that may be worse than what you're filtering out.

We have a water softener system in our house that can do a small hotel. Way overkill...but it works. We also have a separate water filter next to our kitchen faucet that filters the water. Tastes really good and well worth the money.

I’ve been in the water well business my whole life. I’ve seen a lot of great wells and the worst of them.
55949792-D034-4597-99FF-B60A12F3F98D.jpeg
9A2325AC-42E8-4C75-A23E-1D02CED5075F.jpeg
726D0E44-FF75-47EA-A126-70F1B672E400.jpeg
7AB00474-D5FE-43EC-BC1A-412CA9927D7A.jpeg
991931F4-3369-4FDD-BE9D-86A0312D11EE.jpeg

if the OP does end up with a whole water filter, be sure to get the kind that has a drain built into it for reverse flushing w/o a complete disassembly. Some even have built in timers for automatic back flushing the filter membrane.

Mine is located inside the utility room which is in the basement.

Thanks for the guidance all! My neighbor recently (a week or so ago) drilled his (325 ft). Has not had any testing done - hope to have ours in the queue in the upcoming weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom