Home made lx470 AHC over ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it was a marketing thing, can't charge $200 for a DPST switch
Have to also account for the time to figure it out, plus the potential liability that seeling it to the public creates. The price of an item isn’t just the actual cost. And yes, there is a marketing aspect of the price.

Have to also account for the time to figure it out, plus the potential liability that seeling it to the public creates. The price of an item isn’t just the actual cost. And yes, there is a marketing aspect of the price.
Subbed!

What would be the difference in premature wear issues with the CV axles or differential when riding with the AHC in high vs. LC torsion bars turned to the max? Both give about 2” in height.

What would be the difference in premature wear issues with the CV axles or differential when riding with the AHC in high vs. LC torsion bars turned to the max? Both give about 2” in height.
Probably no diff drop would increase wear. Other than that, it'd be about the same I'd imagine (which is still more wear than a stock LX/LC)

Well, decided to get out in the 101deg heat and
I've received a lot of questions about the switch, why are there 4 wires and how to splice so I figured it would be easier to just put a video together of the complete install of the AHC override. Hope this is helpful

Decided to get out in the 101 degree heat and tackle this project. Your video was a huge help. Figure it took me about 30-45 minutes. Test drive was a success, but it does get a bit squirelly at 70mph in High. I didn't install the switch because I'm not to worried about it ever automatically reverting at speed. If I do, I'll get back under the seat and add the switch.

Reactions: ls6

Decided to get out in the 101 degree heat and tackle this project. Your video was a huge help. Figure it took me about 30-45 minutes. Test drive was a success, but it does get a bit squirelly at 70mph in High. I didn't install the switch because I'm not to worried about it ever automatically reverting at speed. If I do, I'll get back under the seat and add the switch.
Just a note on this, running in low effectively removes the dampening capability of the suspension and is not safe.

Wild man, real question is how does she look? What size tire are you running?

Wild man, real question is how does she look? What size tire are you running?
285/75/16 KO2's. It looks great. Honestly, I'll rarely leave it in H, but having the option is key for me.

So I finally bought a 2005 LX470, really wanted a land cruiser but they are a lot more expensive. Anyway, I didn't want the AHC suspension but now that I have the LX I want a way to keep in in High if I want to. Researched and all I found was a Slee over ride switch which they no longer make. I kept researching and figured out that all I need to over ride the AHC is a simple double pole-single toggle switch. I am not an electrician or a mechanic I just like to figure stuff out. All you need to do is break the 2 circuits so the AHC does not receive vehicle speed on pin 4 and 17. I don't need a bright LED to tell me if the system is on or off. Anyway, I bought a $7 dollar switch and a few wire connectors and used some wire I had laying around. I followed the Slee over ride installation instructions and wired up the new switch. You only need to splice into the 2 wires on the 26 pin connected, do not need power since there is no LED to power up. Works great! Nice little mod for under $10. Try at your own risk but it works perfectly for me. One tip though, use a round switch it would have been a lot easier to drill a hole for the switch instead of cutting out a square. Enjoy!View attachment 2349108View attachment 2349109View attachment 2349110
Do you guys know if this hack will work on the 200 series ahc?

I've been a reader of ih8mud for a while and recently purchased the LX and felt like I had something worth sharing here
Very much worth sharing! I hope you caught the humor I intended with that post. 👍
Being the newer guy who makes such an informative post reminds me of those movies where the quiet, nerdy girl shows up on the first day of classes only to remove her glasses, let her hair down, and turn into a supermodel.

Very much worth sharing! I hope you caught the humor I intended with that post. 👍
Being the newer guy who makes such an informative post reminds me of those movies where the quiet, nerdy girl shows up on the first day of classes only to remove her glasses, let her hair down, and turn into a supermodel.
Haha, thanks!

Haha, thanks!
Any of you guys had problems with the AHC? I bought my LX last month and on the 2nd day I took it mudding and the AHC started blinking "off" and put me in low. Come to find out the left rear pressure line popped a leak and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. I had to buy a line from the dealer for $260 and it was a real pain in the ass to replace. Should I be looked to delete the AHC or is this issue not common?

Any of you guys had problems with the AHC? I bought my LX last month and on the 2nd day I took it mudding and the AHC started blinking "off" and put me in low. Come to find out the left rear pressure line popped a leak and all the hydraulic fluid leaked out. I had to buy a line from the dealer for $260 and it was a real pain in the ass to replace. Should I be looking to delete the AHC or is this issue uncommon?
The LX only has 145k

Last edited:
Pretty uncommon from what I've seen around here, though heavy rust can get to the lines eventually. Most issues are with poor ride from out-of-spec pressures and the globes slowly reaching the end of their lifespan.

Pretty uncommon from what I've seen around here, though heavy rust can get to the lines eventually. Most issues are with poor ride from out-of-spec pressures and the globes slowly reaching the end of their lifespan.
Agree with this. They hard lines can last for decades unless corrosion gets a hold of them. If the entire system is rusted or has potential for break-through leaks then it could be a consideration, but personally I like to preserve the AHC as it's really useful for many driving situations and I love mine.

So doing this mod and then driving cross country on LOW mode to save fuel is not advised?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom