Interpret this motor plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a piece of equipment with this 220v motor. I'm assuming this is 3phase but don't really understand the delta/YY thing. Am I going to be able to run this off a typical 3ph rotary converter?

s-l1600.png

I believe what you're looking at is a 2 speed 3 phase motor with a Delta winding configuration for one speed and a Wye winding configuration for the other. It will have two contactors if it works one direction and 4 contactors if it spins both ways.

It will work fine from RPC generated 3 phase. Not so much from a single VFD though. You would need two VFD's to run that motor from single phase.

Thanks, that makes sense. It is a 2 speed machine. The whole Delta/Wye thing is hard for me to wrap my brain around given no background in this kind of stuff. I'm still confused by the 220V and it looks like 50hz in Delta and 60hz in Wye?

I always thought 3ph was 3ph and that was it. I'm slowly learning that 3ph from the power company is different from 3ph converted from single phase. When I first moved to my new shop a neighbor said local elec coop asked him if wanted 3ph in his shop and it wasn't expensive. When I contacted them it was obvious they really didn't want to mess with it but guy came out told me I was probably looking at $20k minimum given 1/2mi from road, poles, transformer, etc. Some of that cost could be offset by usage but I wouldn't have enough to make much of a dent in it.

I think that means that you can choose from either Y or Delta (2 speeds) with either 50 or 60 Hz supply. And the last 2 give different speeds too. The columns on the left are for 50, RHS for 60. The numbers Left of the "/" are for Delta, Right for Y. They have 50 Hz because it's a german motor.

The 50/60hz is pretty standard motor stuff. The hz determines the rpm, so 50/60 gets xxxx/xxxx corresponding rpm.

I don't have much 2 speed motor experience, but I have a few machines with Wye start Delta run motors. As I understand it, using the Wye configuration gives an increase in torque and lowers starting current, then switching to Delta makes the motor more efficient at speed.

One of my larger manual machines has a 15HP spindle motor that is wye start, Delta run. When you're setting up the machine you jog the spindle a lot with a jog button that just runs the wye start contactor. I know from setting up the machine on a transformer and troubleshooting when I got it that the starting current is very low for a 15HP motor, like 20 amps. Another wye/delta machine I have is a Blanchard grinder. The Blanchard motor is 50HP @ 705 RPM and has surprised me how little current it takes to spool it up. It draws about 70 amps peak starting load. Some CNC's of mine with 35-80HP spindles are in the hundreds of amps 240V 3 phase during spindle acceleration. One of primary machines has a 35HP 10k rpm Cat50 spindle and when I first powered it up I couldn't run any other machines when it was running. The spindle parameters were set to accelerate from 0 to 10k in a few milliseconds. I changed the parameters to accelerate 10k rpm/.5 seconds and it only draws about 100 amps now which is fine.

Anyways, just rambling about some motor stuff I've found interesting over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom