HJ61 12HT overheating issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all - I'm still relatively new to the cruiser world, but my JDM HJ61 has recently started overheating - well really, running on the warm side, which is a new occurrence -- and one that I'd like to stop. I've done my damndest to figure out what's going on (using the search function on MUD) but I'd like to run some ideas past those far more experienced and knowledgeable than I. It is also my DD and only vehicle, so she can't be out of commission for more than a weekend if at all possible.

some quick facts:
  • 180k km on the engine with no reason to believe that's incorrect or misrepresented.
  • full radiator flush performed with Toyota factory coolant (after overheating issue began)
  • no loss of coolant
  • no oil consumption
  • radiator seems to be in good condition

For the first month of ownership, I never saw the water temp gauge go past juuust above the lower end of the center marks (green line in the image below). About a month in (and interestingly enough, right after I changed the oil - so not sure if there's any correlation there) I noticed that under load, temps would slowly increase under heavier load. Not towing or anything, just highway speeds going up big steep hills in CO.

The more time has passed, the easier/quicker this seems to happen. I know the factory temp gauge is notoriously unreliable, and I don't currently have the $$$ to put in anything more accurate. Long term plan is to fit an EGT gauge and digital readout water temp gauge, but I'm broke as a joke at the moment due to some unexpected expenses, and having to move due to some really s***ty roommates and a dishonest landlord.

When I first noticed the issue happening, I did a full (like 6-stage flush) with distilled water, and then refilled with OEM Toyota Red Coolant diluted to 50% w/ distilled water. There doesn't seem to be any bubbling or leaking or air bubbles in the system -- I burped it pretty well. The coolant that came out was pretty nasty, definitely some rust and dirt in there for the first couple passes, but no larger chunks or anything, just your standard particles. Didn't seem like an absurd amount for a 30yo vehicle either, although I admit I have no real experience with what it should look like. Hoses seem to be in good shape, I doubt there's a blockage there, and definitely no leaks.

At the moment, the highest i've seen the factory gauge get is the top of the needle meeting the bottom of the middle marks on the temp gauge.

It runs 90% of the time dead in the middle of the two (still higher than it was when I got the truck - it basically always stayed exactly at the 'old high temp' mark in green.

I drove the cruiser most of the way up Guanella pass outside of Georgetown, CO last weekend, and temps didn't seem to get better/worse with altitude. I live at ~6000 ft, and probably drove as high as 9000-10000 ft.

Power does seem to decrease as the temp increases, but it may be a chicken-and-the-egg problem where temp increases cause the engine is working harder. Some days the hills seem easier, and some they seem harder. Temp increase is basically the same between 4th & 5th gear.

Not sure if it's relevant, but the oil pressure stays in between the two yellow marks in the image. It's higher when just started, and stays mostly at the lower when driving, although it increases back to near the top mark when the temp spikes.

IMG_4724.JPG

I'm planning on putting a new thermostat in, wondering if a water pump is a good idea as well?

Are there any other things I should check before I start spending money on new parts? When the pedal is to the floor, there is noticeably black smoke from the tailpipe - although it passed CO emissions no problem, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Fuel screw still has factory safety wire attached, so it is unlikely it's been messed with (I think?)

If water pump is a necessity, is it necessary to get the pump and housing, or is it better to just replace the actual pump? the FSM gives a rather intimidating procedure for seating the pump - It'd be worth a few extra $ to not have to worry about doing that wrong.

31bf21ec801a2528514fa5b611d7d2fd.image.200x170.jpg
or just
20726b0213da985f030ff1bebc82d0b2.image.200x263.JPG
?

is there anything else I'd need or should replace at the same time if I do the water pump? Any additional tests I should perform?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the long read - I'm trying to get all possible info in front of you to not waste any more of your time than necessary!

The water pump on the 12ht is really easy to change, and pretty cheap too, I think I picked up a brand new one off ebay for $50. Might also want to check the viscous fan clutch to make sure it's running properly. But honestly that temp looks pretty decent for the 12ht, especially if it's only getting that high when pushing up hill, does it come down fairly fast again? As for oil pressure, you'll need a mechanical gauge to properly check this engine, it's stupid low at idle (~4psi according to the manual). Oh and black smoke, does the turbo have an bleeder valve or other device to change the boost attached? It's probably still at stock, so 7psi, I found I had to turn mine up to about 10 to get rid of the black smoke. A catch can off the rocker cover also helped a lot for me.

I would start measuring with proper gauges ( never trust in those Mr. T indicators ) your water temp, boost, oil pressure and EGT's ..

Hey BR, if you remember, I'm the guy who has the Hj 61 up in Loveland. I've noticed my temperature gauge will rise to about the same place yours does when I'm headed uphill at elevation. I'm a guide in Rocky Mountain National Park in the summertime, and once I get above 10000 feet my HJ will heat up. It always comes back down. Another thing I've noticed is sometimes I will leak some radiator fluid out of that small top hose that sits right above the water pump housing. If you still have the original radiator, you might check it for dings and broken foils and stuff like that. I was having a problem with overheating, and when I checked the front of my radiator after a trip to Nebraska, I realized I had a ton of prarie grass chaff all lodged in the front of my radiator. Once I cleaned all of that out, she ran a lot cooler :) it might be time to look at a new radiator, or have yours re-cored. I think you're on the right trail though with the thermostat first. Start cheap and work your way up :)

Thanks for the advice @Greystroke. I wish 12HT parts came as cheaply over here in the states - I'm looking at $130 for the same thing, unfortunately. Not exactly money I can just throw away if that's not the problem (although a confirmed good water pump never hurts, I guess). Is the viscous fan clutch the one attached to the front of the water pump? (16210 on this diagram). The fan seems to run fine, although I've never pulled over immediately after the temp starts to rise to double check it. Did you change the whole housing, or just the pump itself when you did it?

Water Pump.png

As for the black smoke, I'm not concerned about that per se, but I've read that it can be a sign of over-fueling which can drive temps up? I kind of doubt this though, as I'm getting an absolutely consistent 25MPG pretty much no matter how I drive.

Some days the temp comes down pretty quickly, others it'll linger for the rest of the drive. Strangely enough, driving under no to moderate load doesn't seem to have much of an effect on how quick the temp comes down. From what I can tell, ambient temp has very little to do with it as well. Same water temp on 30F days as 75F days. The thing that worries me is that this is a new problem (on the same roads), and the temp seems to come down slower and slower the longer it's been since I first noticed the temp issue.

@Tapage I'd love to throw new gauges in, but money is the limiting factor at the moment. In a few months I'm planning on installing a solar converter and moving to 12V gauges throughout the cabin. Planning on EGT, Boost, Tach, Speedo (It'll be nice to be back to MPH), Water temp & Oil Pressure. I'd be fabbing a new gauge cluster & maybe whole top dash, so it's a while out still :) EDIT: add dual battery monitor to that list

@UncleSaj, thanks for the feedback. I haven't noticed any fluid leaks coming from that top hose, but I'll be on the lookout for it for sure. The rad looks pretty clean, but I'll pull the grille off and double-check the front to look for bent fins etc. I'm 90% sure it's the original unit, so there could definitely be some blockage or at least flow restriction as it's 30 years old now. I'd love to throw a trick new radiator in, but as I mentioned, I'm short on cash right now :/. I love climbing in the park - we should get out for some multipitch fun sometime - I need to start getting some serious mileage in - Pervertical Sanctuary is the end goal for this season, and I'm a long way off at the moment :p The other thing that worries me is that I made the drive to Crested Butte (65+ mph up some nasty hills) before this started happening with the temps rock solid at the lower limit I mentioned before. As @Tapage mentioned though, it's hard to trust the stock gauges so maybe it was just malfunctioning before and is working fine now - who knows.

Anyone else have any experience with where temps should/do usually sit on these motors? I know @DanS HJ-45 is in Idaho springs. Any insight? Should I be concerned at all with how these trends are going?

Broke as I am, a new water pump, a radiator and some new hoses are a hell of a lot cheaper than rebuilding a motor that's been destroyed by not doing these things when the writing was on the wall.

I may H8MUD, but I <3 H8MUD users. Thanks SO MUCH everyone!

Last edited:
Changing a 12H-T Water Pump.

I'm in the process of doing a 12H-T water pump change. After removing the original part with under 100k miles on the clock, I

discovered it was bearing failure.

I am going to run a authentic Aisin water pump in Lieu of the Plethora

of aftermarket water pumps on eBay. The cost may be more by 2x but a damaged 12H-T isn't something I am willing to risk on

regard of a water pump. As stated above, the water pump swap is not impossible to do. In fact I am not pulling the radiator or shroud

for access. Unbolt the four bolts for the fan clutch and move the fan to the side. Guide the pulleys off of the water pump studs, than remove the

5 bolts for the pump. The new Aisin water pump came with a new gasket. While I have the pump out I'm running all new Toyota belts as a

preventative service in advance. I'll stash the original belts as trail spares. Pics of my swap out below. I was going to make a stand alone thread on

changing the water pump. After I do, I will put a link in this post. Also, I did a swap to a all metal FJ62 Radiator with a custom crossover return

hose from the thermostat housing. I daily drive this rig 80 miles round trip 5 days a week with a 15 mile long ascent up the huge Cajon pass. The

temperature never exceeds 1/3. I have been running the Cruiser like this for 6 months now, including a "1200 mile Ring of Fire" tour through the

Southwest. I will consider it a success.

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

I only changed the pump itself when I did mine. Keep an eye out for 2H water pumps too, they are exactly the same. If it's the original radiator, you'll probably find it's pretty clogged. Especially if you changed green for red coolant, only takes a tiny bit of the other kind to mix and start blocking things up. If you're handy with a blowtorch and have a few large clamps you can fairly simply clean it yourself (the oil dipstick is perfect for coring radiators, it fits exactly down each core and is the perfect length).

I only changed the pump itself when I did mine. Keep an eye out for 2H water pumps too, they are exactly the same. If it's the original radiator, you'll probably find it's pretty clogged. Especially if you changed green for red coolant, only takes a tiny bit of the other kind to mix and start blocking things up. If you're handy with a blowtorch and have a few large clamps you can fairly simply clean it yourself (the oil dipstick is perfect for coring radiators, it fits exactly down each core and is the perfect length).

This is true, I run green conventional coolant. And your original radiator should be removed and taken to an old school radiator shop to be dipped, flushed, and flow tested. My original radiator was done, a OEM replacement radiator was too far out for waiting with the daily driver off the road. Hence grabbing the FJ62 Radiator I already had in my parts stash, taking it to be flow tested- it passed and got installed with the custom return hose.

@SoCal FZJ80 and @Greystroke Thank you for the information! It's looking more and more like I'm going to just go ahead and replace the whole system. At least my credit card company will be happy...

Seems like the prevailing wisdom is to get the stock unit (if it is indeed stock -- I need to check) re-cored with 4-row brass? And go ahead and do belts & hoses while I'm at it.

On that note, anyone have a quality radiator guy they use in the Denver area?

...Peace of mind ain't cheap!

IMO, i would not start throwing money on parts before i knew what the exact water temp was, at its hottest.
Those original gauges are far from trustworthy. Get yourself a proper temp gauge and post the results back.
Then, if the engine actually runs HOT, we can start looking for options what to do. I mean, find the culprit first.
Don't go ahead with things and "waste" money on something unnecessary, like whole new cooling system. :eek:

:cheers:

Getting together a parts list, thought I'd post it for future reference, and make sure I'm not pointlessly replacing things that shouldn't need replacing. Also making sure I'm not missing anything crucial. to @HoJo 61 's point, I'm not totally sure whether I'll do this yet, but since I was already down the rabbit hole, it seemed worth posting. Plus, unlike a sticky note, I'll actually be able to find this if/when the time comes.

Generally my outlook on replacing old parts is replace the entire system if possible - tackle the entire issue at once and make sure everything's 100% so you don't have to do the work twice. or thrice. or...fource? ;)

Definite needs:
1x - Water Pump - 16120-69015 - actual toyota part is $180, Aisin is $65 - any reason to buy the toyo over the aisin? afaik they're the same, why the markup? There's also this one, listed as the assembly, which might have a few more parts with it? Any advice on which to buy?
1x - Water Pump Gasket - 16271-68010 - $8
1x - Rad Outlet Hose - 16572-68010 - $35
1x - Rad Inlet Hose - 16571-68010 - $30
1x - Thermostat - 90916-03059 - $30
1x - Water Outlet Gasket (thermostat gasket)- 16341-68010 - $4

Questionable needs:
1x - Water By-Pass Hose - 99555-40090 - $4
Any advantage to going with genuine Toyo clamps vs. generic hose clamps? (PO had replaced most hose clamps w/ generic)
2x - 96111-10330 - $3 each (water by-pass hose clamp)
1x - 96111-10560 - $3 (outlet hose clamp)
2x - 90467-42001 - $5 each (inlet hose clamps)
1x - 96111-10510 - $3 (outlet hose clamp)

Almost Definitely Not needs:

1x - Water Outlet Housing - 16333-68010 - $50
1x - Water Outlet - 16331-68011 - $55
1x - Water Outlet Housing Gasket - $2.50

I'd change the bypass hose if I was in there. Any good quality hose clamp will do fine.

Is the cooling system difficult/slow to fill?

Also, when they get hot, the gauge will be well above half way...not half way. I can't see a cooling issue from your description.

As a point of reference, (and possibly totally irrelevant) last Nov I drove my hj61 on a 5000km round trip - with the ambient temps up to about 42 degrees Celsius. The car was fully loaded up (not towing). Previous to the trip in about 25 degrees celsius) the gauge would sit below the white line (below your 'old high temp' green line). On this trip the gauge would get up to your green line. I had absolutely no idea what the actual temp was, so I slowed down and drove with it on or just below the white line....
When I returned home I bought a Redarc coolant temp / boost / egt gauge, and put the probe into the top radiator hose near the thermostat.
I have found that with the gauge below the white line my water temp is 86 - 88. When the gauge it above the white line (just clear of it) my temps are up to 95 - which is where my temp alarm is set to come on. I have only had the temp alarm go off in high 30 degree temps towing a boat, and in really soft beach sand.
I am unsure on what your temps would be, but to be honest, the easiest and cheapest first step would be to buy a coolant temp gauge and work out exactly what temps you are getting... it has saved me from guessing!!

I understand that your anxiety and the subject of this thread is linked to the fact that the temperature has changed compared to what it was before.

It remains that what you observe as temperature corresponds to what Toyota indicates as "normal" (Taken from the Toyota owner manual | in French but certainly easy to understand ;)).

111.jpg

As has already been mentioned, buys and installs a mech gauge.

Clogged radiator is my call..... and as Greystroke says, if you have the equipment, skill and time, once tanks are removed, a dipstick fits down the tubes nicely for the cleanout.....

The 12HT runs cool, generally.

But, there's a combination of things that will cause any turbocharged diesel to get hot:
  • Steep Grades
  • Long Grades
  • Highway Speeds

You know.... like Floyd Hill, and Georgetown to the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels.

Guanella Pass isn't going to do it--because you're not doing highway speeds. I-25 isn't going to do it, because it's not steep (until you get to Raton), and going up to Morrison won't do it, because it's not long enough.

The Toyota gauges are not accurate, as other have mentioned, but what they are is consistent. The same gauge, with the same sender, and the same wiring will consistently be at the same place on the gauge for the same drive. What this really means is that you need to find out exactly what YOUR gauge is telling you. I have an ISSPro water temperature gauge installed in the radiator inlet of our HJ61, and I've checked it with an infrared thermometer just to be sure. There's a spot on the gauge where the needle typically rides that just happens to be at 185-195 degrees (doesn't seem to move within that range). But, the instant it starts climbing above that the water temperature is over 200, and by the time it makes it to the third mark we're at 210 (IF it makes it to the third mark--very rare). But your gauge will be different, which is why you need to find out what exactly your engine is doing with a real thermometer of some sort.

It's perfectly normal for the engine to warm up going up those big, long grades on the highway, but it should not overheat. In my book, anything over 215 is overheating, since I'm sure there are hot spots inside the engine that will be hotter than the sender unit is experiencing. If this happens, or is in danger of happening (which it will be if you are able to keep the speed up I-70, approximately 1/2 mi before the Evergreen Parkway, and about 1/2 mi before Silver Plume) then you need to change one of the three things that cause it to overheat. Unless you can regrade the highway the only one you can control is your speed. It costs fuel (heat/energy) to go fast. So downshift, slow down and bring the temps back down. If it gets REALLY hot, coast to a stop, but idle the engine at a little higher speed 1500rpm maybe to keep the fan turning quickly, and the coolant circulating--while not really making any power. The temperature will come down pretty quickly unless your fan clutch sucks, in which case it will take a little longer.

If you are convinced that the engine is truly getting hot, then a rebuild of the radiator is a solid bet. A-1 Radiator on Federal (north of I-76) is my favorite in town. They can replace the core if needed, or just boil it out. They can also add a bung to the radiator inlet so that you can install a water temperature gauge. The 12HT has limited places to measure water temp on the engine itself.

As to the list you've got: I like it. I like to buy new clamps with my hoses for a couple reasons: new Toyota clamps are super easy to install (they have a clip that you remove to set them), and then you'll have the old clamps as spares (along with the old hoses you removed). Hoses are a pretty crucial component in a trail spares box for me, because you really aren't going much of anywhere if you lose all of your coolant, and continue to do so. I wouldn't hesitate to use an Aisin water pump, but I wouldn't use anything that's not in a Toyota box or Aisin. eBay need not apply IMHO. I HATE worm drive clamps. The Toyota clamps are constant tension, and they used them for a reason. they also don't chew up the rubber hose.

But overall I agree with @ozcrusier here: you need to know what temperatures you're actually experiencing before you go replacing things and stuff.

Dan

Yep I would agree with Danshj45, understand where your Gauges baselines are, I've towed fully loaded in Australian summer a number of times, and have reached halfway on the temp gauge maybe a tad over a few times, and yes i was doing 110-120klms an hour up hills through Hawkesbury on a hwy north of Sydney, once we reached the top of range we pulled over had a bite to eat and let he old girl have a breather, Rule of thumb, with any old cruiser purchase, go through and replace water pump, hoses, coolant, check radiator, install new thermostate, = peace of mind,

Yeah, what Dan said. seems to me like it's working fine, but maybe the fan clutch is not 100% working.
With the 12ht you can drive pritty hard with just a 20% good fan clutch, and it will still not overheat.
Loan a good ir temp reader, change the t-stat and get a feeling for what language in numbers your temp gauge is talking.
I've only had variations in the temp gauge due to electrical problems, mainly a bad alternator.
Cant remember the scenario, but i think the temp gauge went up a few millimeters when the voltage was spiking at 28-29v.
When i put a load on the batteries, dash fan at max, compressor on, lights on full, the temp gauge would rock down a bit.

So, do a simpe check on your batteries charge, the alternator output and a load test to see if there is any rocking in the gauge.
You're probably just fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom