Aussie FJ62 survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday,
I thought I'd post up this 62 which I brought home yesterday. It's our 3rd 60 series but our first petrol version. We had an '85 which we converted to 12HT H55F and an '88 Sahara with factory 12HT and A440F but sold both about 18mths ago. Since then we have both missed the old wagons and decided to try and find another one. So after a very short period of time I found this 62 for sale in Brisbane. After so talk and an inspection a price was settled and we now owned another wagon!

We were interstate for Christmas holidays and picked the wagon up on our way back home. We then set off on a touch over 800km to home with a stop over in Roma for the night to break it up (we have small children). I'm happy to say the wagon performed faultlessly and am also impressed with the power the 3F has. I have only read complaints about the F series but am here to say the 3F is FAR better at highway speeds than the 2H ever was!

About 500km of the trip was in 110km/h zones and with the old girl hovering around that the fuel consumption averaged about 15l/100km. This is worse than my 12HT's which were 12.5 and 11.8 respectively but that equates to 3.2l worse or in money and extra $4.50 of petrol every 100km. Then if you consider the lower price of petrol it works out to about $3.90 per 100km. Then consider the premium demanded for 12HT powered landcruisers and I am very happy with my 135000km 3F!

No concrete plans for modifications at this stage but it won't stray too far from the stock appearance. We do want to fit some air conditioning as a priority as this basic model didn't have it from new. Anyway, here are a few pictures of her.

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

Very nice looking TIG, I love the ambulance doors and vinyl interior.

I love seeing carb'd 3F's too, we didn't get those either in North America.

love the bench front seat..

I have been recently thinking about the features of the 3F (carb version, like you have) ever since I found a 3F non-USA factory manual. Something of an arguing point (based mostly on hearsay) to many guys here in the USA is the choice of the proper thermostat for the 2F or 3-FE; either the 190º F (88º C) or the 180º F (82º C).

After seeing the picture of your 3F engine bay, it appears that this engine was sold in Australia without emissions control equipment installed. I don't see an EGR valve or any Air Injection equipment.

If so, it is interesting to note (for us guys in the USA) that the 3F FSM states that the correct thermostat for the 3F is the 190º F thermostat (not a 180). See pages from cooling section of 3F FSM; CO-11 on attached pdf.

This being the case, 190º F also is the correct thermostat value to use for the 2F (as is stated in the 2F manual) and the reason is not because of emissions requirements.

Nice Truck!

Attachments

• Pages from 1984 3F Engine FSM.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 422
That is a really nice truck! I love the ambulance doors in the back. You guys got all the cool stuff there, although I imagine if we only got ambulance doors, we would be envious of the tailgates.

Thanks guys. We are really please with this purchase. She starts first time everytime hot or cold and the kids love having another 60 too! We've just got to decide on a name now...

No name yet but it has gone through an engine conversion :)
Link for those who don't visit the diesel forum 1HDFTE - FJ62 conversion (Australia)

Next up is to install the 2nd hand AC kit that's sitting in the shed, no doubt with the help of the search engine in this forum!
IMG_8334.JPG

Last edited:
135k mate!? Shows with the state of the interior. Was this granny's ride to the shops?
I've got the same vinyl pulled out of a wrecker - has worn better than the original cloth but its cactus compared to yours.

That's about the perfect 60, at least in my mind.

Super clean....wow

@dousty

All of our 60 series here in the USA were equipped with air conditioning.

Since you mentioned that yours did not come with AC from the factory, did Toyota install any sort of metal mesh shield in front of the radiator (behind the grill)?

Or is the radiator open to the wind, with only the front grill to protect it?

I ask, because I've removed my AC condenser, and am wondering if I should install some sort of metal mesh in front of it to protect it from mayhem.

135k mate!? Shows with the state of the interior. Was this granny's ride to the shops?
I've got the same vinyl pulled out of a wrecker - has worn better than the original cloth but its cactus compared to yours.

No granny but this vehicle sat in a shed for many years.

That's about the perfect 60, at least in my mind.

Super clean....wow

Thanks Landpimp

@dousty

Since you mentioned that yours did not come with AC from the factory, did Toyota install any sort of metal mesh shield in front of the radiator (behind the grill)?

Or is the radiator open to the wind, with only the front grill to protect it?

I ask, because I've removed my AC condenser, and am wondering if I should install some sort of metal mesh in front of it to protect it from mayhem.

There's nothing between the grille and radiator OS. Some mesh could give you piece of mind though.

Wow. So that goes to show that all those Satoshi grills and whatnot on ALL vehicles are just BS for looks.

If the 1" gaps between the 60s front grill were good enough for Toyota, they're good enough for me. Thanks!

@dousty

Almost but not quite. I pulled parts from an early '80s FJ60, IIRC an '83 but may have been an '81, that lacked AC. Instead of having a box with the evaporator under the dash it had a short section of large diameter hose.

Early US 60 AC was a York compressor, not sure if the rest was OEM or semi aftermarket

Early December last year I had the right rear tyre drop all pressure very quickly (valve stem split). I was approaching a bridge and travelling at about 105km/h. By the time I had dropped my speed back to a crawl (very quickly) and gotten the vehicle clear of the bridge (this took longer) I had damaged the side wall of the deflated tyre. As such it was now U/S.

I had been planning to eventually move to 16x8 wheels for a cleaner look but certainly wasn't ready or able to allocate the money required at that stage. With our youngest boys 6th birthday looming as well as Christmas, our budget was already set. As well as that we were in the process of buying an MY16 200 series. So the 60 was parked in the shed and used for trips to the shop only...the spare tyre was old rubbish but all we had.

Today I picked up her news wheels/tyres. 16x8 ROH Trak2 (3.75" backspace) with BF Goodrich AT KO2 in 265/75x16. This size is something like 10.5x32 so keeps the tread within the guards and provides (imo) the best circumference for a touring 60 series.

Next job is to get back to the A/C install, which should be done just in time for winter!!

Oh, with the purchase of the 200 and the help of our 3yr old Molly, we finally named this vehicle "the old girl". No prizes for guessing the 200's name lol
IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8647.JPG

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8650.JPG

IMG_8652.JPG

Probably sound like a broken record, but mega jealous of the ambulance doors.

True landcruiser fashion

Even more jealous of the pristine

It's been busy this year. So far - Sorkel installed, swivel hub bearings and seals, wheel bearings, brake rotors and pads, brake hoses, Elocker installed, RCV front axles/birfs installed, EFS springs, anti inversion shackles, Bilstein shocks, TRE's, rear uni's.

Hopefully I'll never need to revisit the front diff again other than routine maintenance. I've finally begun the A/C install and will post it up when done.

IMG_8794.JPG
IMG_8791.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom